General Maintenance To Perform

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga_max

Reaction score
As a new owner of a 94 vmax with 17K mile I want to perform some general maintenance since I don't know what the previous owner(s) performed. In general the bike runs great. No issues with transmission (2nd and 3rd gear have no slippage), no front end wobble (but have have not taken her above 80mph). Tires are in good shape and all hoses are not showing any cracks that I can tell. I just changed the coolant and will be changing the oil shortly. From looking at my Clymer's manual it looks like I should be repacking the steering and swing arm bearings and doing a bunch of other things that I'm not quite ready to try myself (In the past I've always had the deal perform maintenance but want to work on doing some of it myself). Since I'm planning to keep Mr.Max for quite some time I want to make sure I her it in good running condition. Any guidance you can provide would be helpful. Thanks again.

Well any questions that you have can be answered by this forum.

Most people will change the oil when neutral gets hard to find, and the book recommends syncing the carbs every 8000 miles....if I remember right.

So....just start at the top of the list for maintenance and work your way down. Basic hand tools are all that you will need.

I am working on my supply of metric tools but just the thought of removing the forks or rear wheel kinda scares a newbie like me. I've read quite a few of the 'How To' posts and there great but the fear of breaking rather than fixing something is still there.

Now that I can understand. One thing that will help is basic mechanics. Instead of using an open end wrench, use a box end...or even a 6 point socket. PB blaster works really well at loosening up fasteners, so spray it on, and walk away. Start the job tomorrow...things like that make a difference.

And sometimes.....a rubber mallet really IS your friend.

Purchasing JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) phillips screwdrivers from Ebay or Amazon should be on your tool list. American screwdrivers appear to fit but do not.

If it was mine, I would not rid it another mile without installing a Morley's Muscle Heavy Duty Oiling Kit. and you might as well replace the clutch pack since you will be in there that far.

Additionally use Rotella T non synthetic oil. I destroyed my clutch with Synthetic. and I don't ride it hard.

I have Rotella T in the garage ready to go (thanks to the forum). Can you point me to info about the HD oiling kit. I have some small JIS screwdrivers that I used for an RC heli I had at one time. Guess I should get a standard size set also.

I am working on my supply of metric tools but just the thought of removing the forks or rear wheel kinda scares a newbie like me. I've read quite a few of the 'How To' posts and there great but the fear of breaking rather than fixing something is still there.

It's only frightening because you haven't done it before. Remember, these bikes were mass produced and were designed to go together easily and therefore also come apart likewise.
The proviso here is that you use the correct tool for the job and as alluded to in an earlier post the use of a correctly fitting ring or socket for nuts and bolts and well fitting screwdrivers for the cross head screws. These are notoriously soft espessially if butchered by a PO. An impact driver is a useful addition to the toolkit.

You already have a good manual and the Yameringha Service Manual is available on line.

As the bike is new to you then I would be inclined to assume that it have never had a service and do everything; change all fluids and filters, plugs, synchronise carbs and all of the other items on the list.
Your confidence will grow as you work your way around the bike and provided you follow the instructions in you manual nothing should prove to be too taxing.
Anything you are not sure about then just ask - if really stuck there may be a fellow Maxer nearby able to help.

ga max

I sounds like you are where I was at a bit over a year ago. I had many, many bikes in the past but only really ever changed oil and plugs myself. Since I purchased this latest max and found this sight I have done everything myself and can't believe that I havent't ever attempted it in the past, it's not that hard. I have Heli's as well and probably like you, have learned to take a LOT ot pictures . I take pictures and keep them on file of every thing that I'm going to work on before starting from every angle and also a high def careful video to capture any angle that I may not get with a still. Than of course more pics of every step and item as they come off and apart, don't rely on the service manual for photos. I also found a local shop that agreed if if to help me if I started something and couldn't finish it. This gave me a bit more confidence to get started, luckily I've never needed them. I have found that the carbs are most important to get comfortable with. I bought a carb synch tool and have rebuilt them as well recently. They are intimidating but if you learn one, then you can do 4.
Also wheel and steering bearings, water pump, regulator/Rectifier, Cooling system. None of these things were as difficult as you might think. Especially removing the whole front end for front springs and bearings, which scared me to death at first but the fella's on this sight and all of the instant help you can get, It's very satisfying to do it yourself, never mind the hundreds or thousands of dollars you might save over time.

Check out Sean morleys videos on youtube for a couple of things and they will give you some tips as well.

Matt

Latest posts

Back