Greatest Guitarist of all Time...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe it or not, the only time that Randy rhodes picked up an electric guitar was at rehersal and on stage he was a great classical guitarist
and I take pride in being able to imitate him and play his leads.
Also Eddie Van Halen is one of my favorite guitarists and I have alot of fun playing those songs.:git::th_2fc2c5a5:

I love Jimi, but will say that there is no such thing as the greatest. He can't play classical, and nobody played better than Segovia, he can't play Jazz, and there are a ton of jazz greast, he never shredded like the neo-classical shredder like Yngwie, Becker, Satriani, Vai, Gilbert...

Was he great, absolutly. Was he influential, probably like nobody else. Was he cutting edge, absolutly. Is my Confirmation name Jimi, you bet. But the best, no such thing.

What could he have done if he was alive today, sadly we'll never know. He wasn't super technical, but had the soul of 100 other lesser players.

We all know, as EvilD pointed out, that, depending on the genre, there are many great guitarists, BUT, if I had to sit in a room with just one guy playing his guit, it would have to be ol' slowhand himself, Eric Clapton. Like Jimi, he can make his axe talk, but his sense of phrasing is in a class unto itself, particularly with blues improv.

They played Satriani in Anaheim on HDnet not to long ago, and he is amazing to watch, almost superhuman talent. I think its hard to pick the greatest because great guitarists are great for different reasons. I like Chet Atkins, (playing two songs at once was cool) but I like Hendrix too, and could not pick one over the other because they each were masters in their own style. Maybe picking a top 5 or 10 would be a better way to go.

They played Satriani in Anaheim on HDnet not to long ago, and he is amazing to watch, almost superhuman talent. I think its hard to pick the greatest because great guitarists are great for different reasons. I like Chet Atkins, (playing two songs at once was cool) but I like Hendrix too, and could not pick one over the other because they each were masters in their own style. Maybe picking a top 5 or 10 would be a better way to go.

If you like Satriani check out Tinted Windows. He's the guitarist...good stuff.

We all know, as EvilD pointed out, that, depending on the genre, there are many great guitarists, BUT, if I had to sit in a room with just one guy playing his guit, it would have to be ol' slowhand himself, Eric Clapton. Like Jimi, he can make his axe talk, but his sense of phrasing is in a class unto itself, particularly with blues improv.

You`re right but for me it would be Jimmy Page.
Eric Clapton once said "What makes a solo great is, not what you put into it but what you leave out. and I agree too many guitarists play outside the realm of the song. I know I`ve done that myself , it`s called "showing off" lol.:rofl_200:

Each generation and genre will have its greats. There are more than a few artists who have redefined guitar playing over the past 60 years. To name one as the "greatest" is a disservice to them and to the others. Having said that Stevie Ray Vaughn is my personal favorite.

You`re right but for me it would be Jimmy Page.
Eric Clapton once said "What makes a solo great is, not what you put into it but what you leave out. and I agree too many guitarists play outside the realm of the song. I know I`ve done that myself , it`s called "showing off" lol.:rofl_200:

I call it 'jerking off your instrument'. Although showing off your technical expertise and technique is fun to watch in it's own right, I agree with vmax626, if it's not within the context of the tune it's just technical masturbation. Most musician's stray into this area from time to time, but a few live there; Malmsteen comes to mind.
My son just turned me onto 'Zappa plays Zappa', a dvd featuring some members of the Mothers playing along with Dweezil; Terry Bozzio, Napoleon Murphy Brock and Steve Vai. Great stuff for Zappa fans.

What I notice about the question "who's the greatist guitar player" is how the opinions vary from the skilled technical player to the composer.

To me the term "player" refers to the technical playing abiity. I consider SRV, Clapton, Hendrix great players, not the best, but better composers.

How many based thier desicions on how well they liked the performer's song vs. actual playing ability.

Charo for those who are old enough to have seen her, is one of the many flamenco and classical guitarsts out there who deserves a spot in this talented list as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BupUq3Dsx8E&feature=related

I think that finding greatness is all in appreciation for music in general.
You can find greatness in all types of music.When I was younger I played lead guitar in a heavy metal / hard rock band and all I wanted to play was that so, that was all I liked and disco just plain sucked.but now that I`m older and a little bit wiser I have learned to appreciate all types of music (except disco and rap ) and I have heard great guitar playing and solo`s that actually make sense.Inovators like Richie Blackmore,Jimmy Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen introduced us to a new style of playing our instruments by feeding and improving each others techniques.One of my personal favorites was Ace Frehley, he wasn`t an innovator but he felt every note he played and his Les Paul was an extension of his feeling at that moment.
I also learned to play his leads and even built a smoking guitar to pay homage to his style and I don`t care what anyone says , everybody loves rock and roll all nite live.Ive played it a million times for hundreds of people and you can`t stand still while listening to that song.lol.
<<Dave>>:punk:

Maybe the best guitarist ever (if there could be such a thing) hasn't been discovered yet. Maybe he's not in a band, hasn't cut an album or even written a full song yet. Maybe he's this guy. We will probably never know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3PqhuiGIZo

yeah real fast but, what is he playing ? it`s just fretboard smoke.
fun to watch but what do you get out of it musicaly ?:confused2:
answer: nothing.:bang head:
<<Dave>>

I think you meant to say that YOU don't get anything out of it. I know what I get out of it.:punk:

Back