Gravity fuel filter?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamV4

Reaction score
I don't know any fuel filter, which can completely eliminate rust dust from fuel tank. There are filters (I don't know right name), where dirt goes down and stays there until bottom screw it opened to drain deposits. I am sure somebody can figure out how prevent rust dust from going into carbs. I would use 2 filters: paper filter and "gravity" filter.
I hate cleaning fuel tanks!!!!!! And they still have rust dust after cleaning.

if you have rust dust in your tank after a fill with petrol it should all sink to the bottom of the tank, can't you syphon it out in a similar way swimming pools have the bottom area cleaned

if you have rust dust in your tank after a fill with petrol it should all sink to the bottom of the tank, can't you syphon it out in a similar way swimming pools have the bottom area cleaned
I use a dyna glo siphon pump for kerosine and a coffee filter to clean out the bottom of fuel tank

I suspect your idea fails for a couple of reasons. Filters will stop all but the smallest of particles so firstly those particles will remain in suspension rather than sink to the bottom of the filter, secondly as you are probably planning to ride the motorcycle, the movement will stir up any particles that have sunk to the bottom.

Dunno if these exists but you probably want an ultra fine medical grade filter with large surface area to prevent it getting blocked or a centrifugal filter.

The solution is to fix the source by eliminating the rust in the tank. A possible alternative is to make use of a magnet to grab the rust particles.

Unfortunatly rust is not magnetic. but a little water in the bottom of the glass bowl with attarct and hold all sorts of rubbish, including rust particles of all sizes. (However, this won't work if your have any ethanol in your fuel supply.) Better to clean out tank with white vinegar, add a little oil to your fuel mix and always keep your tank full of fuel.

Back