Good Vmax Myth

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Last night while out in the garage a guy stopped in my driveway trying to sell me those really bad pre packaged steaks.

When he saw the Vmax he started telling me about how they were "Outlawed" long time ago, right after introduction...........

It was one of those moments where you just grin and nod your head..........

No point in trying to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig....

Heard a lot of Vmax Myths over the years; hadn't heard this one before....

I've heard that the first year they were recalled because they had so much torque they were twisting frames.

I heard they were recalled after the first year to de-tune them due to rider deaths. (I'm thinking this tied in with the 85's made the most power rumor)

I heard that the radiator is so big that it works as a spoiler and causes the front wheel to go light at 155mph which happened to his brother and he crashed... All that at a stop light...

I just nodded my head shut my tinted visor and rolled my eyes.

Chris

I heard that when they first came out, the insurance companies wouldn't insure them. Too powerful.

t

my mom got a life insurance policy on me

89 was the last year for the big motor

I think most people believe, as I did once, that the scoops are actually working air intakes.

I was a little disappointed when I found out they were just for looks.

All these rumours we're based in some part on a semblance of truth, but "Outlawed"???????????

Obviously comes from someone who understands nothing about our constitution??

Like saying musclecars were "outlawed" on the basis of HP alone...pure B.S.

They might have been regulated out of existence by emissions laws, gas prices, and high insurance rates, as soon as the Mfrg's figured out how to get it done inside mileage and emission regualtions they came right back stronger than ever...................but a simple HP cap wouldn't stand up in any court in the land..........On a bike or a car.............

Actions by the Mfgr. under the guise of "social responsibility" don't constitute outlawing......

Sorta like Sea-Doos "challenge to the industry" back in 99 to cease the speed wars....it was driven by lawsuit liability fears, a desire to appear more responsible and threat of regulation...............A simple speed cap couldn't be enforced but threat of other kinds of red tape and regualtion by the coast guard allowed it to happen....We can thank our current motorcycle speed cap on Europe and it's system having more leeway to make onerous regulation with no constitutional concerns.....

If the Gen 1 had a "socialy responsible" Mfrg's limit based on chassis design it would be about 90mph:rofl_200:

The fact that they didn't sell the '87 model year here in the states (due to poor sales) probably initially played into the "Outlawed" rumors and others.............

Last night while out in the garage a guy stopped in my driveway trying to sell me those really bad pre packaged steaks.

When he saw the Vmax he started telling me about how they were "Outlawed" long time ago, right after introduction...........

It was one of those moments where you just grin and nod your head..........

No point in trying to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig....

Heard a lot of Vmax Myths over the years; hadn't heard this one before....

I heard something similar last year....this guy told me when the first bunch were imported 'THEY' pulled them off the market and locked them in a barn.

Did I ask him who 'THEY' are? Not a chance!! :punk:

I heard that when they first came out, the insurance companies wouldn't insure them. Too powerful.

t

They were placed on a 'hit list' by ins. companies....went into the assigned risk pool. Every year it was a hassle getting my '85 insured because of it.

All the rumors about the Legendary VMax are refreshing... It's great to Ride a Legend for sure... I asked a couple teens today if they knew what my bikes were. They said, No, other than Motorcycles... When I said VMax's, they Lit Up and had a few stories themselves... One thought there had been a drag race with a Jet Fighter on a runway and the VMax won....

He must have seen Top Gun and thought the bike was a VMax....:rofl_200:

All the rumors about the Legendary VMax are refreshing... It's great to Ride a Legend for sure... I asked a couple teens today if they knew what my bikes were. They said, No, other than Motorcycles... When I said VMax's, they Lit Up and had a few stories themselves... One thought there had been a drag race with a Jet Fighter on a runway and the VMax won....

He must have seen Top Gun and thought the bike was a VMax....:rofl_200:

I also heard that the Vmax raced an F-16 and won until actual takeoff. Would be great to see.

t

The racing a jet fighter was in one of the motorcycle magazines. I probably have it but it is in a/c storage with 1000's of other magazines from the 50's.

The fact that they didn't sell the '87 model year here in the states (due to poor sales) probably initially played into the "Outlawed" rumors and others.............

That's what I was thinking also....most rumors/myths/urban legends stem from some sort of mis-understanding or corruption, but ultimately based on a seed of truth.

Those frozen packed steaks must be making a comeback....some guy has stopped by like 3 times in the last month trying to sell me them...he wanted $400 for less than 20lbs of meat....you've got to be kidding me. Or you could opt for the wonderful bargain of only $300 for 15lbs of chicken breast. Seriously, who is that much of a sucker to pay those kind of prices?

They didn't actually outlaw the bikes them selves, they outlawed riding more than 2 abreast because the massive torque build up could possible changes the earth's rotational axis.

I seems someone posted in here somewhere the myth where in the beginning one in four V-Max owners were killed riding these things............................Gotta love the rumor mill....................:punk:

Back