Greetings fellow Max-xxers...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolling18

Reaction score
about to be a first time owner (of a V-max!!)
took a test ride on one and i'm hooked... I ran across a Craigs list add of a guy selling his 96 max/ 35K miles. w/ forward controls, new bat, oil, newer tires, 10 Yr owner. "runs great"
its black with stock black wheels and exhaust so stock.

He bought an off-road type and wifey got her endorsement so, Hees trading me his Max for my 05 shadow 10k miles for his wife!! (I paid 2k for the shadow)

I am driving about 3 hrs to make the trade 350 miles this Sunday!!
and riding the "new" max back. I already read ALL the new F.A.Q . page and wondering what else to look for or check on the maiden ride........ I know the 2nd gear check
thanxx
00f0f_ahOMIEJawY3_1200x900.jpg 00t0t_jExHTfrg8bg_1200x900.jpg 00E0E_go9uv4vA2VG_1200x900.jpg 00l0l_7fN83o2XogS_1200x900.jpg 00f0f_ahOMIEJawY3_1200x900.jpg 00t0t_jExHTfrg8bg_1200x900.jpg 00E0E_go9uv4vA2VG_1200x900.jpg 00l0l_7fN83o2XogS_1200x900.jpg

You stole it... Watch out when you hit the boost, be sure you've got the bike aimed.

Shes looking great.

Other than the have a safe ride part stay away from ethanol tainted fuel. Welcome and congrats on the sweet ride!

Here in Albuquerque New Mexico, there are no stations that have straight gasoline. All 10% Ethanol. There is a site that claims 5 in ABQ are ethanol free, but they arent. The stickers are on the pumps.

They most likely have it for sale in can's. I tried to use what I'm sure is the same site here in Rhode Island and made the mistake of riding to go get some and it turned out to be small can's at $20+/gal. There is no ethanol available at the pump in our entire state.

They most likely have it for sale in can's. I tried to use what I'm sure is the same site here in Rhode Island and made the mistake of riding to go get some and it turned out to be small can's at $20+/gal. There is no ethanol available at the pump in our entire state.
There is a small airport near me, maybe we can fill up there sometime. I'll check it out.

Thanx for the comments,
just an update for anyone curious..

the 3 HR ride back to Portland (mostly 2 lane tree type highways) was GREAT! point-and -shoot pretty much describes it.

On the way up the guy who I was trading the shadow to, called and told me to tell him when I was about 30. min out.. did that. In my excitement, I took my tall van because it could carry my shadow strapped down. 1/2 way up forgot my out of state oregon plates were expired by 2 mos. Oh shit!! and in the back I have a WA. plated motorcycle. (not titled in my name cause I just got it).

Anyway we get 3/4 of the way to the guys house still tree lined curvy highway. We pass a police truck who pulls out and begins following at a distance (my heart sinks a bit). Especially now as my old out of state 97 ford E150 white van. with silver tinted windows, big huge dent on the side, lots dents other places, rust, and expired plates is DRIPPING with P/C.
I tried to keep a car between us cause he could not see the tags at that distance.

After 12 miles of constantly checking behind us (he WAS following).... we turnt off to get a snack at the edge of Forks, WA. He pulls in the lot behind us in a blocking position... (O FUCK I'M Skreeewed!!!) but no lights????
I got out and greeted him, he asked if my name was mark.. (he run my plates??) "yes how are you I asked" he said "pullin of to get a drink? "yes a snack why?" "I'm mike" (the owner of the VMax!!!) I felt soooo relieved.. he either didnt care about or run the plates. and He already knew what I was driving so he knew what to look for on the road! HAHAHA

Sooo I got food, went to hi house, met the wife who the shadow was for, and we made the trade (this was the same guy who told me to "keep your cash" when I offered $1000 in addition to the shadow a few day earlier.. so I know he was "good"

ONTO the V-MAX!!!
was obviously "older" and from costal area with mild aluminum corrosion mild engine paint coming off.. nothing unexpected.. I care more about the function drivetrane more thAn (not thEn) appearance.
so bla bla bla everything is good he asks me if I "opened it up" on my test ride... told him not yet in the city.
after we load all the extras that came with the Max (coolant, oil, stok part shifter controls, backrest, Saddleman pack bag ect ect... he said " I have it on good info there are no other police on duty untill the next county..*wink wink* so open it up! test it good.. yes sir!!!

I easily get into 3 digit speeds several if no, most of the time for the next 15- 20 miles.. instant throttle, handles good very uneventful for the rest of the 2.5 hr ride.
fuel light came on about 110- 120 mi. each of 3 tanks (love the "James bond" like fuel filler:)

Cut to getting back to Portland, where i cn take a VERY long Look at what I just got.... here is what I had noticed and want some opinions on....
Air filter looked like K&N (clean / new)
Oil.. clean/ new
disk brakes.. (couldn't tell) they stopped "ok"
A couple types mismatched screws on round cam covers.. w/ 1 tamper proof screw on each????
Silver aluminum air intakes are FAKE.. they just cover electronic boxes??
Horn barley makes a noise...
both brake and clutch levers are "sticky / squeek "
Brake fluid is very cloudy.
V-Max is awesome!!?? works at 6k. (nothing to compare it to)
think I need a "small" windscreen..?

Hope I didnt bore you all with the little things..

