Gonna Inject It ;)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bud, your videos were my nightly sound track for weeks. I moved to AK and was looking for a bike when I saw a vmax listed. I always wanted a max, but I swear your videos along with some others pushed me over the edge. Thanks for posting them.

Barney sounds good. What part of Ky are you in. I'm in Louisville. Love to see Barney up close.

Welcome back.

What type of FI are you putting in? Wild Bros, or something custom?
Interested to see how it works out for you. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Is that "Walbro's" injection? I know they make a lot of components. new stand-alone computer for F.I. & ignition? I will be interested to see the progress.

At least from what I've heard on this forum, EFI for the gen1 tends to be difficult to tune and with marginal, if any, benefits over a well tuned carb setup. IIRC twistedmax used to have EFI on his bike and later went back to carbs. What is your motivation for going EFI?

I've done a fair bit with EFI tuning(and even controller construction),not on Vmax, but on modern snowmobiles with EFI and it's not as simple as it might seem. For as simple a device as a carburetor appears to be, it's surprisingly complex to emulate with a computer. OEMs (we've communicated with Bombardier engineers) spend hundreds to thousands of hours tuning in EFI settings to get that "flawless" fueling people expect when they buy a new (car, bike, snowmobile). After loads of dyno time, there's even more "real world" use, which always seems to pull a few more flaws out of the woodwork. Correct one, it causes another, it can be maddening.

We programmed a closed-loop feedback system on a custom ECU(piggybacking the stock ECU) to allow the engine to automatically tune itself for varying ethanol contents in fuel. i.e it's now a "flex fuel" vehicle. Theoretical calculations made up some base test maps, but despite being "ideal" values, the motor just didn't run as good as it used to. Flat spots here and there, a laggy throttle response in places, too touchy in others. Took a lot of hours on the dyno making minute adjustments to get it to run "seamlessly" on any fuel dumped in the tank. Essentially to make it run as good as stock. And it still doesn't(well it does if we just enter a "zero field" in the piggyback, which puts it back to stock), but it's good enough that someone unfamiliar with the engine wouldn't notice.

Good luck with it.

At least from what I've heard on this forum, EFI for the gen1 tends to be difficult to tune and with marginal, if any, benefits over a well tuned carb setup. IIRC twistedmax used to have EFI on his bike and later went back to carbs. What is your motivation for going EFI?

I've done a fair bit with EFI tuning(and even controller construction),not on Vmax, but on modern snowmobiles with EFI and it's not as simple as it might seem. For as simple a device as a carburetor appears to be, it's surprisingly complex to emulate with a computer. OEMs (we've communicated with Bombardier engineers) spend hundreds to thousands of hours tuning in EFI settings to get that "flawless" fueling people expect when they buy a new (car, bike, snowmobile). After loads of dyno time, there's even more "real world" use, which always seems to pull a few more flaws out of the woodwork. Correct one, it causes another, it can be maddening.

We programmed a closed-loop feedback system on a custom ECU(piggybacking the stock ECU) to allow the engine to automatically tune itself for varying ethanol contents in fuel. i.e it's now a "flex fuel" vehicle. Theoretical calculations made up some base test maps, but despite being "ideal" values, the motor just didn't run as good as it used to. Flat spots here and there, a laggy throttle response in places, too touchy in others. Took a lot of hours on the dyno making minute adjustments to get it to run "seamlessly" on any fuel dumped in the tank. Essentially to make it run as good as stock. And it still doesn't(well it does if we just enter a "zero field" in the piggyback, which puts it back to stock), but it's good enough that someone unfamiliar with the engine wouldn't notice.

Good luck with it.

RaWarrior

I appreciate the indepth input. I'm the type that just likes to do things to be able to say that I've done them.

I have a really good set of stage 7'd carbs on the bike that run just fine. I have a couple of extra sets of carbs and decided to try the roadstercycle cv/efi project. I'm intrigued by the batch injection idea and just want to say I did it with an extra microsquirt I took off our turbo Maxima . After talking to Jack, it seems like a fun project to undertake.

I'm not looking for a performance upgrade, more of a ride all summer long without breaking out the Morgan carb tuner 10 times "because" I'm a stickler type of thing. I'm so familiar with taking carbs on and off of a gen 1 that I can do it in about 7 minutes, so, it's really not a big thing to switch back and forth for me. Besides, if I'm not tinkering with something on Max, pinball machines, bowling balls, or my hotrods, I feel like I'm not doing what I was put here on earth for :biglaugh:

The regional PBA events that I "work" are coming to the end of the season and I'll need another outlet for my extra energy in a few weeks.

Peace
Neil

http://roadstercycle.com/yamaha_vmax_fuel_injector_cv_car.htm

Bud, your videos were my nightly sound track for weeks. I moved to AK and was looking for a bike when I saw a vmax listed. I always wanted a max, but I swear your videos along with some others pushed me over the edge. Thanks for posting them.

Thanks for the kind words Blurr! I can already tell that you are one of those people who "Gets It"! Let me know if I can be of any help to you about any Gen 1 questions you might have. You are always welcome to PM me.

Barney sounds good. What part of Ky are you in. I'm in Louisville. Love to see Barney up close.

PDW: I'm just outside of Richmond and take trips to "The Ville" all the time.

Serious Question: Cat fan or Card?

I was just looking over this on their website and decided to see if any one on the forum had tried it. How is your project going?

Latest posts

Back