H-D reverse trike, like a Can-Am Spyder

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2011/08/03/harley-davidson-penster-tilting-reverse-trike/

John Buttera, the legendary custom and race car builder, originally hailed from Wisconsin, and I guess he got to know some of the guys at Harley Davidson because they hired him to do some design and prototype work for the company. In 1998, he built the original version of this tilting reverse trike, which is shown below, and over the ensuing years, the Motor Company refined the design until it was pretty much ready for production. The final orange 2006 version you see here looks exactly like the patent drawings. This might have been in the Harley showrooms, but instead, we got the Tri-Glide.

There was a lot of speculation when these drawings came out about when or if this would ever see the light of day. Well, it's out there now, at the museum, but it is no longer destined for the showroom. Too bad. They might have had a jump on the trike market and beat the Can-Am Spyder to the punch.

Attachments

• penster-rf.jpg
    penster-rf.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 62
Honestly, it really does look good but with that set up it seems like its more its for hot roding. If I ever got a trike. It would be for crusing with someone on the back.

Harley could never make it work because the struck the same issues as Can Am they couldn't build their own ABS VSS systems. Can Am ended with a Car system developed by Bosch. Harley was apparently a mess, according to n engineer now working with Erik Buell who now builds leaning trikes.

Is there a Gen 2 triked out yet?
FireMedic, 2,500+ posts! WOW. You da man.

Is there a Gen 2 triked out yet?
FireMedic, 2,500+ posts! WOW. You da man.

Havent found one yet but the aluminium frame cuts a lot of welding options so it would have to be a bolt on system for the most I would think and I'm not sure of regs across the world for bolt on main frame options ?? Be nice to see but. :punk:

Latest posts

Back