Greasing caliper pistons.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamV4

Reaction score
I cleaned rust from br cal. pistons many times, brakes were working fine but pistons rust again. Bearing grease would be best to prevent rusting but it can destroy seals. So I decided to use Vaseline because it is less aggressive probably.
Question is: pistons will rust again w/o grease first or some grease destroy seals?

Last edited:
If I were you I'd push the boat out and buy some rubber grease (is red in colour).

It is compatible with rubber parts used on brake systems.

Dunno about vaseline but since the brake calliper seals are critical to brake operation, it's not worth risking any damage to them by vaseline, if indeed it does damage them.

Found info:
vaseline kills rubber, silicon grease is Ok. I will clean and reapply tomorrow...
this is important info for dead bikes buyers!!!

Weird...a brake grease designed for brakes. That silicone grease for brakes....has extra uses though.....If you are doing ANYTHING with Orings....silicone grease will aid in installation and provide a better seal by not allowing the rubber to swell and deform. Any professional mechanic would tell you this. Not benefitting from saying this, but the brand I use most with no problems is Sylglide silicone brake grease.

https://www.amazon.com/AGS-SG8-Lubricant/dp/B000KXLR5E

Latest posts

Back