Gen2 Gas Tank Removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started taking apart the bike, but had to stop bc 2 stripped bolts....:eek:

View attachment 74038
Did you get them out?

Try a Torx and some help of Mr.Hammer.
The Thread in the Frame is a M8. While I was playing with some stuff, I damage one of the threads, so I had to Helicoil
By what I did here then, I used a M8 Stainless Steel Bolf from the inside and used Coupling Nuts on the Outside. You can also secure the inside M8 with a flanged Nut from the Outside.

I just think that the Allen button heads look nice. Standard Hex bolts look kind of industrial.. Which personally I like but obviously the Yamaha designers didn't think so.

I ran down to Lowes the last time as I need some fast... But the plan is to just buy a few boxes of different lengths of 6mm. Seems to be the dominate size and swap as I go. I usually get this stuff from McMaster.. But I will check with a friend where he gets his hardware from... Also a good supplier.. and post that.

After half hour, they are out... Thank you Speed Out.......
I am taking pictures on every steps.20201130_132657.jpg20201130_132711.jpg

Last edited:
Spooky right...
Your garage floor looks beautiful.. Guessing the only issue is finding a small dropped part. :) Had a similar floor where I worked.. when you dropped a 4-40 nut or screw, you didn't even look down to bother trying to pick it up...

There is an interesting part that is not clear with the instructions. On how much you need to cut the shield...

20201205_120554.jpg
Here is the additional you need to cut.
20201205_120727.jpg

Very nice garage floor. I am jealous.
The new tank looks great. How many hours in it so far?

Here the section of the Service Manual with the Torque specs.
So far total of of 10 hours in 2 days

I think the worst part is put the tank back in... I will leave that for tomorrow

Latest posts

Back