Greatest Guitarist of all Time...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah real fast but, what is he playing ? it`s just fretboard smoke.
fun to watch but what do you get out of it musicaly ?:confused2:
answer: nothing.:bang head:
<<Dave>>
He's playing smoking fast and in the key of what ever he's playing, excellent use of the phrygian, dorian and lydian modes.

hello all, this question brings me back to my younger days. the best guitarist of all time is MICK BOX from URIAH HEEP, if you doubt this statment that i make, then prove it to yourselves ,look up the MAGICIAN'S BIRTHDAY guitar solo on youtube.this was done in 1972 on the magicians birthday album. an exellent demonstation of impecable application of the guitar as a tool to convey mood and emotion. listen to this solo my friends ,it will be a learning experience. it is amazing this was done in 1972. best to you all buckridge

hello all, this question brings me back to my younger days. the best guitarist of all time is MICK BOX from URIAH HEEP, if you doubt this statment that i make, then prove it to yourselves ,look up the MAGICIAN'S BIRTHDAY guitar solo on youtube.this was done in 1972 on the magicians birthday album. an exellent demonstation of impecable application of the guitar as a tool to convey mood and emotion. listen to this solo my friends ,it will be a learning experience. it is amazing this was done in 1972. best to you all buckridge

Just listened to it, pretty much spot on for that era, lot of wah wah pedal, nothign crazy, wouldn't even put it in the top 100 solos, probably not even in top 500, but thats my opinion. Blackmore, Page, Iommi, Beck and a whole slew of others were doing a lot more at that time.

Greatest?
don't know

Best technically?
Probably Joe Satriani

But greatest to me means - most entertaining to watch and listen to, and really knows how to swing and groove............

Sorry,but after reading the previous posts i had to have my say... but ladies and gentlemen I bring you...........

Angus Young....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBXHZNSUtyg

In this vid he breaks a string - swaps guitars and comes back on playing it with no strap, retunes it a bit and all while a roadie fits a new one DURING a solo!! :punk:

Been watching this one with much interest...and agree with all the former posts as to the 'greatest'... All mentioned pretty much qualify.

Having spent a 'few' decades owning, and playing...I came to an understanding a long time back, that there just ain't no ONE best...many are extremely gifted, and deserving... But it's a little like 'gunfighting'...sooner or later, regardless of how good you are, somebody's come along, and they're gonna shoot ya down!.... I've had 16-17 year old 'kids', come into my home, pick up one of mine, and play circles around anything I can do.. Makes me sometimes wanna throw all my shit in the moat!, and just quit!..

But for me it's not all about 'how good or fast you are', but the feeling I get when I play, especially when sometimes others dig it too! One of the best 'natural highs' there is!

BUT that all said...my 'vote' would have to go to Les Paul...the man that got my absolute attention way back in the 50's... Without his skills, and inovations, and all that he did back then, there wouldn't be a lot of the really good ones formerly mentioned in here... Past 90 years and still regularly playing in some NYC establishment... My 'guitar hero' forever!

All you really skilled guys in here, and it seems there are a few, Rock On!!...Uncle Philthy loves and appreciates all kinds of styles, and sends best to all!...

Billy Sheehan..... I'm assuming Bass Guitar counts in this thread.
Billy used to play with a band called TALAS way back in the '70s in Buffalo.
Downed many a Molson with the guys in that band!

Agree with Uncle P on Les Paul & most of the previous nominations. Definitely one of my favorites not mentioned is Mark Knopfler.

He's playing smoking fast and in the key of what ever he's playing, excellent use of the phrygian, dorian and lydian modes.
You can play up and down the neck in key at a 100 miles an hour in any mode of scale that you want and still not make any sense.:confused2:

To play any instrument whlie having a disabillity - being blind - Jeff Healy

You can play up and down the neck in key at a 100 miles an hour in any mode of scale that you want and still not make any sense.:confused2:
Well, if you know anythign about music theory it does. Play a major scale over a minor progression. Sounds like ass. Play and C# scale over a Fmsus9 chord progression, sounds like ass....

I was on the 'net, and while looking up some other stuff, I found some info I thought was interesting. After reading, and visiting a few more links, I decided this was a good link to post, with some info on the subject, bass guitarist Mark Andes.

I recalled this thread, and thought that with all the new members on here, it could get some discussion going. Nothing about VMaxes, but probably all of us like music. Here is the thread: http://www.firefallofficial.com/mark-andes

An interesting fact about Mark Andes' father, Keith Andes. If you're a baby boomer, you probably recall him from his guest spots on different shows. He was on the William Conrad detective series, Cannon, in a variety of different roles over the years of the series, including one where he was a Charlie Manson-type cult leader who rarely-spoke.
https://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/cannon/episode-22-season-1/a-deadly-quiet-town/200348/ Keith Andes starred in a 1952 movie with a young Marilyn Monroe (Clash By Night, directed by Fritz Lang and original play by Clifford Odets), I bet that was fun: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044502/?ref_=nmbio_mbio even-if Marilyn Monroe does deliver a straight right to his jaw at one point.

When you look at the bands Mark Andes helped to found, or played-with, his body of work has to-be considered as a great career. He may-not be the greatest, but he's been recognized by his peers through his time with all these musicians: Spirit (founding member), Canned Heat (founding member), Jo Jo Gunne (founding member), Joe Walsh, Heart, Stevie Nicks, Firefall, Dan Fogelberg, Whitesnake, , Chris Hillman, Kim Carnes, John Fahey, Iain Matthews, Kelly Willis, Jim Lauderdale, Eliza Gilkyson, and Ian McLagan.

Maybe we can get KJ Shover posting, I haven't seen him on in awhile.

I think “Greatest” is so subjective, but I will throw in my 2 or 3 votes for “most underrated” ( in no particular order )
Richie Blackmore
Terry Cath
Django Rhinehardt

Latest posts

Back