Gurue ECU?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeltaz83

Reaction score
I'm sending my ECU off in a couple weeks to Tim Nash. For those that have what does he need, or what should I provide him with to help? I emailed him last month and I know what tune I need. I'm gonna order online, does it have a comment box I should put my ECU number in?, should I put my order details in the box with the ECU on a piece of paper or 5x8 index card taped to the ECU? I've got all kinds of air bags, paper filling to package it so it doesn't get damaged in shipping. If I do the 5x8 card should I also put my Vmax info on it also year, brand exhaust, air filter, air box mods, things like that? I'm just really paranoid about sending a $1,000 ECU through shipping, my wife works for the USPS, and I've heard how fragile packages get treated. I will put insurance on it, and pay for shipping both ways with a return label for Tim to send it back. Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas!!!

I have not delt with Tim but am pretty particular when it comes to sending my parts out. I would pack it in a hard plastic container and pack that in a shipping box. Send an email with as many details as possible and include your index card in the plastic box. I even write my name or initals on my parts with a sharpie so i am sure i get MY parts back and there is no mix up with the guy doing the work. Good luck, happy holidays.

I sent my Gen 2 ECU to Tim from Australia no problems. As long as Tim knows what you have done or plan doing to you Vmax he will tune ECU to match. My Gen 2 is so much nicer to ride after Tim did my ECU. I have Cat removed and K&N air filter mods.

I've shipped at ECU's at least 6 times in small flat rate boxes and never had an issue. One wrap of thin bubble wrap and its a tight fit. The ECU itself is fairly tough construction.......I wouldn't worry about it getting damaged.

Now getting lost, that's a different story. I guess that's always a potential nightmare scenario, so insurance is always a good idea.

I'm sending my ECU off in a couple weeks to Tim Nash. For those that have what does he need, or what should I provide him with to help? I emailed him last month and I know what tune I need. I'm gonna order online, does it have a comment box I should put my ECU number in?, should I put my order details in the box with the ECU on a piece of paper or 5x8 index card taped to the ECU? I've got all kinds of air bags, paper filling to package it so it doesn't get damaged in shipping. If I do the 5x8 card should I also put my Vmax info on it also year, brand exhaust, air filter, air box mods, things like that? I'm just really paranoid about sending a $1,000 ECU through shipping, my wife works for the USPS, and I've heard how fragile packages get treated. I will put insurance on it, and pay for shipping both ways with a return label for Tim to send it back. Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas!!!

Tim is the 'Grand Pubah' of Gen2 ECU reflashes. He is GREAT to work with, answers any and all questions. He once talked to me for over half an hour from the parking lot of a Lowes where he was picking up sheetrock. As far as shipping, you don't need to go 'overkill' on the packing, just do a good job of it. Sounds like you've got it covered. Good luck and enjoy the horsepower...

Thank you gentleman!!! I'm gonna wait till after the holidays to send it out. Let the package shipping settle down a bit. I got plenty of summit boxes, I've gotta check on insurance, and shipping both ways. Some bubble wrap, and a couple air bags. I found the code clearing instructions on the Gen 2 section back at the top, so when I get it back I know what to do ha ha. I think, because I store my Max in a trailer about 10 yards from my garage......... Garage houses a priceless car, and it's easier to get it out of the garage. I'll pull the faux tank cover, and take the seat loose, ride it into the trailer, disconnect the battery, turn the key on, de-static myself, and then pull the ECU out. And I'll do reverse order when I get it back. I can't wait to see how this thing rides after!!!!

i had tim do my 2016 max and what a huge difference mine was the performance version 2 for stock max stock exhaust everything stock but ecu i bought another stock ecu from tim and had him flash that one so i have both stock and performance ecu now the big thing i noticed between the 2 ecu's is stock is smoother but perf ecu has lopeie idle like it has cams in it and u need to be careful with perf ecu i found when u hit throttle at 5-10 mile an hour roll and hit throttle you get light headed quickly its great and fun just be careful when u get your ecu back from tim cause you will see what i mean it is alot more responsive then you will be used to all restrictions gone good luck and have fun with your max

It's it worth it to get the power Commander after and Dyno. Tune it in for the extra HP?? I don't go to the strip, just street riding. I would like to do a couple track days just for the added experience, and knowledge. But I don't think it'll ever see a strip, if it does it'll be for fun.

rebeltaz83 go to https://guruedgear.com/ then check his different ecu flashes he has and he has already dynoed his flashes for the best performance you can also register on his site then email or call him up for more information and ask him about your power commander setup

rebeltaz83 go to https://guruedgear.com/ then check his different ecu flashes he has and he has already dynoed his flashes for the best performance you can also register on his site then email or call him up for more information and ask him about your power commander setup

