GEN2 Changing next year?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongNap

Reaction score
So I have to ask since I'm really starting to lean towards a new Gen2 bike. I really like the 2010 Candy Red color the most.

You think they will start changing the Vmax every few years or keep it the same like the Gen1 bikes?

Or would there be any way of knowing?

I would hate to buy a new 2010 and have them come out with a new model in 2013?

I had the same thoughts before I bought mine 3 days ago (as you know...). However, in buying the Gen2 (mine is a 2011), I benefit from a proven model in the 3rd year of production, or 2010 model for the 2nd year in your case, where most bugs have been ironed out.
The engineering on this bike is astounding. Believe me, I've researched for hours a day, and for weeks. Besides, the quality is impressive, in all its details.
The best thing to do, as I did, is to go see it in person. Look at the bike thoroughly, and you'll be amazed.

Just my 2 cents worth...

I believe they will make changes, based on the letter I received a few months ago. The Max is not selling in the new form, the reviews on it by the media, while thrilled with power, have not been exceedingly kind, and many are now showing up for sale with low miles and increasingly lower prices. I agree the red 2010 is a beauty, but the market for the bike most likely will not support future production in it's present form, imo.

And sad to say, the new ZX-14r 2012, just blows the new Max away at far lower cost and weight ,and with a smaller motor tops it in CHP and RWHP and I believe torque.

O

I have trouble visualizing the current gen2 still on sale 20 years from now. While technically I'm sure it's a fantastic piece of engineering, you don't see nationwide dealers selling Space Shuttles....gotta be a market for it, technical wonder only goes so far.

The problem now is that a "gen3" could never be anything less than it's predecessor. Yamaha can't go back to the 1198 mill, toss on some EFI, stuff it in a modern frame, put the tach in the right spot, and send it to market. Everyone would be OMG its slower than the last one and it would get laughed out of showrooms by critics even though it would otherwise have sold by the truckload if it had been the "2008 vmax"

If Yamaha sold a bike like that....1198, efi, modern frame, radials, and let's say 130hp at the tire, and a retail under $12k, I'd be all over one. A bike's soul lies in it's engine, and if that same basic 1198 was still for sale in a modern, competitive bike, that nostalgia factor would sail bikes out of showrooms....it's the same bike they loved in 1985, just updated, and competitive price and performance wise in the standard/streetfighter/naked category. The motor was so good there was no need to make a new one, and I have no doubt Yamaha could wring another 15-20rwhp out of it if they wanted to.

IMO Yamaha shot the "Vmax" name in the gut with the gen2. It'll die, but not before clinging along in agony for a while.

Or as Jeremy Clarkson would say...."it would have been better if it was worse".

But remember, the Gen1 didn't sell that well at first either. There were so many 85's & 86's still in the warehouses, they didn't even offer an 87 in the USA. After I had my first 85 wiped out by an idiot cager, I was able to buy a "New, still in the crate" 85 leftover in Oct 87.

Somehow, the Gen1 then caught on, and the rest is history now.

I think they'll more-than-likely keep with the same formula as the Gen I. Minor upgrades (if any at all) and a color change as years progress.

It proved to work before, and apparently still works.

I sincerely hope Yamaha keeps the Gen II. They will likely offer it in one or two colors a year. I Love the Red 2010 but, it just not
in the cards for me. My FZ8 is a Sweet Bike and I didn't have to sell my soul to buy it... Although it's a compromise, it's a fun one.
And, my "Fixed Income" isn't over taxed by the purchase... Please, if you can afford a Gen II, Go For It... It's a Monster Ride...:clapping::clapping::clapping:
I've actually had the chance to ride one in a semi out of control way. And, this time I didn't get pulled over while doing 15 mph...:rofl_200:

I sincerely hope Yamaha keeps the Gen II. They will likely offer it in one or two colors a year. I Love the Red 2010 but, it just not
in the cards for me. My FZ8 is a Sweet Bike and I didn't have to sell my soul to buy it... Although it's a compromise, it's a fun one.
And, my "Fixed Income" isn't over taxed by the purchase... Please, if you can afford a Gen II, Go For It... It's a Monster Ride...:clapping::clapping::clapping:
I've actually had the chance to ride one in a semi out of control way. And, this time I didn't get pulled over while doing 15 mph...:rofl_200:

I have my GEN1 for sale now and once it's gone (with a few others) I will be getting a GEN2 and if not a GEN2 I will pickup that 07 NOS.

I found one with 7 miles at a dealer 300 miles from me. 16300 was his price so once I get the bikes gone and my wife's new ride bought... I will be shopping again.

