Good news about transmission repair: it is a car engine!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamV4

Reaction score
I just watched this video and it is good to know that engine doesn't need to be taken apart to repair transmission:
remove engine, turn it upside down and remove lower case.
Heads don't need to be removed.
I removed lower cover from car engines a few times (I am talking about part of engine block, not just oil pan) to get access to main bearings.
I guess all horizontally split bike engines can be repaired this way. Is that so?

Attachments

• Trans.jpg
    Trans.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 16
Each engine has different requirements. The vmax is simpler then many. The Fazer for instance has to get the head removed since there are three bolts through the case halves under the it.

Thanks, Sean! I watched your video about camshafts, it was very helpful!
If all V4 bikes are similar in the way to repair transmission, it is extra reason to hunt Magna/Saber V65 and Suzuki Madura 1200.

Last edited:
Thanks, Sean! I watched your video about camshafts, it was very helpful!
If all V4 bikes are similar in the way to repair transmission, it is extra reason to hunt Magna/Saber V65 and Suzuki Madura 1200.
????? Just because it has the same cylinder configuration that doesn't mean dismantling will be the same.

????? Just because it has the same cylinder configuration that doesn't mean dismantling will be the same.
you are right! I'll check service manual before buying. I could buy 85 Magna V65 for $1100, but 92 Vmax for less than $500 is definitely better deal!!!💪

Last edited:
Looks like me and you are in the same boat @DreamV4 . Got a '92 as well, for around the same price. Going to start on it soon and see what I bought.

I just watched this video and it is good to know that engine doesn't need to be taken apart to repair transmission:
remove engine, turn it upside down and remove lower case.
Heads don't need to be removed.
I removed lower cover from car engines a few times (I am talking about part of engine block, not just oil pan) to get access to main bearings.
I guess all horizontally split bike engines can be repaired this way. Is that so?

As Sean mentioned, "no it is-not."

My FZR 1000 has a case fastener beneath the cylinders, requiring removal of the top end to access it. Some brave souls do-not replace it, so they can split engine case halves, leaving the top-end (cylinders and head) intact.

Yamaha XS1100 owners turn bike upside down to remove oil pan and fix transmission problem.
BTW Vmax pistons can be removed w/o splitting cases. Very common car engine repair

Latest posts

Back