Going to Prog springs, what oil?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What fluid with >92 forks and Prog springs?

• 10W Fork Oil

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • 15W Fork Oil

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • ATF fluid

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • WTF!?!

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

naughtyG

Reaction score
OK so tomorrow I am trashing those soft OEM springs in favor of Progreassive ones, thanks to Kevman.

In the past (with spindly forks on '86 + prog ) I used 15W fork oil, and felt an improvement.

I also seem to remember someone (was it Sean?) saying you could use ATF as fork fluid, but not sure.

So, here's the poll: with the bigger forks ('00) and Prog Springs, should I stay with 10W, go to 15W, or use ATF?

cheers! :worthy:

Full synthetic ATF or full synthetic Power Steering. We use BG products stuff but about any of the noted fluid will work. The viscosity will be about 15w but hold that weight much more evenly through temperature changes the forks have. Plus it's easier on the metals and seals.

Sean

I used Racetech's recommended 10 w fork oil when I went with their springs & emulators in my '90 , prior to the current USD R-1 front end. They worked very well with the 17" Lightcons & Michelin Pilot Power Radials & a fork brace. :punk:

I run 15 wt Silkolene with my set up on progressive springs, lowered 2" and Ricor Intiminators.
I have a leaky r fork seal so I'm going to remove one of the lowering springs to gain back 1" ground clearance. I going to try 10 wt oil and add Jedi's adjustable spring rate fork cap so I can tailor my ride a bit more. BTW I am still using my original '92 forks which are the 39mm diameter forks.

The progressive front spring lowering kit (2 inches) recommends "no oil" in the paperwork included with the kit....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The progressive front spring lowering kit (2 inches) recommends "no oil" in the paperwork included with the kit....

Wow, is that not a typo? To run no oil in the forks dosen't make good sense. Has anyone confirmed that this is the position of Progressive?

I use 10 wt Maxima Racing Fork Fluid with my Stock Length Progressive Springs and I'm very happy with it.

Wow, is that not a typo? To run no oil in the forks dosen't make good sense. Has anyone confirmed that this is the position of Progressive?

Dam! I feel stupid I meant no air pressure is required yes you definitely need oil but no air pressure is what progressive recommends :banghead:

Sean recommend I use synthetic power steering or synthetic ATF fluid. I put the synth ATF and no air. I like it

Latest posts

Back