Going 1300, opinions?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregory Reed

Reaction score
I scored an 86 Venture motor to put into my perfectly happy Vmax. Should I buy heads and cam on eBay and sell off the Vmax motor or pull the parts off the Vmax? Is there any other parts that need to be swapped out that I am missing?

The heads complete with cams, carbs, vBoost parts if you want that. Many run Stage 7 upgrade with it still intact and it works correctly. The Venture bottom end is supposedly beefier than the Max. Do you have access to the rear differential from the Venture? Or vice versa, you may want to run a Vmax differential with the Venture tranny for more pep.

I would try getting complete heads and a vboost system from fleaBay or members here, so you can keep your Vmax motor intact in case you need to swap back because the 1300 doesn't work, breaks or you don't like it..

Of course it's cheaper to scavenge your existing motor, but there's still costs with gaskets and the like, and you're fixing something that ain't broke!

I got the motor for $400. Heads seem to be going for less than $200 for a pair with cams. If I can sell the Vmax motor and possible come out ahead or even. I'm thinking of investing in Sean's jet kit and pocketing the rest of the cash.

The 4,000 mile complete 2007 motor I got from CaptainKyle sounds better and better every day!

You need to swap over or acquire:
PVC Chamber
Shift Shaft
Swap Bushing from stator cover to mid gear cover (for the shift shaft)
Stator and Clutch Inserts (purely for visual effect)
Valve Covers (again for visual)
Heads/Cams
Oil Level Sending Unit
Adapter from the Clutch Slave (the venture has a short hose that hard connects and routes under the engine)
Bracket for the Vmax clutch slave adapter/line fitting
IF the 1200 venture (which you don't want) then there are some other items to move over.
Might be a few things I am overlooking right now. I'd get another set and save or sell the other engine complete. I may even give a trade in towards some of the parts if you want to go that route (but I won't give as much as someone else might).

Back