Gen2 Gas Tank Removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did replace the gasket under the pump and fill. We just made the nuts tight. The flange basically bottoms against the tank and that makes for proper compression of the gasket.

My tank is a little different. I bent the float about as shown. I get a low fuel at about 140 mi now and that is at an average of 32 mpg. At 150 was about 4.6 gal.

I would suggest doing a 100% fill to see what the tank takes. I didn't do that so just assuming the vendor spec at 24 litter is true.

I do like the nut and bolt extension on the fuel pick up. Mine was a press fit and then the oem nylon coupler / latch thing just grabbed the edge of the fuel pickup extension flange.

I do miss the overflow catcher rubber thing that used to sit under the case cap. That was a toss on my install. But also not as anal about getting every last drop in any more either.

Are you Nuts? .. *they*they*
Sorry, just kidding, but this triggers my OCD.

What about a nice and shiny spacer? Or a nice and clean piece of a pipe?
That is how they came in the package.. I did have to take out 2 nuts bc I was not able seat all the way in.

If you're talking about that vent thing. I ditched it. Ran the vent line about the way you did.

All the wires and connectors I ran in front of that frame rail and zip tied the bundle.

2 pounds of crap in a 1 pound can has a new meaning.

Just try to get everything line up for the subframe bolts was the pain also.

We had a real hard time with the sub frame also. The alignment mostly on the tool kit side didn't align well. We really had to wrestle it in.

Just be careful not to cross the threads.

The tail section was a bitch too. Lots to get lined up.

The fitment drive me nuts. Not everything is like in the pictures. I had to flip the gas cap 180 bc it get stuck....

Because that I am going to buy a new vent line tomorrow....
20201206_142423.jpg

My hat's off to you guys...too involved for me, I'll just keep stopping at every gas station I see coming up! :)

I am at the part putting the rear fender back.... the fitment is really really drive me nuts... the under lining does not marry to the fender. Off by 1/2 inch.

:mad:

Thinking about use the heat gun to soften the plastic then push is back in....

Yaaaaaaa

Maybe I should purchase the 22 liter tank instead of 24 liter....

I don't remember mine being a PIA going back. I remember NOT remembering how the back section where the rear break resivior is. It was one of these over or under or into the rubber gromit to the tank flange I believe.

Look around and maybe you'll see something that is causing the alignment issue.

I completely understand . I think 1 liter less capacity could have made the job a lot easier.

Wow .. that is very strange.. Is that the plastic inner fender that is showing that gap under the painted fender?? I'll have to go look at my bike... Something is wrong..

That inner fender looks different then my 09. Were you able to get the tail light and blinker assy bolted in. Looking at mine.. There are some bolts that thread up from the underside and thru the tail assy. I would think that if that aligns correctly you should be good..

I could potentially pull the side covers, seat, and pillion and take some pics if that would help getting your bike back together.

I emailed schwabenmax.de about this and they said the tank should be 5 mm more towards the engine, but he front of the tank is already hitting 2 pipes.
20201214_173129.jpg

My tank had this rubber steip glued to the top of the section that slips between those 2 "pipes" There was NO WAY it was going in with that rubber strip on top. We pulled it off and that helped a lot.

My vendor said install the tank, then the sub frame. Is that how you're doing it.??

Where are you located?

My vendor said marry the tank to sub frame first then to the bike.

I am in Rockway, NJ.

If all else fails, I am going to cut and modify the rear fender lining..

I'm not that far from you if you could use a hand.. Unfortunately, as you know were are going to get our asses handed to us by mother nature the next couple of days..

I am not in the hurry. I have the whole winter to do this.
The 2 hoses where front of gas tank press against on are brake lines. schwabenmax.de said the brackets of the brake lines must be loosened & the two lines must be pressed to the right outside so that the tank can past them.
2020-12-16_9-07-45.jpg

Latest posts

Back