I rode a 09 yesterday and was able to take it for a 15 minute ride. I tested take off and breaking. The bike has a lot of power and easily spins in 1st and 2nd just on gas alone. Braking was a trip and I was able to almost lock up both tires from a 60 mph roll all the way to a stop... in what seemed like 50 feet. Awesome ABS on that bike!

I still like the Gen1 for regular riding... I felt like the Gen2 wasn't a smooth as the Gen1 at low speeds and just didn't have that beefy feel! The G1 just feels solid to me while the G2 is more like a sports bike. In fact it almost felt chain driven at times.

G2 is crazy fast but will take me some time to adjust after getting use to a G1 again.

Thanks for all the feed back... I have the bug... just need to get the money now! ;)

Cheers,
David.

I've been riding a 2002 R1 for the last year, so my opinion may be slightly biased..

I rode a gen 1 (06) for the first time tuesday of last week after putting fork seals in it. It had great power and torque, felt light for what it was, and it actually turned decently. Definitely not as fast as my R1, but had a fun powerband. Overall liked the bike very much.

That saturday I did an oil pump recall on a gen 2 and had to test ride it afterwards. It's literally a night and day difference between the 2. The gen 2 has INSANE amount of power, makes my R1 feel slow. The gen 2 is much heavier but feels much much lighter once you get up to speed. It flicks faster, even though it's heavier and longer. That same bike got traded in, I'm waiting for the paperwork to get in so I can buy it. I'm "test riding" it for the weekend and just got back from doing 60 miles.. I absolutely love it.

As a tech, I ride A LOT of bikes. The gen 2 Vmax is completely different from anything I've ever experienced.

That being said, I do have a few complaints about the Gen 2. The fuel economy SUCKS!!! The low speed and part throttle fueling is a little twitchy. Traction is an issue in the first 2 gears.

I've been riding a 2002 R1 for the last year, so my opinion may be slightly biased..

I rode a gen 1 (06) for the first time tuesday of last week after putting fork seals in it. It had great power and torque, felt light for what it was, and it actually turned decently. Definitely not as fast as my R1, but had a fun powerband. Overall liked the bike very much.

That saturday I did an oil pump recall on a gen 2 and had to test ride it afterwards. It's literally a night and day difference between the 2. The gen 2 has INSANE amount of power, makes my R1 feel slow. The gen 2 is much heavier but feels much much lighter once you get up to speed. It flicks faster, even though it's heavier and longer. That same bike got traded in, I'm waiting for the paperwork to get in so I can buy it. I'm "test riding" it for the weekend and just got back from doing 60 miles.. I absolutely love it.

As a tech, I ride A LOT of bikes. The gen 2 Vmax is completely different from anything I've ever experienced.

Ill have to do some reading on the oil pump or any other recall that's on a 2009 but I did pick up that 09 I test rode on Friday. I love the bike even know it hurt my back (hip) from a 220 mile ride yesterday!

People who want a Vmax are going to buy a Vmax I remember back in 04 I was contemplating buying a new bike and I could buy a Hayabusa for way less than a gen one (all they made then) Vmax. Comparing a gen 2 to the zx14r isn't a fair comparison because the Kaw isn't a sport touring bike like the Vmax, although from what hear about the mileage and fuel tank size of the gen 2 I guess it really shouldn't be considered one either. I'll stick with my 94 but after riding a gen 2 I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for a deal on one...

Ill have to do some reading on the oil pump or any other recall that's on a 2009 but I did pick up that 09 I test rode on Friday. I love the bike even know it hurt my back (hip) from a 220 mile ride yesterday!

Congrats on joining the gen2 crew. It's been cold and rainy up here in MI, but I've managed to put about 200 miles on mine since I bought it a couple weeks ago. I made sure the previous owner had the oil pump recall done before I agreed to the purchase. He had a tight relationship with his dealer, so I trusted his more than my local dealer (plus mine has never sold a gen2, let alone work on one).

Here are the USA VIN's for the oil pump recall:

VMX17Y
VP29E‐0000013~0002047

VMX17YC (California Specification)
VP29Y‐0000033~0000307

Here are the USA VIN's for the wiring harness recall:

VMX17Y
VP29E-0000013 to 0000611

VP29Y-0000033 - 0000132

PS: Did you call that Westfield dealership about the 2010? Just curious if that one has sold yet.

Scott

Is that George Danke? Did you go to M&M looking, too? I would like the new tech but I don't think at the prices they go for now I would buy a Gen II. Maybe if they get to $10K or below, I have seen some locally w/low mi for ~$12K.

