Gen2 Gas Tank Removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jedz. I have been looking really hard at the Cruise Control Options. I had throttle lock on my Gen 1. It was pretty crappy. A real cruise control for highway driving is critical. There is only one for sure option and then I have high hopes for a second.

The first is Tuneboy out of Australia. Here is a thread on the topic.
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/tuneboy.48465/
They say that theirs works now. However there are no separate controls, it is a flash of the ECU. That makes it easy but I really want +/- and On/ Off

The second one is also Australia, MC Cruise .
https://www.mccruise.com/blogs/news/latest-news-on-throttle-by-wire-mccruise
I have written them a couple of times. I had plans to put their servo system on the Gen 1 but have upgraded to the Gen2. They have been dark and not answering any questions since the epidemic started. Theirs is really the one I want. The install will be harder but the slimline controls next to the clutch would be awesome.

Now I have to think about pairing all of this with a larger tank.... If I am going to take everything apart, might as well do it only once.

Thanks for the share here! I have a single button set Cruise on my Bonneville and I have no problem with the single button cruise. I like the Tune boy option but I have a Gururued tuned ECU and really don't want to loose that tune as it was set for the bike... I think I will reach out but if it requires an ECU shipment I would wait until I put the bike up for the winter or get a second ECU and have them put their tunr and cruise control on....

I did order a throttle lock to help, I'm not the biggest fan of them for bikes seem to walk away, I had one on my Concours 14 and it did it's job, gave my right hand a minute or 2 break. The true electric cruise is the best thing ever to find it's way to motorcycles. Big reason on why I have 64K miles on my 2 year old triumph.

Best,

I was wondering about replacing the O rings as part of the assembly. They definitely can take a set and lose their sealing ability.

I run the Shinko Verge 011 front and back. When I went to these handling improved dramatically. I usually get about 5000-6000 out of them. Never a problem. Fairly inexpensive as MC tires Igo. I bought a No Mar tire changer. Well a few of us kicked in. It has been a good investment. I will say that the back tire can be a little rough going on. Others have bitched also. It is a stiff side wall and fairly low profile. Much easier if the tire has been out in the sun and 2 people.

Also got a balancer off Amazon I think it was. That has been good also. If you take your time it does the job.

Have you changed the plugs yet? That is a challenge as well. I found a 1" extension and universal (flex U joint) with a spark plug socket is the best. But still a PIA.

I was wondering about replacing the O rings as part of the assembly. They definitely can take a set and lose their sealing ability.

I run the Shinko Verge 011 front and back. When I went to these handling improved dramatically. I usually get about 5000-6000 out of them. Never a problem. Fairly inexpensive as MC tires Igo. I bought a No Mar tire changer. Well a few of us kicked in. It has been a good investment. I will say that the back tire can be a little rough going on. Others have bitched also. It is a stiff side wall and fairly low profile. Much easier if the tire has been out in the sun and 2 people.

Also got a balancer off Amazon I think it was. That has been good also. If you take your time it does the job.

Have you changed the plugs yet? That is a challenge as well. I found a 1" extension and universal (flex U joint) with a spark plug socket is the best. But still a PIA.
I really like the 011, this new one is gripping very well (no wheel spin) and it holding up. The first tire was a 011 but it was dead right at 2K miles. 6K miles isnt bad considering the price of the tire. I do all my tires by hand with spoons. Pretty proficient with minimal scuffs.

Haven't done the plugs yet. I think I'll add it to the annual maintenance.

How about valve adjustments? I heard these things never get whacky.

Thanks so much for the information!

I have not done valves. That I would have a short do. But the old VMAX'forem which is gone. The guys that did get valves done all were pretty much spot on. So I don't plan to do it.

I don't remember the milage when I did plugs but I am on my 3rd set at 48k and they all looked like dam near New when they came out. So I wouldn't go nuts changing them every season unless you pile on the miles.

I'm done with spending money on range... And honestly that was the worst bang for the buck for range.
Best,

Hi Foreverblue..
I have not gotten my tank! It is someplace in NY. They [Maerz] shipped it DHL is also German postal service... Once it got to NY the USPS took it and I can not get an answer from anyone at the USPS. They really suck.. The owner of F Maerz was in the hospital for a few days I think last week or the week before. I sent him a follow on email yesterday and not heard back yet. So I don't know what is going on.

