grease fitting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

113s&s

Reaction score
on my other bikes.. HARLEY. ..my buddy would tap a grease fitting in the neck..and greasy it up ...has anyone done this with the max...seems like it would be a good idea ... instead of checking and repacking like manual says ?

I suppose it could be done.

But, I prefer to take off the front wheel and forks and inspect the bearings. When you test the movement at that point you can really feel the notchiness if there bad. I also like to remove the bearings and pack them in grease to ensure every roller is lubed. It's not too bad of job. I figure 15 minutes to jack the front end up, remove wheel/forks, remove steering head nut, remove 10 mm bolt in headlight shell and lift top triple plus handlebar and lay on faux tank. Probably another 10 -15 to lube the bearings up good and then another 15-20 minutes to put it all together and torque everything. It's always more difficult the first time but after that it's butta.

My take on this would be, that by the time it's time to repack the steering head bearings, it's a better idea to disassemble and inspect condition of them before, so need for a grease fitting - for any bike.

Mike

I suppose it could be done.

But, I prefer to take off the front wheel and forks and inspect the bearings. When you test the movement at that point you can really feel the notchiness if there bad. I also like to remove the bearings and pack them in grease to ensure every roller is lubed. It's not too bad of job. I figure 15 minutes to jack the front end up, remove wheel/forks, remove steering head nut, remove 10 mm bolt in headlight shell and lift top triple plus handlebar and lay on faux tank. Probably another 10 -15 to lube the bearings up good and then another 15-20 minutes to put it all together and torque everything. It's always more difficult the first time but after that it's butta.
had it dont with other bikes i owned and never had a bearing issue,,really havent herd of neck bearing issues untill i got into the max...Harley use to have them them stop...just to stick it to the customer...just like drain plug for fork oil.....could fill it through the drain plug with a pump.....its all a money maker

The longest/hardest part for me is jacking the bike up. With the Hindle header it's a two man job and a pain in the ass to boot. I do see where your coming from though S&S, but a quick tear down isn't too hard.

The longest/hardest part for me is jacking the bike up. With the Hindle header it's a two man job and a pain in the ass to boot. I do see where your coming from though S&S, but a quick tear down isn't too hard.

I guess you dont have the engine crash bars? Also known as extended foot rest? LOL.
100.00 makes for excellent jack stand rests and also to change your riding postion when ya need to strecth your legs out.

I just tightened my steeering head Friday, it was loose, so now I have a so so frame flexxing wobbler. It also cut down on the clank clank sound when I would hit bumps. Tightened her and let it rip to 160 with no problems. I also managed to stay in focus with my ZRX1200 riding buddy

I guess you dont have the engine crash bars? Also known as extended foot rest? LOL.
100.00 makes for excellent jack stand rests and also to change your riding postion when ya need to strecth your legs out.

I just tightened my steeering head Friday, it was loose, so now I have a so so frame flexxing wobbler. It also cut down on the clank clank sound when I would hit bumps. Tightened her and let it rip to 160 with no problems. I also managed to stay in focus with my ZRX1200 riding buddy

+1 to that Lankee. Use a $16 floor jack from Walmart with a piece of 2x4 to lift the bike. Then use jackstands under crash bars.

No I have forward controls and a bitch of a header.
MuscleSeat001.jpg

V-MaxTire3.jpg

Hmm yeah ya may have a small problem there.. :ummm: Hmm thinking but I am sure you have looked at every angle.....Shit I dont know many after looking at your bike. I wouldnt use wood under the pipes not under this heavy ass pig of a bike. If you have a come along winch type and sling it over a structure in your garage with some soft ties around the grips that would lift it off the ground...

Ohh like your saying about how some of your post may offend some here.... I couldnt agree more, we do have some major titty babies here. and you all know who you are..................:baby: So on that note:red ass: and jump on your :moped2: and take a ride... :clapping: Dont you like all my pictures this way my words dont look as harsh to the sensitive individuals.. I am so caring, maybe I be voted for Mr. Personality.. Wooo Hooo my dream come true...

"only help those who are willing to help themselves"

I hope my advice helps in making your life simplier Dustin. Good luck with the front end lift.. I have an idea if you cant rig an idea I will come by, you get on the handlebars with your tools, We will than take your VMAX out and I will hit the VBOOST and carry the front wheel as you take your front end off.:rofl_200:

Looking at the photos, I see a forward shifter and a mid mount brake??? You could always build a U-shaped carriage out of 3/8x3" flatbar steel, notch the ends at the appropriate heights and jack it up that way, ala tranny jack. If you want more security, you could bolt it where the pegs bolt on.
Just an idea.

No, one of those pics (lower) is when I had the standard controls on the bike, I just posted so you could see the exhaust.

Thanks Lankee, right now I get a 2x6 across where the center stand went, jack up the bike from there, have a second person help me push the ass of the bike down so the front comes up, then slide jack stands under the frame. It's a little hairy getting it back off too. Since my ex-girl friend has my cherry picker I need to go buy another one. If I still had it I'd just strap the bars to it and lift, but, I don't.

Back