• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Generation one driver’s backrest

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jalen

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m looking for a drivers backrest for my 05 Vmax. If you have any info to get one, please message me.

jalen

Pretty-sure that at some time, you could get a Corbin plug-in backrest which would fit either the middle of the seat (for the operator) or the rear of the seat (for the passenger).

Speaking of backrests, here's an interesting combo I haven't seen before, I got this off another member (thanks!) and my intention is to remove the luggage rack, and to install the OEM tall top backrest (sissybar), of-which I have a spare. Note the backrest bracket is made where the brackets are welded to a plate and short legs which slot-into where the OEM sissybar attaches to the two side grab-bars. This is not an OEM piece, as-far as I know (28 years of VMax ownership, and counting), referring to the luggage rack and square female socket/mounting bracket (the luggage rack appears to be OEM). This installation appears to be like the Corbin removable backrest for the Corbin seat, in that it uses a square steel tube bracket for the male solid square rod on-which the backrest is affixed.

The pic with the backrest is an actual Corbin backrest, and the fit is a bit-sloppy, and the angle for the pad is wrong, I didn't measure the square socket i.d. but I'm pretty-sure that isn't any Corbin backrest accessory. I have several Corbin seats, and the fit male/female is more-snug than this. I have both types of Corbin backrest, one trapezoid-shaped like this and another that looks like a life=preserver, ovoid-shaped, with a big hole in the middle.

Perhaps someone may have a similar system on their bike, or knows the particulars. My backrest pictured has 'CORBIN' stamped into the male piece, but I see no model # or any i.d. name on this bracket, it's possible that some fabricator used what appears to-be an OEM Yamaha backrest and bracket, and welded-up a custom installation for a removable passenger backrest. I didn't receive the passenger backrest pad when I bought it. It the seller has it still, please shed some light on this interesting accessory. Not that it matters, but I believe this was on a 1985 model.

VMax luggage rack-backrest bracket no sissybar.03.jpgVMax luggage rack-backrest bracket no sissybar.01.jpgVMax luggage rack-backrest bracket no sissybar.02.jpg

Last edited:
Caber made a drivers backrest years ago. I haven't gotten around to replicate it yet though.

Speaking of backrests, here's an interesting combo I haven't seen before, I got this off another member (thanks!) and my intention is to remove the luggage rack, and to install the OEM tall top backrest (sissybar), of-which I have a spare. Note the backrest bracket is made where the brackets are welded to a plate and short legs which slot-into where the OEM sissybar attaches to the two side grab-bars. This is not an OEM piece, as-far as I know (28 years of VMax ownership, and counting), referring to the luggage rack and square female socket/mounting bracket (the luggage rack appears to be OEM). This installation appears to be like the Corbin removable backrest for the Corbin seat, in that it uses a square steel tube bracket for the male solid square rod on-which the backrest is affixed.

The pic with the backrest is an actual Corbin backrest, and the fit is a bit-sloppy, and the angle for the pad is wrong, I didn't measure the square socket i.d. but I'm pretty-sure that isn't any Corbin backrest accessory. I have several Corbin seats, and the fit male/female is more-snug than this. I have both types of Corbin backrest, one trapezoid-shaped like this and another that looks like a life=preserver, ovoid-shaped, with a big hole in the middle.

Perhaps someone may have a similar system on their bike, or knows the particulars. My backrest pictured has 'CORBIN' stamped into the male piece, but I see no model # or any i.d. name on this bracket, it's possible that some fabricator used what appears to-be an OEM Yamaha backrest and bracket, and welded-up a custom installation for a removable passenger backrest. I didn't receive the passenger backrest pad when I bought it. It the seller has it still, please shed some light on this interesting accessory. Not that it matters, but I believe this was on a 1985 model.

View attachment 77165View attachment 77166View attachment 77167
This is what my luggage rack on my 05 looks like. I believe it is all OEM. Extra light I added a few years ago just to be seen.

Attachments

• 05 luggage rack.JPG
    05 luggage rack.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 16
Back