Gold Dot Brakes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfd1350

Reaction score
Last summer I bought an 85 Vmax with a Yamaha R1 front end already mounted. I am very disappointed with the braking performance, the gold dot calipers. I am not sure if the brakes are generally not great performing brakes, or if mine are the exception. I would like to have excellent brakes so wondering what my first step should be. Thanks, Tony

HH pads. gold calipers should be good. Is this inverted front end?? you could always get nissin or FJR master. Did you make sure brakes are blead properly?

Must be your set up because everyone else that has that set up sings its praises. Do you have braided brake lines? Matching master cylinder, someone already mentioned a good bleeding with fresh fluid and top quality pads.

Ya should stop on a dime, maybe just need a good going over and cleaning....

Assuming that all of the pistons are free, no air in the system and the hoses are in good condition are you using the original 5/8" master cylinder?

When I first fitted some blue spots the lever felt very wooden and I was completely underwhelmed by the brake performance.

Changing to 13mm M/C made all of the difference.

Thanks for all the input. I already have braided lines so from the input I am guessing there is a problem with my system. I have bled the system twice with no noticeable improvement. Not sure if the correct master is being used because it was installed before I bought the bike. I will try to figure where the problem lies, but not sure where to begin.

Hello Tony, maybe a couple pictures of the masters and the brakes and the pads if possible. The masters will have a great effect to the feel and how much leverage/ pressure it can put on the caliper pads.
What I would do first is find out what your pads are. We can help if you can take some clear pictures of the system.

If you have the small rotors still you are missing a lot of "leverage" in the brakes that the later vmax's have (93-07). You may want to consider looking into our Hayabusa conversion and selling off your gold dots and whatever adapters they have (they are not a bolt on for your year).

If you have the small rotors still you are missing a lot of "leverage" in the brakes that the later vmax's have (93-07). You may want to consider looking into our Hayabusa conversion and selling off your gold dots and whatever adapters they have (they are not a bolt on for your year).

I take r1 front end as USD forks I'd hope he still isn't running small solid rotors.... all that money you would think rotors wouldve been upgraded. Yes post some pictures of your set up

Update. I was looking at photos of my bike and noticed something different than most setups on brake master cylinders. There are two brake hoses coming off the banjo attached to the master, as opposed to the more common one line to a splitter block. Not sure if this is a problem or not but figured I would mention it. Also, when braking with my system it always felt like there was not enough pressure getting to the calipers, no matter how hard I pulled the lever. Thanks, Tony

The two line vs three line system should not be an issue. Some find the two line easier to bleed as well.

Darn, I was hoping that was the culprit of my problems. May just have to wait till I get home to post photos of my setup, and get a solution to my issues.

So I ordered Ebc hh brake pads today, but the more I think of it the more I think my problem is from my master cylinder. My riding season is so short I would rather spend money before having a chance to confirm my brake problem. So on this note, I am thinking of buying a replacement master cylinder. Is the ABS FJR master cylinder the one I should order? I appreciate all the help. Thanks, Tony

I have a pair of FJR masters with levers (and lines for that matter) we'd sell. This is the brake and clutch setup. It won't be super cheap and they are approx 4 years old.

Sean, can you PM your price? I was really only interested in a brake master cylinder but will consider both.

Yea, At this point they will be sold as a pair. These do have the mirror mount which was not drilled on later model FJR masters. PM coming. Email will be easier after that though.

Latest posts

Back