Quantcast

Gen2 Gas Tank Removal

Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

Jerry Klay

Reaction score
That clip was a PIA.. Honestly I don't recall how we left it.. I know we had a piece of wire and tied it someplace, then couldn't get the tank in. I think it kind of found its home on its own and we left it.. We had the tank in and out so many times trying to get the sub frame back in we kind of lost track of it..

Jerry Klay

Reaction score
Yes.. The mount for that clip was on some of the plastic inner fender that at least on my build was cut off..

Foreverblue

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to take out the tank again for the 3rd time....
Yay.....

D Larson

Reaction score
I'm not that far from you if you could use a hand.. Unfortunately, as you know were are going to get our asses handed to us by mother nature the next couple of days..
I am 8 to 10 hours away. It is not close but would like to help. I am going to order a tank and would appreciate the chance to assist before I do it myself. If you guys do this after New Years please let me know.

Foreverblue

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am 8 to 10 hours away. It is not close but would like to help. I am going to order a tank and would appreciate the chance to assist before I do it myself. If you guys do this after New Years please let me know.
If everything goes well, hopefully this weekend I can get it done. At this point, I can disassemble the rear and gas tank between 30 min to an 1 hour.

This is what I learn from this project.
There are 2 versions of the tank, 21.5 to 22 liter and the 24.5 liter pending which company you want to go with. The 21.5 to 22 liter, you will have easier time to fit. the 24.5 liter has much tighter fit.

This easy parts are disassemble the rear and preparing the new tank.
This disassemble I put them in the following category:
  • Side panels
  • 2 seats
  • Exhaust
  • Rear Fender/Rear Fender lining
  • Tail light/turn signal
  • Sub Frame
  • Gas tank
Take pictures before you take stuff apart.

Dremel is needed for cutting the plastic.

Wiring is not bad, only 3 things you need to change. The release cable, the extension of rear brake hose to the reservoir and the 2 wires in front of tank need to be relocate.

The pain is marrying the tank to sub frame then to the bike. You need a second pair of hands.
When putting back the gas tank and sub frame, do the top 2 bolts first then press down the end of sub frame to line up the bottom 2 bolts.

Don't rush it and take your time. This is going to be my 4th weekend to do this.

When its your time to do it, I am here if you have questions. So far I have about 50 pictures for this project.

Last edited:

Foreverblue

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after 3 weeks of been lazy, the bike is finally done....
After following Schwabenmax's suggestion, I still had fitment issue for the rear lining. In the end, I use Dremel, heat gun, and JP Weld to modify the lining in order to fit the rear fender.
While putting everything back, I did the air box mod and halo light and turn signal.

Traumahawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After following Schwabenmax's suggestion, I still had fitment issue for the rear lining. In the end, I use Dremel, heat gun, and JP Weld to modify the lining in order to fit the rear fender.
While putting everything back, I did the air box mod and halo light and turn signal.
Did you take pics....like a before and after?

D Larson

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the Air Box Mod?

Latest posts