Godzillas new paint.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red-line wheels look ok. Looks good for 130K+ miles and 36 years.

The Venture engine cover could be filled and machined to say, "VBoost" instead of the acronym.

Last edited:
The red line in my humble opinion is way too thick
Bill, your lines honor two great machines or items storied in American gearhead/motorcyclist folklore:

The Uniroyal Tiger Paw redline tire

The Harley-Davidson Low Rider Sturgis

Harley Davidson FXDB Sturgis 1981.jpg
Uniroyal Tiger Paw redline tires.png

Last edited:
My buddy had a Seca. The engine was built to the hilt. We retained all the YICS covers. While attempting to get the bike running right, we gave the YICS a new acronym....Yes Its Carbs Suck. Cause for that bike, the way it was built, we had those carbs off and on so many times it became the bane of our existence. However....the YICS system....I like, when its working well.

With the look on your bike....I think its very fitting, clean, and a touch of different without being so totally different. Period different if I were to give it a name. Like my Virago having the Seca anti-dive forks with 18" Seca rear wheel. Looks like its supposed to be there....but not, but correct looking.

Back in the early 2000's, when ya cld buy a running/functioning Motorcycle for 400 bucks.I had a 82 XJ750 Shafty, chrome fendered "Japanese cruiser" with the YICS on the side cover. Never knew what it actually meant, but a guy I worked with used to always say it as YIKES!!
I thought that was hilarious. As did he. Maybe ya just had to Know John... 🤔

He (john) also used to commonly work in "Booth B" here in the shop. (before they had numbers- they had letters on certain booths.) He had mentioned going to sign in at the Dr's office, and saw the woman that signed in just before him was named "Mary Boothby"- which reminded John of his "Booth B", that he worked in.

T$

Last edited:
It was a Seca 900. By time we were done with it, it was 978cc I believe. Stroked, bored, dome top pistons, the most aggressive cams(back then) we could find. I want to say that the carbs were 32mm stock(memory isnt that good). Went to 35mm to match the port and polish we did on it. Was a set of Mikunis that we adapted for the bike.

There were 2 sets of jets that "worked". One set would allow the bike to start and idle extremely easy but the bike had no top end. Just would lull out. The other set, the bike would not start unless it was over 65F. Warmer it was, better the start. But that set would pull you out of the seat if you werent careful. So we had that set in there. The cranky start jets is what we called them. But it was the only ones that at least once the bike was warmed up and running, would get that bike moving down the road.

Gave the motor a good clean and repaint, then the bottom of the scoops and side cover. Note the Venture trim disk on the clutch cover. Opinions needed about the red trim on the wheels.View attachment 78776

Kinda have to see it in the dry sunny conditions to tell for sure bout the painting. I'll tell ya one thing, I cant see anything wrong with it in the picture..

;) 👍

...The red line in my humble opinion is way too thick. …..

Parminio may be right, now that Im looking at it again.. The red lines could be just a lil too thick , imo. 🤔

Could be worse though….

Bill, your lines honor two great machines or items storied in American gearhead/motorcyclist folklore:

The Harley-Davidson Low Rider Sturgis

View attachment 78785

🍻
T$

The year before the Sturgis Shovelhead, a 1980 Low Rider, and a Softail in vicinity of Daytona Beach.
H-D LowRider 1980 H-D FLSTN 1996.jpg
No redline wheel.

Parminio may be right, now that Im looking at it again.. The red lines could be just a lil too thick , imo. 🤔

Could be worse though….
A thought just occurred to me: If somebody really, really good with a pinstripe brush could put a black stripe right in the middle of that red stripe to make it two thin red stripes, that might look really hot.

Run it to 15 mph up on a jack, rear wheel off the ground, and get a nice thin brush... Then get the front wheel off the ground and spin it up by hand. I might try it..

The main paint on the fenders and top cover is a dark black cherry..

I've never attempted something like this but I'd be wary about spinning the wheel too fast as the paint my be flung out due to centrifugal force

A more controlled way would be to have someone spin a cylinder in a cordless dill against tyre (see caravan mover) or even turn the wheel slowly by hand.

Pinstripe is a skill and needs a steady hand (you'd normally have a rest) so instead of a paint brush, maybe a paint pen or fix a panel that acts as a a mask with a tiny hole iright next to the rim and use a spray can but beware of runs.

The main paint on the fenders and top cover is a dark black cherry..
I thought so!

Being wet it is hard to tell, but it looked like the old Black Cherry Metallic that Cadillac used to use back in the day. I had a 1985 Honda Nighthawk painted the same color.

Call Von Dutch...Ken Howard. He was a gunsmith too.

Von Dutch.jpg

An early model Lotus Mk IV, featuring paint by Von Dutch.

Harry-Hanford-1954-Lotus paint Von Dutch.jpg

Last edited:
Back