Gen2 Gas Tank Removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Klay

Reaction score
Has anyone removed and replaced the tank on a Gen2?

I am looking at removing and installing a new 24 ltr tank and the vendor sent me some very intimidation instructions and I am wondering if anyone had personally done this..

Thanks...

It sure is. However I am thinking it might be the way to go. The 100 mile range limit is ok if you never leave the city streets. Yesterday my warning light came on just as I passed an intersection on the freeway. At the next exit there was no gas, so I got off and went back to the previous one to get fuel. It was better than running out but I sure felt stupid for back tracking for gas.

It definitely sucks.. I have come so close so many times.

Im thinking even as big a PIA this will be.. Even if I took the better part of a week to do it. Would not need to bad.

I would get help. Probably film it. There are so many parts to remove it would be easy to screw up. I will be eager to hear your experience. By the way, the website for the L3K says out of stock. They must be selling them to somebody. I wonder where the other feedback is for it.

I would not get involved with L3K.. I have heard of leak problems, and they are always out of stock and numerous people not being able to get in touch with them. I looked at the YouTube video they [L3K] or someone posted on the removal.. I suspect that this tank install would have very similar dis assembly procedures. The tank I am looking at is from Germany and is a welded Aluminum. I like the idea of an Aluminum tank.. The final cost delivered to NJ with all the necessary parts is about $1200 [1090 euro]

I attached the instructions that the vendor sent me.. A bit intimidating.. I think part of the reason I am concerned is that my 09 has been 99% rock solid.. I had 1 starting issue that I posted about.. and I would hate to compromise the reliability for a wire I routed wrong by accident and have it quit 500 miles from home.. But would love to add 70 miles to my re fuel range.

My riding buddy is really good mechanically an I'm pretty sure we could get it done..

http://www.v-max-f-maerz.de/vmaxkatalog/750/754i_en.html

Attachments

• 754H Tank EN Vmax.pdf
    485.8 KB · Views: 31
Thank for the link. I had not heard of these guys. The website is old school but they are much more professional than L3K. Lots of interesting mods for Gen1 and Gen2.

I understand you point on creating problems. I have been talking to MCCruise about a system for the Gen2. There will be lots of places to open the wiring harness and cause a problem.

There are 2 companies.. they work together.. The guy I email with who is very good is Paul. A long time ago I got my Highway Pegs and a luggage rack so I could put some soft bags on the bike.. Both worked out really well..

I am pretty fastidious with wiring been doing it for 20+ years on lots of stuff.

To be honest. I think the web site is refreshingly SIMPLE..

Those are impressive pegs. I got the ones from IROCTEC. They have suited me well for a month.

Attachments

• KIMG0235.JPG
    KIMG0235.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 28
Greetings!. Installed a Raats 5.75 gallon tank on. Love it, came off a +600 mile weekend got gas 4 times.

It's a HUGE task but anyone that knows how to work on MCs can get it done in about 5 hours.

Jedz .. I think the tank I bought from these German guys is the same tank.. Al and welded. There were some payment issues with the German guys but it should be on its way today or tomorrow. It does look like a tough job, but like a lot of guys I really like the bike it is just the range.. It has been hot as hell as you know [I'm in NJ, saw you are in VT] so I would not have done it this past week anyway. And, when I start it I want to finish in a couple of days or I won't remember where half the shit goes. :-(

I have NO intention of trying to do this in 1 day.. You really cranked 5 Hrs.. amazing. I figured that long to get it apart. I think it was great that you took a video.. My guy sent some hand drawn pics of some plastic that needs to be cut as well. The drawings really suck, but I did find another site that had some decent pics of what they did.

My 2009 has almost 50K miles.. Yes, should have done this long ago.. Just hope there are not too many frozen cruddy bolts..

If I get into trouble I'll post something and maybe you can help...

BTW.. did you just do this in the past couple of weeks?? Looks like it..

THANKS !

