Grippy tires for the Vmax 1700

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musclemax

Reaction score
Folks, need advice on the most grippy tire out there for the Vmax 1700. I dont need more miles out of it but performance in dry and wet.

I am running Metzlers front and back. Metzlers are noted to be a soft compound tire so they grip good at the sacrifice of tire wear. With all the power our Vmaxs have care still must be exercised in wet road conditions. I am very pleased with the Metzlers.

Shinko Verge 011 is currently the best tire for performance available for the Gen 2. Big plus is that it's also comparitvely inexpensive, so you can replace them every year if you're doing a lot of riding and not break the bank.

Shinko 011 Verge Rear Tire (200/50ZR-18) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068C7XRM/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_ABK9Db28CVC9Q

I've personally never used it in the rain however, maybe someone who has can chime in.

Last edited:
I am running Metzlers front and back. Metzlers are noted to be a soft compound tire so they grip good at the sacrifice of tire wear. With all the power our Vmaxs have care still must be exercised in wet road conditions. I am very pleased with the Metzlers.
Are these the ME880? Would you recommend a 130 up front instead of a 120 for better handling as claimed by some owners?

Shinko Verge 011 is currently the best tire for performance available for the Gen 2. Big plus is that it's also comparitvely inexpensive, so you can replace them every year if you're doing a lot of riding and not break the bank.

Shinko 011 Verge Rear Tire (200/50ZR-18) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068C7XRM/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_ABK9Db28CVC9Q

I've personally never used it in the rain however, maybe someone who has can chime in.
Are the Shinko's better than the Metzelers?

IMO, yes much better as far as performance. Metzeler is a good all around tire, and will definitely last longer but the Shinko will grip and turn better.

I have been running the 011's for close to 50k miles and they really are a great tire. I normally get 4-5k miles out of a rear tire. I am a sport touring guy and ride lots of high speed twisty stuff in all kinds of weather. Usually 250-350 miles a day. But as high as 500. So the tires get plenty hot.

I feel the wet traction is also very good but you have to respect what you're riding with NO traction control. Especially in tight turns.. straight line High way even in heavy rain and running 70-75 mph still very solid.

I run 40 psi front 42 back.

Thanks for the advice mates!

I am about to place an order for the ME880, a little unsure about to go with a 130 upfront or 120? The rear size will be stock 200.

Thanks for the advice mates!

I am about to place an order for the ME880, a little unsure about to go with a 130 upfront or 120? The rear size will be stock 200.

I thought you wanted grippy? o_O

Shinko's aren't available where i am at. Not that i ride in the rain but read elsewhere that the Shinko's aren't great in the wet.

Are you unable to order them from the Internet, like RevZilla or Dennis Kirk?? I just got a pair from RevZilla to be mounted in the spring.

Hello. I agree with GuruedVMax. My set of Shinko also delivered from RevZilla. I LOVE these tires, hands down over any other I have had on my bad girl. Best.

I have 2 Shinkos ready to mount up, cant be any worse than the Battleaxes.

Just ordered a pair of Shinkos (front and rear) for my Gen 2 for $181 from Amazon ($10 off when you load an Amazon card with $100 or more)
$109 for the rear
$82 for the front

Merry Christmas all
For what it’s worth I have stayed with the stock battle Axes on both gen 2’s
I have had no issues in Ontario and coastal Nova Scotia they stick like shit to a blanket I get close to 8000kms on the rears and 12000kms on the front I’m not into burn outs but I do drive the living shit out of the bike

cheers
Peter

The Shinkos are the best so far. Have run them on most all my bikes. Zx14,vfr1200, 2 gen2,s and a couple gen 1 and more. Never slipped in corner

I mount my own tires. Me and a few buddies went in on a NoMar machine. Of all the tires I've done so far, hands down the VMAX rear is the WORST!

If anyone has any tricks they have learned please pass them along.

The only thing I have come up with that only really 1/2 works is I had to put a strap around the tire to the base of the machine to pull the tire into the drop center. These tires are fairly low profile and VERY stiff. Shinko has a steel belt too.. These can be a bitch to get on, especially a used one..

Thanks

Back