Got the Max back from the shop.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
Thankfully, the weather held off, and Tim got the Max done this afternoon. I was planning to ride straight home, but the weather held off, and the bike ran so damn well I had to go for a ride. With the new tires, brakes, shocks and tires, the bike rides, stops and handles great!

The steering head bearings were not as beat up as I thought they would be, but they did feel notchy when turning the bars, so I'm glad they're replaced. There is no sign of wobble at any speed I rode at.

I'm keeping both bikes out in the garage, looks like we may have an early spring, and I'm ready!

Thankfully, the weather held off, and Tim got the Max done this afternoon. I was planning to ride straight home, but the weather held off, and the bike ran so damn well I had to go for a ride. With the new tires, brakes, shocks and tires, the bike rides, stops and handles great!

The steering head bearings were not as beat up as I thought they would be, but they did feel notchy when turning the bars, so I'm glad they're replaced. There is no sign of wobble at any speed I rode at.

I'm keeping both bikes out in the garage, looks like we may have an early spring, and I'm ready!

Good for you, now you can ride either one anytime you want, it looks like an early spring here too but the air temp is still way too cold for me to ride. I's making me hope for a quick spring and summer..

Take Care Bill

Ron

Good to hear Bill. I did the same thing this year. The mistress is ready to ride. Even reasonably clean. I'll check her over but no plans on tearing it apart.
Steve-o

I bought some wheel stripes last fall. Today, they went on. One last bite in the ass from the Monkey.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 44
Your bike is lookin' good, it has certainly served you well.

I always liked the look of the red stripe on black wheels. One of the early adopters of this, from the factory, from 1981, the Sturgis, which I think was belt primary and belt final drive, possibly the first such from H-D (pic 1). Then a pic of two H-D's on A1A just north of Daytona Beach, a couple years ago. I think the Lowrider is one of the best-looking H-D's ever, and practical. My friend bought his black one new in Palm Beach County FL, new, and still has it. We'll be in Daytona Beach for Bike Week shortly, we've attended probably 25 times together. Yours truly for the FLSTN, I changed the tins from the silver/dark green to something more-Florida, now it looks like a Creamsicle.

ClickHandler.ashx

I bought some wheel stripes last fall. Today, they went on. One last bite in the ass from the Monkey.

Attachments

• Daytona pair of bikes at beach.01.jpg
    Daytona pair of bikes at beach.01.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 21
  • creamsicle.jpg
    creamsicle.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 8
I had a friend back in the 1970s. He rode a Superglide... He would get the tins painted and pinstriped about every 2 years. His reasoning was, a paint job is the cheapest way to get a new bike.. I guess as long as the machine is in good shape, he was right. He also was one of the first victims of the Mod Monkey. His HD was a Shovelhead, 1974. It has the vertical frame tube and brackets for the old school sprung saddle. He had the tube reamed out to fit the movable seat post, and fit a sprung saddle to the bike. Following him on my RD350, it was funny to see the swing arm and shocks going one way, and the sprung saddle bouncing around separately.
Good times. I used to ride with a bunch of Harleyboys, on my 350. They would make me ride in front "to kill the mosquitos", but we all knew it was because they couldn't keep up with me when the time came to twist the grip..

Latest posts

Back