Got a carb question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You poor bastard. ;)

I have a Harbor Freight exactly 2.8 miles from my house.
Aha, but virtually all my mechanical tools are Snapon, and I have plenty of them. Beat that 😂

As an aside, that has absolutely nothing to do with my mechanical tools collection. When i was young there was a well known yank car manufacturer 8 miles from me. Thanks guys is all i’m saying, greatly appreciated. I still also have my lovely Canadian Proto torque wrenches. 😝

Erm, that soda blaster could still come in handy though. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 is opening its doors to the US for travel, so if any of you are coming here on holiday bring one with you if you dont mind.

Aha, but virtually all my mechanical tools are Snapon, and I have plenty of them. Beat that 😂

As an aside, that has absolutely nothing to do with my mechanical tools collection. When i was young there was a well known yank car manufacturer 8 miles from me. Thanks guys is all i’m saying, greatly appreciated. I still also have my lovely Canadian Proto torque wrenches. 😝

Erm, that soda blaster could still come in handy though. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 is opening its doors to the US for travel, so if any of you are coming here on holiday bring one with you if you dont mind.

Don't you have Machine Mart in Scotland? Apparently, they are all over England. Near as I can tell, it's the same darn thing as Harbor Freight.

Don't you have Machine Mart in Scotland? Apparently, they are all over England. Near as I can tell, it's the same darn thing as Harbor Freight.
Yes they are right here also.

Not sure what the standard and accuracy of the tools from Harbor Freight is. What I can say is that Machine Mart are good for certain things like grinding wheel machines, metal sheet folders and various tools that do not require high level accuracy. I've got a small metal turning lathe, small milling machine, linisher/sander, grinder, and various other gear from them. The machine tools they make are basic, limited in applied stress, and lack accuracy at say for instance the lathe hitting within 0.001" on a shaft diameter. Long term skill gets you around the inaccuracies of what they supply, it's preference of what you can manipulate yourself as to what you are trying to achieve with their tools, and cost. Most of their gear is like this. Unfortunately I was spoiled as a kid with my Snapon mech tools and Mitotoyo measuring equipment (still have them all), then went onto work in large industry with top of the range machine tools. I've burst cheap tools and hurt myself at times, so my mech tools that overload at times are all Snapon, my rough stuff that I generally cannot hurt myself on are from suppliers such as Machine Mart, they do serve a purpose for me at different times.

One of my favorite publications is Classic Bike magazine, from the U.K. It has everything I like in a magazine: technical articles, history, racing, Japanese and European vintage bikes, and lots of ads. The Machine Mart ads appear to be Harbor Freight under another name, as desert_max said. It's just another importer from the far east/Pacific rim doing a bang-up business, I suppose.

Machine Mart:
Sealey SBKITA Shot and Soda Blasting Kit - Machine Mart - Machine Mart Lists for £519 which is definitely a lot-more than the USA prices for a pressure pot! Not sure what the capacity is, it says 'total weight 101 lbs filled.' I'm guessing it may-be a 40 lbs load, but it may-be more.

The Harbor Freight 40 lb soda blaster is $130, so quite a difference. 40 lb. Portable Soda Blaster (harborfreight.com)

This one is a sand blaster:
110 lb. Pressurized Abrasive Blaster (harborfreight.com) $140
It appears similar to the Machine Mart unit, but it doesn't show adapters for bicarbonate of soda. I use sand or glass bead, aluminum oxide, or walnut shell (the last three being what it's rated for by HFT). That's still 3.7 times the Harbor Freight pricing. Are all tools priced like that in the UK? Sheesh!
Classic Bike magazine.01.jpgClassic Bike magazine.02.jpg

Incidentally, Classic Bike is ~$97/year for 12 issues delivered in the USA (includes online too), and since Cycle World and Motorcyclist have stopped mail distribution, Classic Bike is going to get my subscription £ or $.

Last edited:
This is more comparable to the harbour freight item, has uk Web address but not figured out from where they ship from.

Soda blasting is perfect for delicate parts like carb bodies, plus the baking soda will dissolve in water (possibly in petrol too?) unlike glass beads, sand or walnut shells so you can be sure there is none left.