Congrats on joining the gen2 crew. It's been cold and rainy up here in MI, but I've managed to put about 200 miles on mine since I bought it a couple weeks ago. I made sure the previous owner had the oil pump recall done before I agreed to the purchase. He had a tight relationship with his dealer, so I trusted his more than my local dealer (plus mine has never sold a gen2, let alone work on one).

VMX17Y
VP29E‐0000013~0002047

VP29Y‐0000033~0000307

VMX17Y
VP29E-0000013 to 0000611

VP29Y-0000033 - 0000132

PS: Did you call that Westfield dealership about the 2010? Just curious if that one has sold yet.

Scott

Is that George Danke? Did you go to M&M looking, too? I would like the new tech but I don't think at the prices they go for now I would buy a Gen II. Maybe if they get to $10K or below, I have seen some locally w/low mi for ~$12K.

No, Custom Connection Motorsports opened in BC about 6 years ago (I think). Danke got his dealership license yanked a very long time ago for some sort of shady activity (I don't recall what it was), but he still sells parts and does some repair work. I know I don't trust the guy to touch anything of mine, so I don't know how he's managed to stay in business all these years. I went to M&M in K-zoo multiple times since the intro of the gen2 hoping to see one, but they never ordered or sold one as far as I know.

I wasn't sure I wanted a gen2 either until I saw them for the first time on a Vmax outing last summer. I'm a bit leery of all the new tech too, but I was ready for something new and there was nothing I was interested in other than an FJR1300. The FJR is a very nice bike, but it just doesn't have that "cool factor" that I was looking for and I wasn't ready for a full-on touring bike. I decided that if I found a stock, low mileage '09 for $12K I would go for it. That didn't happen until about 6 weeks ago.

Took about 4 weeks to complete the deal because I was waiting for official word from Yamaha regarding the recall and to let the previous owner get it taken care of. It's a very simple fix to change out the oil pump, but if the tech doesn't follow the install instructions carefully it can result in a total engine failure (two documented cases that I'm aware of). That's why I wanted a trusted dealer to do the recall work.

After riding the gen2 I have ZERO buyer's remorse... it really is THAT much fun to ride. I can't help but grin like an idiot every time I crack that throttle. :biglaugh:

Scott

That's a great assessment and right on the money. The Gen 2 Max is like nothing out there. It's the whole feel of the bike, but mostly the WAY it makes it's power....dosen't feel like ANY other bike.
As far as comparisons to ZX Whatevers or Busas.....the VMax was never designed to compete with that kind of bike.....those bikes were never in the sights of the Yamaha Engineers. The fun thing is I've been able to run with and beat some of those bikes on the street and at the track. That's how amazing the Gen 2 is. Just a great bike. (Oh...yeah......the fuel range kind a sucks.............but I don't care!)

VMX17Y
VP29E‐0000013~0002047

VP29Y‐0000033~0000307

VMX17Y
VP29E-0000013 to 0000611

VP29Y-0000033 - 0000132

Scott

I did and he does still have it. 14K with 500 miles on the bike. Has one very small scratch on the right scoop near the rider topside. Other then that the bike is like new. I paid 13800 for mine 09 with 1700 miles... no scratch ;)

Also wanted to thank you for the lead to them... that bike helped me buy down the 09... otherwise I was buying the 2010.

I did and he does still have it. 14K with 500 miles on the bike. Has one very small scratch on the right scoop near the rider topside. Other then that the bike is like new. I paid 13800 for mine 09 with 1700 miles... no scratch ;)

Also wanted to thank you for the lead to them... that bike helped me buy down the 09... otherwise I was buying the 2010.

Although that's still the best price I've seen on a 2010, at $15K OTD I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much. I'm glad I waited for the '09 that I have now (and I got it for a lot less $$$$). At first I liked the red better than the black because it's got a more eye-catching pop to it, but now I think I prefer the black because it gives the bike a tougher/meaner look IMO.

Glad my info was helpful... and saved you a few bucks, too.

I don't know if you're aware of it, but you might want to join the StarVmax forum too. http://www.starvmax.com/forum/recent Lots of good people and info over there regarding gen2 mods, etc.

Scott

Scott - It did help and after forwarding the sales guys picture to him and saying I'm getting ready to buy this bike today... I got a better price! LOL

Funny how that works.

Just tried site and it appears to be down.. I get a 301 error message?

Can you try it and let me know?

Thanks,
David.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-11-22 at 4.56.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-11-22 at 4.56.21 PM.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 9
Back