Gen2 Gas Tank Removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That clip was a PIA.. Honestly I don't recall how we left it.. I know we had a piece of wire and tied it someplace, then couldn't get the tank in. I think it kind of found its home on its own and we left it.. We had the tank in and out so many times trying to get the sub frame back in we kind of lost track of it..

I'm not that far from you if you could use a hand.. Unfortunately, as you know were are going to get our asses handed to us by mother nature the next couple of days..
I am 8 to 10 hours away. It is not close but would like to help. I am going to order a tank and would appreciate the chance to assist before I do it myself. If you guys do this after New Years please let me know.

I am 8 to 10 hours away. It is not close but would like to help. I am going to order a tank and would appreciate the chance to assist before I do it myself. If you guys do this after New Years please let me know.

If everything goes well, hopefully this weekend I can get it done. At this point, I can disassemble the rear and gas tank between 30 min to an 1 hour.

This is what I learn from this project.
There are 2 versions of the tank, 21.5 to 22 liter and the 24.5 liter pending which company you want to go with. The 21.5 to 22 liter, you will have easier time to fit. the 24.5 liter has much tighter fit.

This easy parts are disassemble the rear and preparing the new tank.
This disassemble I put them in the following category:
  • Side panels
  • 2 seats
  • Exhaust
  • Rear Fender/Rear Fender lining
  • Tail light/turn signal
  • Sub Frame
  • Gas tank
Take pictures before you take stuff apart.

Dremel is needed for cutting the plastic.

Wiring is not bad, only 3 things you need to change. The release cable, the extension of rear brake hose to the reservoir and the 2 wires in front of tank need to be relocate.

The pain is marrying the tank to sub frame then to the bike. You need a second pair of hands.
When putting back the gas tank and sub frame, do the top 2 bolts first then press down the end of sub frame to line up the bottom 2 bolts.

Don't rush it and take your time. This is going to be my 4th weekend to do this.

When its your time to do it, I am here if you have questions. So far I have about 50 pictures for this project.

Last edited:
So after 3 weeks of been lazy, the bike is finally done....
After following Schwabenmax's suggestion, I still had fitment issue for the rear lining. In the end, I use Dremel, heat gun, and JP Weld to modify the lining in order to fit the rear fender.
While putting everything back, I did the air box mod and halo light and turn signal.

After following Schwabenmax's suggestion, I still had fitment issue for the rear lining. In the end, I use Dremel, heat gun, and JP Weld to modify the lining in order to fit the rear fender.
While putting everything back, I did the air box mod and halo light and turn signal.

Did you take pics....like a before and after?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the Air Box Mod?

I never got to check mine from dry as we dumped in gas to check the fuel pump and start it after all that messing around. Didn't get to many miles on after the tank was installed but basically at 150 I'm ready for a break and top off.

I am just finishing installing a 21.5 litre tank and I didn't find anything that was overly difficult. I would suggest taking a lot of photos at each step as you remove the old tank as well as a lot of photos of before too. Remove the sponge heat protectors off of the old tank and put on new one. I only removed the rear tire and not the exhaust. It just makes it a little easier and gives you more light. Take lots of photos of the part where the side panels mount. I just had a friend help me put the new tank in and position it but other than that, I did all of it alone. The only thing you hace to be really careful with is cutting the fuel pickup hard plastic so as not to crack it. The extension tube screws into the two ends quite easily once you have a nice square cut.

Always a good idea to write down in order the things you do. Between the videos available and the instructions provided, it is not too complicated. You do end up not re-using the lower inner fender mouldung and the left inside plastic under the RHS side cover.

A mouse got in and ate the mounting foam on the rear fender but I found a used fender and inner fender for $100. Just waiting on that to get here in order to finish buttoning it up.

I also ordered a set of hard luggage and mounts from F. MAERZ. I can't wait to be able to go riding again soon and test out my new VMax Touring bike.

Last edited:
I th
I am just finishing installing a 21.5 litre tank and I didn't find anything that was overly difficult. I would suggest taking a lot of photos at each step as you remove the old tank as well as a lot of photos of before too. Remove the sponge heat protectors off of the old tank and put on new one. I only removed the rear tire and not the exhaust but you have to remove the side panels. It just makes it a little easier and gives you more light. Take lots of photos of the part where the side panels mount. I just had a friend help me put the new tank in but other than that, I did all of it alone.
[/
I think the 21.5 is more install friendly then the 24. 24ltr just seems to require a tighter assembly tolerance then these guys makeing these tanks seem to be able to hold.

You will enjoy the extra range!!

After few riding and fill up, I am doing average of 150 miles per tank. That is with some "fun rides", i think i could push 160 to 170 if i keep it under 80 mph.

My current setup: airbox mod, ecu flash, Dam exhaust.

Latest posts

Back