I have a good friend in Germany. He as called Maerz for me once before. He is on vacation, for a few days. When he gets back I'll have him call them for me.

According to our glorious USPS the tracer for the part has to start with DHL Germany.. Total BS. I tried tracking it again this AM on the USPS tracking site, and it is down.. I can't believe these guys...

And they say they can handle 90 million presidential ballots securely! I don't think so.. It took 7 days for a letter mailed from my house to get across town!

Anyway.. I am in Flemington, NJ... Where are you??

Hi Jerry,

I am in Rockaway, NJ.
How long the tank has been in USPS' hand?
I emailed Maerz two times and haven't hear back from him. (July and August) Want to do this during off season with airbox mod, exhaust, and ECU.

This November is going to be interesting with USPS....

Wei

Took almost 6 weeks to get my Tank, I'm located in Vermont... I ordered the tank the day i knew I was going to buy my Gen 2... I never want to do that project again. Been working great though. 160 miles is a very safe average of my range. Commuting with the Max and I fill and have about a spare half gallon left. I bet with Cruise I will be able to hit 170 miles no problem... Planning on touring with it next year.
Cheers.

Took almost 6 weeks to get my Tank, I'm located in Vermont... I ordered the tank the day i knew I was going to buy my Gen 2... I never want to do that project again. Been working great though. 160 miles is a very safe average of my range. Commuting with the Max and I fill and have about a spare half gallon left. I bet with Cruise I will be able to hit 170 miles no problem... Planning on touring with it next year.
Cheers.
What are you doing for Cruise? I have been working with MCCruise in Australia to get a system for mine. I owe them wiring harness measurements next.

My bikes go into a deep slumber for 4 months a year and that point I'll have the VMAX in my shop and plan to flash the ECU with TUNEBOYS latest flash and tune for Cruise and Quick shifting. I'll pull that trigger once the car comes off the trickle charger and comes out of the shop and the bikes go in. November I'm thinking. TuneBoy Cruise Control Gen II VMAX

Cheers.
You did it in 1 days which I still can't believe..

Your tank to 6 weeks to deliver ! Do you know why it took so long?? I'll be at 4 weeks in a couple of days.. Mine had been in NY Postal sorting center since 8/5.. I can't get the postal service to help at all..

You did it in 1 days which I still can't believe..

Your tank to 6 weeks to deliver ! Do you know why it took so long?? I'll be at 4 weeks in a couple of days.. Mine had been in NY Postal sorting center since 8/5.. I can't get the postal service to help at all..
Yup The video is above, 5.5ish hours. Told the RAATS guys and they were impressed for it takes that long with 2 guys doing it and they do it pretty often.

As for the shipping I know customs snared it for a bit. I clearly remember checking in with RAATS on the 4th week looking for some shipping info. They had more information on their side and it was sitting with US customs. Pretty sure it came over on a boat. Takes awhile... Patience is a virtue. I knew the wait time to the US was notoriously long so I ordered a good week before getting the bike. came in over a month after I had the bike. Believe it or not it beat the Vermont Registration since our DMV is closed, that took almost 2 months!

I have a good friend in Germany. He as called Maerz for me once before. He is on vacation, for a few days. When he gets back I'll have him call them for me.

Just saying, my German is pretty decent ... but should be as it is my primary language :)

Hey Jerry,

Could you send me a message when you know Maerz gets back from vacation? I might have to send him another email about buying the tank.

Thanks,

Wei

Hi Wei
I got my tank yesterday.. I don't know what the hell is going on with the Marz guys.. I emailed them again and Nothing back.. it is very strange... I'll ask my buddy over there to give a call and see if anyone answers the phone..

The tank is a think a beauty. The guy that put that thing together is a real craftsman. There must be 1/4 mile of weld on that thing..

We have a 3 day ride coming up and to be honest I am on the fence to do this before or after the trip. I don't want to be in a situation where I pinched a hidden wire, or have a leak 300 mi from home and hold up the whole group and then have to figure out how to get me and my machine home.. I may do it next week or I'll do it the beginning of Oct.

Hi Wei
I got my tank yesterday.. I don't know what the hell is going on with the Marz guys.. I emailed them again and Nothing back.. it is very strange... I'll ask my buddy over there to give a call and see if anyone answers the phone..

The tank is a think a beauty. The guy that put that thing together is a real craftsman. There must be 1/4 mile of weld on that thing..
Please post a few photos.

Back