That'll be a story for the grandkids.

The brakes on the gen 1 ain't the best, it's prolly one of the first upgrades. SS lines, R1 callipers or something similar.

The cam covers your referring to I believe are the diagphram/slide covers for the carbs. Each should have a tamper proof screw.

Scoops are fake yes, left side covers all the electronics, right side covers the radiator cap. The expansion tank is under the faux tank cover right between your legs, don't over fill it. Gen 2s have functional scoops.

Horn is normal, mine never made a noise it just vibrated. Also a common upgrade.

Brake and clutch levers prolly need to be pulled off cleaned and lubed. I had to do mine every year.

Cloudy brake fluid, it's time for a flush with clean fresh fluid, it'll help the brakes also if it's old.

Vboost actually starts at 5,800 rpm at 6,000 it's fully open, you should hear the servo when you first turn the key on Everytime.

You can upgrade the brake pads to HH or sintered, it was a huge upgrade on my 97, but bare in mind not to grab a handful or foot full of brake, they grab with little effort. Once you get the small things done. You'll have to do the Double d mod, and get some suspension upgrades if they haven't already been done. If you go with a full exhaust, get a stage 7 jet kit, or Morley's muscle kit...... And the biggest mod of all, make it yours. This forum is a plethora of info. And the greatest minds of the v max world if you need help with anything don't be afraid to ask. Welcome to the v max family!!!

Thanx for the comments,
just an update for anyone curious..

the 3 HR ride back to Portland (mostly 2 lane tree type highways) was GREAT! point-and -shoot pretty much describes it.

On the way up the guy who I was trading the shadow to, called and told me to tell him when I was about 30. min out.. did that. In my excitement, I took my tall van because it could carry my shadow strapped down. 1/2 way up forgot my out of state oregon plates were expired by 2 mos. Oh shit!! and in the back I have a WA. plated motorcycle. (not titled in my name cause I just got it).

Anyway we get 3/4 of the way to the guys house still tree lined curvy highway. We pass a police truck who pulls out and begins following at a distance (my heart sinks a bit). Especially now as my old out of state 97 ford E150 white van. with silver tinted windows, big huge dent on the side, lots dents other places, rust, and expired plates is DRIPPING with P/C.
I tried to keep a car between us cause he could not see the tags at that distance.

After 12 miles of constantly checking behind us (he WAS following).... we turnt off to get a snack at the edge of Forks, WA. He pulls in the lot behind us in a blocking position... (O FUCK I'M Skreeewed!!!) but no lights????
I got out and greeted him, he asked if my name was mark.. (he run my plates??) "yes how are you I asked" he said "pullin of to get a drink? "yes a snack why?" "I'm mike" (the owner of the VMax!!!) I felt soooo relieved.. he either didnt care about or run the plates. and He already knew what I was driving so he knew what to look for on the road! HAHAHA

Sooo I got food, went to hi house, met the wife who the shadow was for, and we made the trade (this was the same guy who told me to "keep your cash" when I offered $1000 in addition to the shadow a few day earlier.. so I know he was "good"

ONTO the V-MAX!!!
was obviously "older" and from costal area with mild aluminum corrosion mild engine paint coming off.. nothing unexpected.. I care more about the function drivetrane more thAn (not thEn) appearance.
so bla bla bla everything is good he asks me if I "opened it up" on my test ride... told him not yet in the city.
after we load all the extras that came with the Max (coolant, oil, stok part shifter controls, backrest, Saddleman pack bag ect ect... he said " I have it on good info there are no other police on duty untill the next county..*wink wink* so open it up! test it good.. yes sir!!!

I easily get into 3 digit speeds several if no, most of the time for the next 15- 20 miles.. instant throttle, handles good very uneventful for the rest of the 2.5 hr ride.
fuel light came on about 110- 120 mi. each of 3 tanks (love the "James bond" like fuel filler:)

Cut to getting back to Portland, where i cn take a VERY long Look at what I just got.... here is what I had noticed and want some opinions on....
Air filter looked like K&N (clean / new)
Oil.. clean/ new
disk brakes.. (couldn't tell) they stopped "ok"
A couple types mismatched screws on round cam covers.. w/ 1 tamper proof screw on each????
Silver aluminum air intakes are FAKE.. they just cover electronic boxes??
Horn barley makes a noise...
both brake and clutch levers are "sticky / squeek "
Brake fluid is very cloudy.
V-Max is awesome!!?? works at 6k. (nothing to compare it to)
think I need a "small" windscreen..?

Hope I didnt bore you all with the little things..

Glad it worked out. Congrats. and welcome.

That list of concerns sounds about normal. Brakes? - heck, they sound factory fresh to me. ;)
Lil elbow grease and you'll have those minor concerns ironed out. That's the easy part. The hard part is the never ending journey to "making it your own".
Do NOT google "Ideas" for customizing Gen 1 Vmax. Cuz there's some cool and expensive Ideas out there.

T$.

That is super unfortunate. I often use ethanol tainted fuels if there is no choice at the pump where I'm traveling but I use Seafoam. Also I wash it out with a few tanks of pure gasoline before storage. In most places I travel there is the option of ethanol free premium. Last time I bought av-gas (airport) it was quite heavy in lead, but that was decades ago. At this point it might be worth looking into again, at least for fuel to run before storage.

Latest posts

Back