good to go?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman22

Reaction score
all good in the world of oem cdi boxes...at least it still ran sort of.3167C451-20CA-45BC-B79E-A784BC309C4B.jpeg

??? you've circled around what appearto be diodes, with what looks like white furry stuff at each end - are they damaged?

lol. Interesting. I have seen capacitors offload their contents, but diodes have no content. Pure solid state enclosed in some manner of package material. Many are polymer, those appear to be ceramic. And fluffy stuff around diodes doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. They tested bad?

Last edited:
to be honest i didnt even bother. I've been chasing a miss fire ever since i got it put together.

I pulled the unit and it's carrier out and found severly corroded plugs. I opened the case and found signs of water intrusion. After removing the board screws i squezedd the bore scope in there and decided it wasn't anything that needed further investogation.

I am pretty sure that the fluffy material is corrosion/oxidation buildup of some sort. There is also fairly heavy corrosion under the epoxy goo stuff (actual technical name might be different) throughout the entire board.

As you can tell this is all above my pay grade and by opening the little black box I probably exceeded my security clearance.

Im going to order a new dyna box today . Eventhough the ignitech has more ability, my guess is I would somehow manage to let the smoke out of it. And since they won't sell replacement smoke i buy dyna's as the only thing i need to plug into it is the bike.

No you're limitations.

to be honest i didnt even bother. I've been chasing a miss fire ever since i got it put together.

I pulled the unit and it's carrier out and found severly corroded plugs. I opened the case and found signs of water intrusion. After removing the board screws i squezedd the bore scope in there and decided it wasn't anything that needed further investogation.

I am pretty sure that the fluffy material is corrosion/oxidation buildup of some sort. There is also fairly heavy corrosion under the epoxy goo stuff (actual technical name might be different) throughout the entire board.

As you can tell this is all above my pay grade and by opening the little black box I probably exceeded my security clearance.

Im going to order a new dyna box today . Eventhough the ignitech has more ability, my guess is I would somehow manage to let the smoke out of it. And since they won't sell replacement smoke i buy dyna's as the only thing i need to plug into it is the bike.

No you're limitations.
If you find someone selling replacement smoke. send me the link or address. I let the smoke out of a Sawzall and need to replace it.

If you find someone selling replacement smoke. send me the link or address. I let the smoke out of a Sawzall and need to replace it.
My favorite Sawzall-type reciprocating saw is the Porter-Cable Tiger Claw saw with the adjustable head. You can get into all-sorts of places a traditional saw cannot. I'm not-sure they manufacture it anymore, but mine is a real time-saver.
Porter Cable 9750 Tiger Claw Reciprocating Saw - Concord Carpenter (aconcordcarpenter.com)

Ive tried, they won't sell it. they just want you to buy a new one rather than fix the old one.

No you're limitations.
Good luck finding a dyna.
They discontinued the one.that works on an 85.

Dyna still has them. They cost a bit more from them. the D3k7-7 is $399 or you can ebay one for less. They did discontinue the old dip switch model several years ago.59CB27C3-6C54-4CB2-ACF3-3B4824AC65C7.pngC494FC36-4250-4E86-A8BC-FF070B6DBB9C.png

got one on the way yesterday. pic on the bottom is actual. the pic on the dyna site is generic.

Last edited:
yes, some chemical reaction between dissiamilar metals of used for the leads and copper tracks and/or solder. It, looks similar to the stuff you get when a battery is left too long in a TV remote control or similar gadget - diodes ofcourse can't exude stuff as they are more or less sand encapsuled in a case..

We still sell the Dyna's but honestly most chose the Ignitech's which is more durable and has more options.

Back