Ghetto t-boost?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImCannibal

Reaction score
I found this tied into the left coil under the seat and the v-boost controller, Sean said over the phone that it may be a homemade t-boost mod. It looks homemade alright, I pulled the heat shrink off and... Wow is all I have to say, I'm glad I took it off because it looks like some extra driveway "science" went into this one.:th_people194:

Attachments

• tmp_FB_IMG_13978738593556239986599226.jpg
    tmp_FB_IMG_13978738593556239986599226.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 93
You guys don't have soldering irons? I never use crimp barrel connectors... Sometimes I'll use bullet connectors but I still solder them in

You guys don't have soldering irons? I never use crimp barrel connectors... Sometimes I'll use bullet connectors but I still solder them in

Crimp connectors I try to stay away from if at all possible... I use solder and heat shrink

G

Crimp connectors I try to stay away from if at all possible... I use solder and heat shrink

G

Properly done compression "crimp" connectors are fine.
That means a good connector like Panduit, 3M or T&B

And the proper tool which is a ratcheting crimper approved by the connector maker

You'll rarely find either in a hardware store, and those insulated butt splices with the hard plastic are terrible. Much better to use non insulated terminal lugs etc and then heat shrink. The plastic insulation sleeve just leads to installation mistakes.

Chemical plants, oil refineries, conventional and nuclear power plants, even the space station all use compression connectors.

In those same environments any type of multi-use male female spade or bullet connector are usually totally banned.

I use un-insulated barrel connectors in conjunction with the soldering iron. I crimp them on then fill the splice with solder. Cover with heat shrink.

My personal opinion is that a properly done crimp is a good connection. Lots of guys say the factory connections suck. I find the actual crimp connection of the wire to the terminal is typically good. The crimp connectors typically fail where they make contact with the corresponding male or female connector, not where the wire attaches to the terminal. Just my experience.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

I use un-insulated barrel connectors in conjunction with the soldering iron. I crimp them on then fill the splice with solder. Cover with heat shrink.

My personal opinion is that a properly done crimp is a good connection. Lots of guys say the factory connections suck. I find the actual crimp connection of the wire to the terminal is typically good. The crimp connectors typically fail where they make contact with the corresponding male or female connector, not where the wire attaches to the terminal. Just my experience.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed. I did the same exact thing when I "hard wired" between my stator and r/r, crimped butt splice, soldered and heat shrink.

Latest posts

Back