I've been there, and e-mailed him. I know the flash I'm getting. But I have read that others have dialed in the flash with a power Commander to gain a little extra HP/torque. I was just wondering if the extra is worth the cost of a power Commander, and then Dyno time to tune it in. He doesn't have a specific flash for the VooDoo system, the flash is for the UFO system, but will work with my VooDoos. Just trying to figure out if I can justify the extra cost for a street ridden bike. I know there have been gains of 5-10 extra HP with the power Commander. I just don't know what others have paid for the PC, and Dyno time. $300? $400? $500? Pointless on a street driven bike, where I'm not after 1/4 mile times??

I've been there, and e-mailed him. I know the flash I'm getting. But I have read that others have dialed in the flash with a power Commander to gain a little extra HP/torque. I was just wondering if the extra is worth the cost of a power Commander, and then Dyno time to tune it in. He doesn't have a specific flash for the VooDoo system, the flash is for the UFO system, but will work with my VooDoos. Just trying to figure out if I can justify the extra cost for a street ridden bike. I know there have been gains of 5-10 extra HP with the power Commander. I just don't know what others have paid for the PC, and Dyno time. $300? $400? $500? Pointless on a street driven bike, where I'm not after 1/4 mile times??
I had my 2018 Flashed, and added a power commander. What I found with the flash, is the A/F was off for each bank. With the power commander was able to tune each cylinder bank. Seems to run great. Also added slip ons, with cat delete. Cheers.

He told me to get a PCV to get it dialed in even with a reflash, it’s close but can be made even better on a dyno. Every bike is different, different altitudes etc.

Every bike is a bit different (more than you expect) so it's definitely worth having a dyno run after the nash flash.

Tim sent me his closest flash for my setup but the afr was not consistent and it was running rich. I decided to get a PCV too (I was going to get one in the future anyway for the nitrous) and it did allow the tuner to get another 7-8rwhp plus make the afr curve very flat. The flash is fantastic but it did need a tweak for my bike (as per Tim's valued advice to me).

I suggest you start with a dyno run and take it from there.

I'd suggest riding the bike as is after the re-flash before making a decision. The improvements will be obvious to you and will make the bike even more enjoyable to ride . It's key design features are to eliminate the bad "bog" off idle when you go WOT, remove the jerky throttle response at small throttle openings, balance the cylinder fueling to fix the 1 lean cylinder from the factory and of course to eliminate the top speed limiter.

Also as noted there are multiple versions that are tuned specifically for most of the available exhaust systems out there........which is important because of how differently they flow and scavenge.

A good tune on top of a re-flash will almost always garner a few more HP because Tim's re-flash's are conservative and safe. He doesn't ever want to be responsible for damaging someones engine. So that means the fueling is on the rich side and the timing is set to run on non-premium pump gas.

Most owners are running without a PCV and custom tune on top. I did for years and did drag race, consistently running in the high 9's @ 140mph......and I am by no means a talented drag racer. In fact I kinda suck at it LOL.

Note I said a GOOD dyno tune will show an improvement, not all tuners are created equal.....so on top of the additional expense of the PCV you need to be sure the person you use is really good.

So it sounds to me you will be satisfied with all the improvements you'll get from the re-flash since you say your not concerned with potentially leaving a little power on the table.

I'm not trying to discourage the people who want every bit of power they can wring out of their Max's ..........if you have the money and know a good tuner, go for it!

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll give it some ride time and see how it does before I decide if I want the pcv, as it's not required. There is a Dyno about 10 minutes from me that does allot sport bikes, I'm not sure if they have done a Vmax before. I'll have to take a ride over after the weather warms some and talk to them. I'll post back on here what they say try to get some info. Never been to a Dyno before.

I haven't read all the replies above but the PC-V will allow the fine tuning to your specific engine/exhaust combo which the reflash cannot do. It will run well with the reflash but even better with a specific tune with the PC-V.

I haven't read all the replies above but the PC-V will allow the fine tuning to your specific engine/exhaust combo which the reflash cannot do. It will run well with the reflash but even better with a specific tune with the PC-V.

Thanks Sean, a PC-V will be in my future as well, next question is the PC-V better than the bazzazz? Spell it right? Lol

I can't say as I have not used the alternative you speak of.

It doesn't seem the bazzaz unit is popular among this community as it is with the sport bike community. All I can find comparing the 2 is for the busa, R1, zx10.

Back