Got a question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patate657

Brownsville, tx
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had put the vmax in storage for couple of weeks. Pulled the Battery and put it on a Trickle charger. Now going to pull out the bike it will not start. Battery was full charged. Oil full, Fuel is full. Fuel clicks as should and throws gas. The Fuel has a bit of Seafoam in it. Sounds as if it wants to start, but no go. Ideas, Pleaseeee...

Check the sidestand switch, it may be sticky.

The starter button can also stick, not returning fully-out.

Sounds as if it wants to start, but no go. Ideas, Pleaseeee...
Explain.
When ignition key is turned, the headlight turns on, vboost is heard to cycle and fuel pump may emit a few clicks?
Is engine kill switch on or off?

So when starter button is pressed, the engine turns over?
Does it try to catch? Ie you hear the engine firing infrequently.

I guess you will have moved the choke lever up and down when turning over?

Remove fake tank and top of air filter housing and try spraying carb cleaner into each of the carbs as engine turns over, if it tries to 'catch", would tend to show ignition is fine.

Can always test spark by pulling off a lead, fitting a spark plug and crank engine over.

Explain.
When ignition key is turned, the headlight turns on, vboost is heard to cycle and fuel pump may emit a few clicks?

Does it try to catch? Ie you hear the engine firing infrequently.
Yes sounds like it's almost gonna start until the starter clutch starts clanking and then have re-push the start button.

Yes

Remove fake tank and top of air filter housing and try spraying carb cleaner into each of the carbs as engine turns over, if it tries to 'catch", would tend to show ignition is fine.
Already Done, no change.

Can always test spark by pulling off a lead, fitting a spark plug and crank engine over.
On the list to be done.

Explain.
Kill switch Off. All other functions seem to work when key turned on. Pump clicks once or twice because carbs are full. Checked Fuel pressure and good.

Yes. Turns over good.
Does it try to catch? Ie you hear the engine firing infrequently. Yes

Yes and no change.

Done that yesterday and no change.

On the agenda for this morning.

I'm thinking something came unplugged when I disconnected the battery the other day. Acts just like if the third #10amp fuse has blown. But Fuses all good.

Removed the battery again and noticed that I may have crossed the 2 rear Coil colored connector wires above the battery when reinstalling them after inputting the battery back on. We'll see...🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

... and that folks is why it's difficult to diagnose at a distance, no mention was made the coil leads were disconnected /reconnected.

No matter, you got it doing.

If in doubt, always put on a label onto the leads, I know from my own experience at the time you take something apart, even though it may look obvious how parts/leads go back together, it is not so when the time comes to reassemble.

I have many pictures of the work I do on this bike. I took it for granite that I'd done this so many times I didn't need to look it up.......:(

Latest posts

Back