Gen2 Gas Tank Removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Akbash did he smooth out the welds of the new 24.5 tank or the welds on the frame? If it's a matter of smoothing welds in the new tank, I just may remove it and grid/paint it

Once he sends me a picture of how his liner fits i will post it. As far as i know he only smoothed out the weld on left top side of tank that was keeping the tank from going more forward. He said if he wanted the liner to fit 100% on the one side he would have smoothed out the welds on tank were plastic liner touches the tank.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks Akbash.

Anyone have any suggestions for good/long lasting/easy to apply paint if I grind the tank down a bit?

37A9513F-5B79-4EF3-9223-0D03E3DA8996.jpeg

Attachments

• AE5B7381-63DB-40E2-ABFB-3DB866549D38.jpeg
    AE5B7381-63DB-40E2-ABFB-3DB866549D38.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 35
  • AF4D4AA3-D00A-4399-81BC-B53B52C6C301.jpeg
    AF4D4AA3-D00A-4399-81BC-B53B52C6C301.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 0402EF79-06C6-4566-919E-B22AD78765E2.jpeg
    0402EF79-06C6-4566-919E-B22AD78765E2.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 35
I wonder if the tank is hand made so the each tank is different. When I push my tank in as far as it can be, the rear lining was off by almost an inch.

I was not there when he did the install I just went down to see it when it was all finished. I know he also mentioned about the rubber supports being shaped down for proper fitment. The tanks are welded by hand but the aluminum cut panels should probably be the same they probably have them all laser cut out. Maybe my friend was lucky with his tank getting the liner to fit with out mods.I ordered the same tank since he has installed it already so he will be a big help when the time comes for my install. Since I have the bike reflashed and dyno tuned with the PCV and added the TT mod with all DNA filters my bike sucks back the fuel need the extra range now for sure. The tuner guy told me my bike will use more fuel now since I added more air I need more fuel for the almost perfect AFR ratio which he achieved.

Awesome, thanks Akbash.

Anyone have any suggestions for good/long lasting/easy to apply paint if I grind the tank down a bit?
POR-15 is about bulletproof when it comes to paint/coatings and you can get it in a spray can.

I may wimp out on the weld grinding and try to find a local expert in northern Virginia to help me with it... I don't want to give myself a tank leak in grinding down the tank to get it to fit. I thinking about trying to find someone to grind all of the welds down smooth across the whole tank...

I would check first to see if indeed on your tank some of the excess welds are causing a fitment problem. I just ordered mine so i wont see it for awhile. Like foreverblue mentioned each tank could slightly fit different since its welded by hand and not done by a machine. Wander if the rubber spacers make a difference in the way and how much you have to shave off for fitment also.Foreverblue had to rotate his fuel cap so it did not catch on the seat release bar. Were on my friends install you can see by the picture i posted he has room for his cap in stock location. I could have same problem when i get mine time will tell but once i am done i will post to let everybody know how it went and what i had too do to make it fit proper.

Last edited:
Couldn't wait pulled my stock tank out going take my new tank and rear frame down to my friends shop to transfer everything over. He installed his with no fitment issues. Will update how it turns out and also let everyone know if i find what causes fitment issues when its time to install rear fender. I know with taking it all a apart that reusing some of those plastic push pins to join the three parts of the liner could cause fitment issues with them sticking so far past the liner might cause liner to push away from tank causing the fender to not sit proper making it hard to get a good fit

Spent alot of time figuring out the 24.5 liter tank install. Took my time and got it to fit nice. I installed the tank first then installed frame no problems lining up frame bolts did this install by my self. The front plastic liner is important how it fits. Took out four rubbers from front were tank slides in. Used muscle to get those brake lines to side of tank. Also have my fuel cap in factory position. Another thing dont bother with any rubber pads tell tank is installed in frame on bike. So what i did is have tank on bench then slide frame onto tank then positioned it were i wanted key is getting the back end as high as you can to frame so rear liner can fit tight to tank. I had to grind a little bit in certain areas were the side of tank fit were covers go on so tank would be allowed to tilt up more in back end this let me keep my factory position for fuel cap and rear liner fit nice. While tank and frame were out i also cut out the cross member that seat sits on and bolted on a new cross member this way if i ever have a fuel pump issue or leak just need to unbolt two bolts and remove it. Here is a few pictures A5D55D42-5B37-4DDF-80C0-E7976DB39C89.jpeg44FC69EF-BD6D-4134-B0E9-9844DC933919.jpeg00045825-9DA4-454E-861F-369A09D18986.jpeg7FCAD2A0-6183-40A8-A89F-D637C201F55B.jpeg6D1B997B-1C61-4A91-AF20-01383623C911.jpeg

Last edited:
I did not run my seat release cable like they say too in directions as you can see in pictures i ran it under the last frame support had to grind a bit on front on support for cable to fit. If i ran it up beside tank it would not let me raise back of tank high enough to frame and liner would not fit proper. In picture you will see to plastic rivets you have to leave out on install so rear tail liner will fit flush to tank. In other picture you will see were i grinded frame a bit to allow that part of tank to tilt up more so rear of tank will sit close to frame. 724051FD-70D2-42CF-AF9E-CF8E2AEEA558.jpeg8986C4E4-A57A-4C76-8618-CF1331E92E44.jpeg2FF466AA-D8BC-4DA2-A6F8-BD9A48487AAD.jpeg

Since i have the Guru reflash i took out that exhaust motor so it let me lift up the cable harness made positioning the rear liner easier with motor in place the cable harness was basically sitting on rear liner so you could not push liner up for proper fit 73544DBC-AB87-4C5D-AC4D-D164FF307214.jpeg64AB47ED-E7EB-46A1-B6FB-3D93F8860A9F.jpeg

This is a key factor for tank install the front liner here you can see what i cut out for tank to position proper. You have to take out the vent the rubber under plastic cable harness and the rubber the rubber you see in picture.This area is a very tight fit so tight that with me installing two thin layers of heat reflective tape on front of tank it made my installing tank slightly harder before tape on final test fit the whole liner would pull back towards back of bike and position so much easier then i added the heat tape and liner was so much harder to position. Also there is a gold coloured mount that connects to both brake lines that liner bolts on too. Disconnect the brake line that is only clipped on to the mount this will allow you too gets brake lines to the side which you really have to muscle to get them there. Another note dont install the two bottom frame bolts tell near the end this will allow you too to tilt frame and tank up so to can position liner to fit proper on fender. You have to pull whole liner assembly towards back.I also cut off those plastic rubber mounts off that hang below cable harness were fuel line comes out makes install easier 7304193D-C117-466E-B0E7-7EE18368DF25.jpeg5BD322A3-276E-4D4A-AD9D-9D1BB733B7EE.jpeg022DBB6C-F7A3-4D46-A038-33A81269C13A.jpeg

Last edited:
Back