Screenshot_20210805-225742.jpg

One of my favorite publications is Classic Bike magazine, from the U.K. It has everything I like in a magazine: technical articles, history, racing, Japanese and European vintage bikes, and lots of ads. The Machine Mart ads appear to be Harbor Freight under another name, as desert_max said. It's just another importer from the far east/Pacific rim doing a bang-up business, I suppose.

Machine Mart:
Sealey SBKITA Shot and Soda Blasting Kit - Machine Mart - Machine Mart Lists for £519 which is definitely a lot-more than the USA prices for a pressure pot! Not sure what the capacity is, it says 'total weight 101 lbs filled.' I'm guessing it may-be a 40 lbs load, but it may-be more.

The Harbor Freight 40 lb soda blaster is $130, so quite a difference. 40 lb. Portable Soda Blaster (harborfreight.com)

It appears similar to the Machine Mart unit
Nice piece of detective work Sherlock, I think you have hit on something there with Machine Mart really being Harbor Freight. The smaller tank unit would have absolutely been ideal for me. 😂. If you could stick one down your trousers the next time your heading over here it would be appreciated.

Yes it’s a shaft over here. When I was spending allot of time in the US I noticed many things were cheaper, some of the biggest buys in your life are cheaper in the US such as houses, leaving more disposable income at your fingertips.

The Classic Bike magazine is definately a good read. Was involved with a small team years ago that won the Scottish Classic (only because we never broke down and everyone else did), our driver was so slow we were carving a statue of him at the first bend, but hey we got there eventually. I may be wrong in saying this but my observations on variety of bikes from UK to US is that you guys have Harley’s everywhere I went, where we have bikes from around the world as a common sight.

Looks like i’ll have to wait on the trade deal to see if the soda blaster will come down nearer US prices.

I think a Marcos or a Lotus Europa would be a fun thrash at the Scottish Classic. Something light, agile, easy on the brakes and tires, and the operator. One of my Florida friends had a Europa. Another had an Elan, they now call that the 'Miata.' The guy with the Europa, also had a Shelby Mustang 500 he bought new. A convertible it was, he worked summers as an ironworker in high school, saved his $$$, and bought it.

I've been to Sebring for the 12-Hour, and they have classic races too, it's great to see 1950's and '60's Corvettes racing against the early Mustangs, other pony cars, and various Jaguars, Ford Cortinas, saloons and sportscars. You don't see too-many AC Cobras, as they're too-valuable. There was a guy with a Lola T-70, one of my favorite sports racing cars of the 1960's. I saw them run the first time-around, at Watkins Glen NY back-then. The Lola Mk 6, precursor to the T-70 was the inspiration for the original Ford GT, though Henry Ford II denied it for decades. Eric Broadly called it one of his favorite designs.
The 1963 Lola MK6 GT led to the Ford GT40 (motortrend.com)

Last edited:
I think a Marcos or a Lotus Europa would be a fun thrash at the Scottish Classic. Something light, agile, easy on the brakes and tires, and the operator. One of my Florida friends had a Europa. Another had an Elan, they now call that the 'Miata.' The guy with the Europa, also had a Shelby Mustang 500 he bought new. A convertible it was, he worked summers as an ironworker in high school, saved his $$$, and bought it.

I've been to Sebring for the 12-Hour, and they have classic races too, it's great to see 1950's and '60's Corvettes racing against the early Mustangs, other pony cars, and various Jaguars, Ford Cortinas, saloons and sportscars. You don't see too-many AC Cobras, as they're too-valuable. There was a guy with a Lola T-70, one of my favorite sports racing cars of the 1960's. I saw them run the first time-around, at Watkins Glen NY back-then. The Lola Mk 6, precursor to the T-70 was the inspiration for the original Ford GT, though Henry Ford II denied it for decades. Eric Broadly called it one of his favorite designs.

Pre-maturely clicked on the wrong button last night, as above.

I've never had the honour to take a car out on a track, would love to though. The cars above I remember especially during my youth, a MK3 Cortina or a Capri could pull you a bird no bother, I had to make do with a pedal bike during those very early days, then eventually a Suzuki 125. The only AC Cobra's you see now are kit jobs, originals as you say are far too valuable now, I've seen some at shows but I think they are called Trailer Queens now as they never go on the road, just gather money.

