Going to pick up 06" in the morning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throttle

Reaction score
Hey everyone again,

So after getting sniped on the last one this one came up - 06 with 9,000 miles. Going to pick up in the morning. Anything particular on 2006 bikes to look for, I am guessing make sure 2nd gear doesn't pop out like was mentioned before. Anything else?

Thanks,

John

Hey everyone again,

So after getting sniped on the last one this one came up - 06 with 9,000 miles. Going to pick up in the morning. Anything particular on 2006 bikes to look for, I am guessing make sure 2nd gear doesn't pop out like was mentioned before. Anything else?

Thanks,

John

Only the usual that's already been talked about in the previous thread - there's nothing specially bad about the '06 - it's simply the last Gen I Max Yamaha made.

Good tires, good brakes, clean inside tank, no dings, no scratches that show it's been laid down, no rips in seats, and hopefully no corrosion that shows it's lived outdoors rather than garaged. Anything like that - money down.

Also always offer cash a little lower, you'd be surprised what people will take when a wad's under their nose!

Every Vmax that I've owned the water pump has leaked, even the low mile ones.

My 06 with less than 4000 miles has started to leak.

New pumps are about $220.

Picked it up and rode it couple hours home today. Little different than the CBR's, but I'm liking it!

I know everyone knows what a basically stock 06 Vmax looks like, but I am throwing a picture up anyway as a proud new owner.

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 76
good lookin '06. but i'm trying to figure out what's on the front fender 'tween the fork tubes? or is it just the light is playing tricks on me?

Nice looking mostly stock 06 (grips, mirrors, bars and ends). Looks like Cali emissions too though that doesn't hurt anything at all).

Sean

Picked it up and rode it couple hours home today. Little different than the CBR's, but I'm liking it!

I know everyone knows what a basically stock 06 Vmax looks like, but I am throwing a picture up anyway as a proud new owner.

Looks great! Let the fun begin! :biglaugh::punk:

G Man

Not too important but 2007 is actually the last model year of the first gen! :Wink2:

G Man

I thought most reckoned that the '07 were simply leftover '06 stock? I don't think there's a single difference between them, even cosmetic? Correct me if I'm wrong.. :confused2:

Nice looking mostly stock 06 (grips, mirrors, bars and ends). Looks like Cali emissions too though that doesn't hurt anything at all).

Sean

what's emissions set up? Never seen em' before :rofl_200::rofl_200::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

G

What it says on the title.

I thought most reckoned that the '07 were simply leftover '06 stock? I don't think there's a single difference between them, even cosmetic? Correct me if I'm wrong.. :confused2:

Nice Bike, probably not the same handling your used too, but a whole lot more "FUN" and aint that what lifes all about.

It will feel like a water buffalo the first time you try to hustle it through a series of corners. Nice looking Vmax, enjoy and stay safe!

It will feel like a water buffalo the first time you try to hustle it through a series of corners. Nice looking Vmax, enjoy and stay safe!

Early '80's suspension tech, and not 'high end' then! That's why so-many of us choose to try and mod the front & rear suspension bits & pieces. The UK guy that does the contemporary sportbike measurements in his chassis which accepts the VMax sounds like the ticket if you like the engine, but by the time you get done building one of those, you might as well buy a Gen II, which I am sure handles a whole lot better than the Gen I to say nothing about having 50%+ more rear-wheel h.p. Too bad you don't have anyone doing the Rickman thing (below) at a reasonable price.

I have one of these awaiting my attention after I get done w/my current VMax project. I've had it for years. It needs a total refurbishment. The Rickman brothers' stuff is still avail. They made kits for the SOHC Honda 750 and the 900 Z-1 Kawi. Of course, there were their dirtbike kits too, for British twins, and their 125 Rickman-Zundapps in blue, and the Rickman-Montesas (red).

Attachments

• SM-RIH_5-16-09_041 Rickman Honda .01.jpg
    SM-RIH_5-16-09_041 Rickman Honda .01.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 9
ive never seen a vmax with emissions, is that dark cylinder by the frame behind the motor a charcoal canister?

my 07 certainly doesnt have this...

peace,
evan...

ive never seen a vmax with emissions, is that dark cylinder by the frame behind the motor a charcoal canister?

my 07 certainly doesnt have this...

All models sold in California had the extra emissions bits, as you may know CA is 'greener'! There were actually two models sold in the US throughout the Gen I history - one for California and one for all the other states!

Being from Oklahoma (and returning the end of the month) I don't take kindly to California strict gun or green laws. So does this special (emissions) translate to anything on the bike in terms of power? Cause if so, it is coming off.

Nice Bike, probably not the same handling your used too, but a whole lot more "FUN" and aint that what lifes all about.

Definitely not the same handling, but then again I did not expect it to. Probably will be looking to get a bit better handling characteristics in the near future, and I see there are a bunch of resources here to tell me how to accomplish that!

Latest posts

Back