Grippy tires for the Vmax 1700

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks will check him out. Haven't even got the bike yet, supposed to be picked up between 27-29th. Maybe jumping the gun but I know going from a 210 to a 240 on the Raider made all the difference in the world. It handled so much better especially in turns. Raider doesn't have much ground clearance and was scraping all the time but the 240 was a bit taller and gave me more lean angle. Crazy talking about that on a 740 lb. cruiser.:D

What I found with the 240 wide wheel is that while the bike looks fantastic and you have more traction, the downside is that it is much harder to manage turning especially as the center wears. It takes a lot more effort to lean it over. The wider tire/rim also dynos about -7 HP.

I bought my bike with the 240 kit on it and rode it that way for 8+ years. I finally went down to where its my only bike and put the OEM 200 wheel/tire on that I picked up from a friend. It felt like the bike was transformed from a harley to an FZ-10. It took me about a week to get used to the bike being so much more nimble it is as if it wants to fall over in turns instead of drive straight, I'll never go back.

Having said that, the guy that gave me the OEM rim loves the looks of the 240 and wont ever go back to the 200. For him the harder turning is worth the trade off.

YMMV

What I found with the 240 wide wheel is that while the bike looks fantastic and you have more traction, the downside is that it is much harder to manage turning especially as the center wears. It takes a lot more effort to lean it over. The wider tire/rim also dynos about -7 HP.

I bought my bike with the 240 kit on it and rode it that way for 8+ years. I finally went down to where its my only bike and put the OEM 200 wheel/tire on that I picked up from a friend. It felt like the bike was transformed from a harley to an FZ-10. It took me about a week to get used to the bike being so much more nimble it is as if it wants to fall over in turns instead of drive straight, I'll never go back.

Having said that, the guy that gave me the OEM rim loves the looks of the 240 and wont ever go back to the 200. For him the harder turning is worth the trade off.

YMMV
Thanks and will keep this in mind. When I first put a 240 on my Raider the first couple of rides I was apprehensive about driving into turns and laying it over further than with the original 210. Once I got over that I never looked back. It has a longer wheelbase and the riding position is totally different but like I said will keep in mind. Thanks!

Thanks and will keep this in mind. When I first put a 240 on my Raider the first couple of rides I was apprehensive about driving into turns and laying it over further than with the original 210. Once I got over that I never looked back. It has a longer wheelbase and the riding position is totally different but like I said will keep in mind. Thanks!

I can tell you that the 210 tire is one of the worst handling tires ever. Several owners mounted them on their VMax's and couldn't get them off fast enough.

The reason is the short sidewall and very square profile. It make sense that the 240 felt much better to you. On the VMax however, as already mentioned the 200 is the better tire for the twisties. But, the 240 looks killer.

Last edited:
I can tell you that the 210 tire is one of the worst handling tires ever. Several owners mounted them on their VMax's and couldn't get the off fast enough.

The reason is the short sidewall and very square profile. It make sense that the 240 felt much better to you. On the VMax however, as already mentioned the 200 is the better tire for the twisties. But, the 240 looks killer.

I read this whole debate on the other forum. Since I do 90 percent of my riding in the Twisties, that was an easy decision to make. I kept the 200 series.

Hey guys my bike was delivered Monday. Been on it 4 or 5 times. Has 5500 miles and the tires really don't look bad at all but I am getting no grip with the original Bridgestone's. They light up with hardly any throttle and this is a stock bike. I am only 160 lbs. which doesn't weight it down much. The consensus is the Shinko 011 which I have no problem with but I have been running Avon's on my Raider because they really stick well. Yes the Raider is totally different that the VMAX but I am wondering if anyone has tried Avon's. They are about a hundred and change more than the Shinko's but that is not the issue. My dealer does not stock Avon's but one of the mechanics told me of a guy with a 16 also that runs Avon's all the time and said he is a very aggressive riding about my size. Just wondering if anyone has tried or heard of anyone running the Avon's on a Gen 2. Going to order something soon cuz just too leery about trying any cornering with them lighting up like they do. Thx!

Last edited:
Hey guys my bike was delivered Monday. Been on it 4 or 5 times. Has 5500 miles and the tires really don't look bad at all but I am getting no grip with the original Bridgestone's. They light up with hardly any throttle and this is a stock bike. I am only 160 lbs. which doesn't weight it down much. The consensus is the Shinko 011 which I have no problem with but I have been running Avon's on my Raider because they really stick well. Yes the Raider is totally different that the VMAX but I am wondering if anyone has tried Avon's. They are about a hundred and change more than the Shinko's but that is not the issue. My dealer does not stock Avon's but one of the mechanics told me of a guy with a 16 also that runs Avon's all the time and said he is a very aggressive riding about my size. Just wondering if anyone has tried or heard of anyone running the Avon's on a Gen 2. Going to order something soon cuz just too leery about trying any cornering with them lighting up like they do. Thx!

I've been recommending Shinko Verge 011 for almost 10 years. I think Shinko owes me some type of commission. 🙂
I feel they work the best and they are inexpensive. Most owners that have tried them are happy.
I don't think Avon makes a 200/50/18 do they? I know they make a 200/55/18 because I had one on my bike when I did a day of land speed racing. I took it off after one street ride because I didn't like the way it felt at all. I sold it to a friend that wanted to try it and he liked it.
It feels way different then the stock tire but not in a good way to me. The Shinko feels like a better version of the stock tire with a quicker turn in and definitely has better traction.

I've been recommending Shinko Verge 011 for almost 10 years. I think Shinko owes me some type of commission. 🙂
I feel they work the best and they are inexpensive. Most owners that have tried them are happy.
I don't think Avon makes a 200/50/18 do they? I know they make a 200/55/18 because I had one on my bike when I did a day of land speed racing. I took it off after one street ride because I didn't like the way it felt at all. I sold it to a friend that wanted to try it and he liked it.
It feels way different then the stock tire but not in a good way to me. The Shinko feels like a better version of the stock tire with a quicker turn in and definitely has better traction.
Yes it does sound like Shinko owes you some royalty's. LOL You are correct in Avon making 55 and not a 50, a 50 since it's actually a shorter sidewall should give you more roundness and handle better if I am thinking correctly. I know my Raider 240/40 has a very short sidewall and very well rounded which makes for better handling and more lean angle. That is what I am looking in the Max but is also very well gripping as a lot of you have said the Shinko does for you. Still on the fence on this but this does help a lot. Thanks a bunch for your input!😎

One other thing to keep in mind, the Avon will also raise the height of the rear of the bike about a half inch. For some owners that are already on their tiptoes, that can be a problem.
It will however correct the speedometer error. 🙂

Well I went with my trusted Avon's on this first trip. Got them mounted yesterday and are definitely sticking better than the 5500 miles on the Bridgestone's. The 55's do have a large sidewall but they are well rounded. I don't think they will measure up with the Shinko 011's from the discussions on here. But we'll see what happens in the next 5000 miles, maybe...

Attachments

• 20200920_160105.jpg
    20200920_160105.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 25
Well I went with my trusted Avon's on this first trip. Got them mounted yesterday and are definitely sticking better than the 5500 miles on the Bridgestone's. The 55's do have a large sidewall but they are well rounded. I don't think they will measure up with the Shinko 011's from the discussions on here. But we'll see what happens in the next 5000 miles, maybe...
Tread goes over the edge a lot I like it my 17 is about due for skins the battle axes have been ok

What's your review after using 55 so many time? Did you also used the Avon Chrome 130/70/18 on front ? Thanks

Back