When I first started travelling to the US I nearly always had a hired mustang, I love those cars and had a black convertible sometimes (still have a pic at the base of the bridge heading into Louisiana from Texas), the black one was incredibly nice looking with the convertible hood, people said I looked like a gangster during the day, and a pimp at night :D Unfortunately I travelled as an engineer or I could have been very wealthy by now.

The Ford GT-40 is the nicest car ever made in my opinion, I think Jeremy Clarkston squeezed past in one of them in Cheshire, in the flesh it's even nicer again.

I've never had the honour to take a car out on a track, would love to though.
Nor have I, but I've ridden in one.

I had the distinct honor of being driven around Road Atlanta by the great Derek Bell in a Ferrari F40 years ago. It took me about 20 minutes to get my knees back under me after getting out of the car.

Machine Mart:

It appears similar to the Machine Mart unit, but it doesn't show adapters for bicarbonate of soda. I use sand or glass bead, aluminum oxide, or walnut shell (the last three being what it's rated for by HFT). That's still 3.7 times the Harbor Freight pricing. Are all tools priced like that in the UK? Sheesh!
View attachment 78811View attachment 78812

Incidentally, Classic Bike is ~$97/year for 12 issues delivered in the USA (includes online too), and since Cycle World and Motorcyclist have stopped mail distribution, Classic Bike is going to get my subscription £ or $.
Just looked it up. 144 dollars per year. WHEW!

Nor have I, but I've ridden in one.

I had the distinct honor of being driven around Road Atlanta by the great Derek Bell in a Ferrari F40 years ago. It took me about 20 minutes to get my knees back under me after getting out of the car.
Brilliant stuff. I've driven a racing Corvette, but only in a large car park south of Sugarland, the owner Harry Rose had three of them and raced them with his son over at Florida. It was a great experience as he was filming it shouting for god sake's drive faster. 😅

Machine Mart:

View attachment 78811Incidentally, Classic Bike is ~$97/year for 12 issues delivered in the USA (includes online too), and since Cycle World and Motorcyclist have stopped mail distribution, Classic Bike is going to get my subscription £ or $.
I used to buy the mags below, still have some. They drew me in, I was young!

Attachments

• IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 11
I've been a Classic Bike subscriber for quite some time. Yes it's expensive and yes the "current" bi-monthly delivery typically arrives just in time for the PREVIOUS two month period. For instance, I just received my "On Any Sunday" 50th anniversary edition.

Still, the basic material is timeless and dates for events in England don't really matter.

Also and understandably, a preponderance of the material is for British machinery. I have a history of Brit machines (2 and 4 wheeled), so I don't mind that either, but I would like to see a bit more <gasp> Japanese coverage.

My brother-in-law in my home state of North Carolina has a stable of "exotics" (Viper, Noble, Panamera, Europa, supercharged DeLorean)and a few nice motorcycles. I have considerable seat time in all of them on Western NC backroads - and a 150MPH blast on I40 in the Panamera. The Europa drives like it's on rails, but is way underpowered in my mind. And the cockpit is a wee bit cramped...

My brother-in-law in my home state of North Carolina has a stable of "exotics" (Viper, Noble, Panamera, Europa, supercharged DeLorean)and a few nice motorcycles.
Have you tried the Viper, I've always wanted a go at one of them. Definitely in my top 10 cars list.

The Lotus Europa has a shape like what the U.K. readers would call a 'shooting brake,' though the station wagon part is for the drivetrain. It reminds me of the Ford GT Model J 'breadvan,' designed as a Kamm-effect body for LeMans. The sharply-truncated rear end was an aerodynamic alternative to the long tapering tails like the Porsche 917's.

Ford GT J car 1966.jpeg

Mike Costin (the first half of Cosworth) was a great engineer of aerodynamics. He showed that you could be fast without the need for excessive HP. As I mentioned before the longer use of tires and brakes, and less wear and tear on the driver are advantages. Sometimes, environmental conditions work in your favor too. I recall reading an old LeMans race report where the event was engulfed in torrential rains, and that year there were no 200+ mph Mulsanne runs. There were parts of the course with standing water, and the driver in a 2-litre class entry, made up several laps on the race winner, because his relatively narrow tires knifed-through the water, where the 'big-boys' were aquaplaning with their much-wider tires, which greatly-reduced their top speeds.

Latest posts

Back