Getting a ZX 14

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMike

Reaction score
Buying a '06 in Atlanta with a little over 14,000 miles. Flying into Atlanta on Aug.5th with a large tank bag(29L) with a few odds and ends,my riding gear and helmet and riding it back to San Diego. Giving myself 5 days to complete the trip and hooking up with buddy in Dallas,Tex.who is riding back to San Diego with me on his ZX-12R. Here's a few pics of the bike.

Mike

Attachments

• New Image.JPG
    New Image.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Front of ZX14.JPG
    Front of ZX14.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 36
  • rear ZX14.JPG
    rear ZX14.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 35
  • side of ZX14.JPG
    side of ZX14.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 34
They're a great bike, you'll have a lot of fun with it. Their smoothness belies the immense power that's on tap. You can do 100mph and feel like it's a leisurely cruise....speed is so totally effortless and undramatic.

Riding it back is the real way to git-r-dun. Most people wuss out and drive a trailer out, or hire a shipper. I've never bought a bike far enough away to merit but it seems like a fantastic opportunity to see the country, and no better way to do that than from the seat of a fast bike.

Good luck/ try to keep it on one wheel, yes?

Thanks guys! It's been on my "bucket list" to ride a bike cross country and my dream is finally coming true. Turning 58 in a couple of weeks so I'm gonna see if I still got it.lol!

Rollie,I'm arriving in Atlanta at 9:10 am Sunday Aug.5th,have transportation waiting to take me Thornton Rd.and I-20 where I'm meeting the guy with the bike. We're doing the deal,he's going over the bike with me and I'm taking off hopefully by noon on I-20 West bound for Jackson,Ms. I'm going to try and make around 400 mi/day. I see you're in Conyers which isn't far from where I'll be and I wished I had more time to come and meet you. Kind of a "high speed" trip for me since I have to be back to work on Friday.

Mike

Thanks guys! It's been on my "bucket list" to ride a bike cross country and my dream is finally coming true. Turning 58 in a couple of weeks so I'm gonna see if I still got it.lol!

Rollie,I'm arriving in Atlanta at 9:10 am Sunday Aug.5th,have transportation waiting to take me Thornton Rd.and I-20 where I'm meeting the guy with the bike. We're doing the deal,he's going over the bike with me and I'm taking off hopefully by noon on I-20 West bound for Jackson,Ms. I'm going to try and make around 400 mi/day. I see you're in Conyers which isn't far from where I'll be and I wished I had more time to come and meet you. Kind of a "high speed" trip for me since I have to be back to work on Friday.

Mike

Excellent. I used to do Dallas in about 13 hours from my house , straight through with a Datsun 280 ZX , averaging about 65 with stops for gas , food , & p . I will try to be close on Sunday but have commitments around noon at home . I know the location , gas stations abound at that exit , and there is a bike shop about 2 miles north on Thornton Rd. Where are you meeting ?

Rollie--- We're meeting at the Carmax. It's at 1977 Thornton Rd, Lithia Springs Georgia,30122

What a journey!... Especially with company... Enjoy and be conservative and safe...

Rollie--- We're meeting at the Carmax. It's at 1977 Thornton Rd, Lithia Springs Georgia,30122

I will try to meet with you that morning. Can't stay long but wanted to welcome you to the neighborhood , it's a Southern Thing ya know. :punk:

Nice bike!

Crap I must be getting old, I was thinking it was just a year or so ago they came out with those..

Man thanks for all the well wishes everyone! It's going to be an adventure for me.

Rusty- --Yeah speeding tickets are going to be a concern especially on those long open stretches of interstate. lol!

Ryan --- Between your test ride review and my friends ZX12R that he bought new in 2003 and now has 149,000 on I'm sold. He says it's pretty easy to lay down 400 miles a day and those engines are just purring along at 80 in 6th gear.

Choctaw--You're probably right.The guy just put new tires on it but after 2100+mi they will definately be close.

Thanks Fred and Rusty!

Rollie--- You are a true southerner and V Max brother! Hope to meet you even for a short time. I should be there around 10:00 am hopefully.

Mike

That's awesome. Grats on te new bike and the ride should be quite the adventure. I've always wanted to take a long bike trip with my bro, but it just has never been in the cards...and definitely not on my 929, lol, maybe on the Vmax.

Be safe (and fast)!

Thanks Mild! The heat and humidity will be a factor for me since I'm not used to it so I'll have to stay hydrated.Lots of beer!:rofl_200:No,just kidding strictly water during the day.
Mike

Latest posts

Back