Glowshift Tach/Shift Light Install (pics)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikedave99

Reaction score
Ok, so after looking all over I found this Glowshift Digital Tach/Shift light combo unit that was small and I really liked it:
tacho_black&red_large.jpg

It was like $54 shipped, had the mount curved to fit the speedo bucket, and i think looked sharp. After searching around on the forum, it looked like Rawarrior also found this tach but ended up going a different route. So, here it is mocked up on my speedo bucket:

540e1f71.jpg

And the view from the drivers seat:

36be3a3c.jpg

I like it! Of course I would clock it so that it the display is shown correctly. I would have to drill and tap new screw holes but that is not a big deal. The other benefit of this tach is that I can open it up really easily and waterproof the board and weatherproof the enclosure.

So, the first problem is I hook it up to the stock tach wire it reads exactly half of what my big autometer is showing. I almost expected this... since the tach only has options for 4-6-8 cylinder use. But armed with a bunch of info from this site, Vmaxoutlaw and http://www.gadgetjq.com/tach_install.htm I figured this obstacle was surmountable. So, I soldered up the simple diode/resistor circuit to take the spark off of two coils instead of one to give the tach the signal it needs (this pic courtesy of gadgetjq, but mine was identical):

single_fire_parts3.jpg

I get it jumpered up to both rear coils (my bike is a 92) on the bike, fire it up and the tach reads 0. I pull off the connection to one coil and it goes back to reading half. So, I take the resistors out of the circuit, because some people just say you only need the diode, the resistor would probably only smooth out the tach operation. Still doesn't work...

So, I talk with Glowshift and of course they say that in a multi-coil operation, I need a tach adapter as it says in their product data. Well, I assumed what I built was an adapter...? They say I need an Autometer 9117 adapter like this:
9117.jpg

Well, that thing cost like $70, and if I wanted to spend $130 on my tach I would have just bought the autometer tach/shift light like the Glowshift one. But I like the Glowshift better because it is smaller. So my question is, what is different between the autometer adapter and the one I built, or one of these:
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ5...pc&utm_term=&gclid=COOQnZmkxrACFQdeTAodSVcdXA
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/prod...adapter-t101?gclid=COexk5ekxrACFYpgTAodMSrnVg

I may just have to send it back, but I was really hoping this would work. Anyone have any ideas?

So, a bunch of folks over on the Kawi forums say they had the same problem, but got over it by turning the diodes around to face the other way in the above circuit. Now to my mind, that is tantamount to just plain taking out the diode altogether since there is no current coming back from the tach. Any thoughts from the electrical gurus before I just try it?

Man, ya'll are a hard crowd! Well after PMing a little with Dingy for advice, I went ahead and tried switching the diodes and all is well! I'll post up some pics when I get it wired in and set up.

Back