Hey Jerry!
Yeah I got the tank in a few weeks ago. I sent the video link to Raats and they were too impressed that I did the job it generally takes them 2 guys to do in the same amount of time. It's a huge game changer in range for the machine. The stock tank really is silly small, now I would say it's still small but it's adequate for riding as getting 150 miles on a tank is now feasible.
I have gotten some feedback about keeping an eye out for leaks. I have to warn be careful not to bend the crowns for the fill neck and fuel pump... I made that mistake and it causes the seals to leak. I have to replace the crown on my fuel pump now. I will be cutting out the seat support and bolting in a new one so that I can easily access the fuel pump.
All in all I'm pretty impressed with it. Just take your time and don't forget some of the critical things like adding the sump extension and setting the float... It will read empty when it's closer to 1/4 of a tank.
Just shoot me a line if you have an Q's!
Surprised you went that long without a larger tank!!! I have 64K miles on my 2018 T120 Bonneville but am looking to replace it with the VMAX for long distance touring. What do you use for Cruise control? The Bonneville has electric cruise Control as a factory option and really having a hard time coming from the Bonnie and going to the VMAX... Especially on the slab.
Best.

Jedz...
You made a comment.. "warn be careful not to bend the crowns for the fill neck and fuel pump" are you talking about the top flange with the bolt pattern that holds the filler neck and pump?? Guessing it needs to be tightened in a pattern a little at a time??

I was going to do this tank thing a few times but the machine has been so good and reliable I've just been dragging my feet to screw with it other then maintenance stuff. Don't have any Cruise devices.. I ride sport touring and we are 90% secondary roads and twisty stuff. I ride it more like a sport bike. I have had to be very careful in my right wrist usage as you can drive the mileage down pretty quick screwing around, and 4 gal leaves you very little wiggle room when out in the sticks as we all know.

I ran out 1 time.. and the closest was when I tanked up and put in 3.9 gal full to the filler neck.

Hope this heat breaks when the tank shows up..

Hey Jerry!
Yeah I got the tank in a few weeks ago. I sent the video link to Raats and they were too impressed that I did the job it generally takes them 2 guys to do in the same amount of time. It's a huge game changer in range for the machine. The stock tank really is silly small, now I would say it's still small but it's adequate for riding as getting 150 miles on a tank is now feasible.
I have gotten some feedback about keeping an eye out for leaks. I have to warn be careful not to bend the crowns for the fill neck and fuel pump... I made that mistake and it causes the seals to leak. I have to replace the crown on my fuel pump now. I will be cutting out the seat support and bolting in a new one so that I can easily access the fuel pump.
All in all I'm pretty impressed with it. Just take your time and don't forget some of the critical things like adding the sump extension and setting the float... It will read empty when it's closer to 1/4 of a tank.
Just shoot me a line if you have an Q's!
Surprised you went that long without a larger tank!!! I have 64K miles on my 2018 T120 Bonneville but am looking to replace it with the VMAX for long distance touring. What do you use for Cruise control? The Bonneville has electric cruise Control as a factory option and really having a hard time coming from the Bonnie and going to the VMAX... Especially on the slab.
Best.

Jedz. I have been looking really hard at the Cruise Control Options. I had throttle lock on my Gen 1. It was pretty crappy. A real cruise control for highway driving is critical. There is only one for sure option and then I have high hopes for a second.

The first is Tuneboy out of Australia. Here is a thread on the topic.
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/tuneboy.48465/
They say that theirs works now. However there are no separate controls, it is a flash of the ECU. That makes it easy but I really want +/- and On/ Off

The second one is also Australia, MC Cruise .
https://www.mccruise.com/blogs/news/latest-news-on-throttle-by-wire-mccruise
I have written them a couple of times. I had plans to put their servo system on the Gen 1 but have upgraded to the Gen2. They have been dark and not answering any questions since the epidemic started. Theirs is really the one I want. The install will be harder but the slimline controls next to the clutch would be awesome.

Now I have to think about pairing all of this with a larger tank.... If I am going to take everything apart, might as well do it only once.

Hi Jerry! Yes, that would be it, Very very weak metal and if you over torque it bends and looses it's ability to apply pressure to the rubber ring seal. I have it fixed so it won't pour out but it will weep on hot days... I have a new crown coming in! I strongly recommend following the torque specifications. I fell this to be my fault and not the tank makers fault. I fix it to spec and the issue continues I'll be sure to update.

Thanks for the heads up on your riding style, thanks for sharing I guess I have one more question and what do you find the best for long distance tires?

Hope the heat breaks soon as well! Better riding! Sure beats the snow though!!!

Best,

Latest posts

Back