Grips

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to spray a little brake and parts cleaner in there and then inflate as needed. Helps them slip right off. Cover over all painted surfaces though to prevent damage with the spray.

There are many different kinds and the D3's we sell are among my favorites. Some like the thicker feel of the Kurakyn stuff we sell. Of course the same links as kyle above and we also have access to all the Parts Unlimited stuff.

Sean

Where would I use the air? the grips have a chrome cap on them. Does this cap get removed somehow?

Attachments

• IMAG0763.jpg
    IMAG0763.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 42
Where would I use the air? the grips have a chrome cap on them. Does this cap get removed somehow?
You can usually just pull back the rubber a little closer to the big chrome piece & blow air in there or the chrome cap on the end will pull off if you twist it and you can blow from that end. If I don't ever plan on using them again I usually just slice them off since its so quick.

You can usually just pull back the rubber a little closer to the big chrome piece & blow air in there or the chrome cap on the end will pull off if you twist it and you can blow from that end. If I don't ever plan on using them again I usually just slice them off since its so quick.

That's what I did. I sliced mine off. As for the end caps, I swear to Christ they used Gorilla Glue to keep them in.
twilightoops.png
Channel Lock pliers chewed the shyte out of them, but got them off. I do love the Kuryakyn ISO Grips I have on the bike now.
twilightsheepish.png
I HATE narrow grips!
twilightangry2.png

Are the chrome pieces part of the grip or do those go on after installing the new grips?

Are the chrome pieces part of the grip or do those go on after installing the new grips?
They are seperate from the grip. It depends on what kind of grips you get on rather you use them or not . If you get Kuryayn you wont need them . If you buy an open end grip you will want them or some other kind of bar ends.

My hand strength is finally fading away but I still have enough grip to get 95% of the end caps off by hand. Saves tearing them up lol. But, I do know they get in there pretty good. One thing to note that on the throttle side you want to make sure you set the grip (by adjusting the location of the switch housing) where it doesn't ride on the end cap. A riding condition will cause the throttle to bind which is a bad thing.

Sean

I had to replace my grips recently due to a knock over. Mine are rubber with chrome bars and end caps. I slit the rubber portions and worked a blunt screwdriver around until they slid off. Buddy of mine recommended I use hairspray to attach the new ones (Alberto VO5 no less) and damned if it didn't work perfectly :clapping:. You just can't make this shit up :rofl_200:

Chris.

I had to replace my grips recently due to a knock over. Mine are rubber with chrome bars and end caps. I slit the rubber portions and worked a blunt screwdriver around until they slid off. Buddy of mine recommended I use hairspray to attach the new ones (Alberto VO5 no less) and damned if it didn't work perfectly :clapping:. You just can't make this shit up :rofl_200:

Chris.

I just used electrical tape wrapped around the bars...

Indeed. That's under dealer cost by a long way. I charge $67 for a pair of Kury's

I cant compete with some of the ebay dealers I don't know how they do it. I am cheaper than most individuals . I cant do any better but I know every one is on a budget right now so I cant blaim any one for wanting to save a few bucks. I know I save a few when I can.

I actually changed my ISO grips to a thinner chrome with a black rubber diamond style thinking the bigger ISO grips were causing my hand cramps but then it was worse! So yesterday I put my ISO's back on and Wow! What a difference! I'm really surprised how much more I like the bigger grips. I won't be changing these again. Oh yea, I actually put a totally chrome grip set on and that didn't last 2 days! I hated them! They just slipped through my hands like they were covered in Vaseline! Lol, yea, the looked cool but didn't work worth a damn. I think ISO's are the way to go.

I actually changed my ISO grips to a thinner chrome with a black rubber diamond style thinking the bigger ISO grips were causing my hand cramps but then it was worse! So yesterday I put my ISO's back on and Wow! What a difference! I'm really surprised how much more I like the bigger grips. I won't be changing these again. Oh yea, I actually put a totally chrome grip set on and that didn't last 2 days! I hated them! They just slipped through my hands like they were covered in Vaseline! Lol, yea, the looked cool but didn't work worth a damn. I think ISO's are the way to go.
I have the iso's on my wifes bike & have had them on my wings & several other bikes & love them. I put D3's on mine for looks to the bike & about a 2 ounce weight savings.LOL I cant say I am impressed with the longevity I guess that is why they sell the new rubbers for 13 bucks but I only have about 3,000 miles on mine & they are pretty much worn out. It could have something to do with my bike not being a garage queen & being in the weather a lot but cant say for sure.

I run Kury ISOs cause I like them and the feel is good, but it is my experience the chrome goes bad quick. That goes for ALL Kuryakyn stuff, voltmeter, Isowings footboards, mirrors, grips, throttle rockers. Only thing that never went bad are my stiletto spike end caps, go figure. Sean rechromed my mirrors (not cheap) and I PC'd the mini boards. The castings are decent and of quality but that stinking chrome!

I just run Superbike black rubber ones and love them. Never been a fan of these really thick ones, they just don't feel right to me.

And I can vouch for hairspray, it's a wonderful grip glue! You just just gotta be fast to slip 'em on while it's still wet.

Latest posts

Back