h.p. at the back wheel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choctaw

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what factory Vmax will dyno at at the back wheel,,,2000 stock....

It's different for Every Vmax but my all Stock 2000 did 119 RWHP on 2 different Dyno's back in 2002 and 2004 or so.
But anywhere from about 115-120 RWHP is what it should be.

110 - 115 typically.

But.....results will vary dyno to dyno. They are not real accurate.

I agree w/Sean, if you call 110 RWHP the mean, 50% are above , 50% are below. That's an honest number.

Dynos are different in operation, and the 'smoothing' you see mentioned on a printout of a run also changes the reading. Operator behavior can affect the run, as does humidity, temperature, altitude, so really the best comparison is running on the same dyno, again and again. Formulas are used to minimize those previously-mentioned qualities, but there is still a bit of variation, even on the same dyno from day to day. It's not enough to make you lose sleep.

Besides, a good rider can make a bike perform better than a poor rider can, especially at the strip or the road track.

All I know is that a few years ago at Thunder Lee's (Leecifer) Stock Vmax put out 119-120 as well.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/album.php?albumid=712&pictureid=6607
And I believe another stocker did 117.
All the Stage 7/Morley Jet Kitted / Piped Vmaxes did about 123-125 which is exactly what everyone seems to say they should be.
So apparently I'm not the only one who got lucky and got a Strong running stocker.

My stock runner at 2 dynos....was 105.....and 106. I would say an average of 110....with 50% of Vmax above....and 50% below.

All I know is that a few years ago at Thunder Lee's (Leecifer) Stock Vmax put out 119-120 as well.
And I believe another stocker did 117.
All the Stage 7/Morley Jet Kitted / Piped Vmaxes did about 123-125 which is exactly what everyone seems to say they should be.
So apparently I'm not the only one who got lucky and got a Strong running stocker.

At topeka ks 2 years ago....I saw a stage 7 Vmax....do 118. That was it. That was with a Marks 4-2 I believe, and Carrozeria wheels.

At topeka ks 2 years ago....I saw a stage 7 Vmax....do 118. That was it. That was with a Marks 4-2 I believe, and Carrozeria wheels.
That seems low for a Stage 7/Piped Max.
I don't even know how many Maxes were Dyno'd at Thunder the last few years (Mike Moore might know) but most of them had either Stage 7 or a Morley's Kit and were Piped and pretty consistently did around 122-125/126 IIRC.

Last edited:
Every now and then you find a stronger running one for some odd reason. My 99 with marks exhaust any nothing else done period pulled 122 on one dyno and 123 on another but that is far from typical usually there right where Sean said.

My 89 pulled a few tenths under 125 on one dyno, and 123 on another. Marks 4-2, the rest were stock parts. Running a bit rich too. Sean thought there was more to be had with it, after seeing the print out.

It's all in the tuning but stock, 110 + or - a couple is normal from what I've seen.

I agree with most people here 105-115 is about what your going to see.

And it all ready depends on the dyno to be honest, On one dyno my bike my 248 hp or something like that and on another is made 257 I think, and on a third it made 246. So going by those numbers you can see 11 hp difference. That could be the air, the operator, the dyno etc. So numerous variables can affect the reflected results.

The only true way to tell how much power its making is down the strip. I never dyno'ed my last max, but with exhaust and a strong tune it ran 11.0's @ 123 mph. With its weight and mph I want to say it in theory made 126 hp to achieve that et and mph. Whether it really did or not, who knows, but it ran the number. In comparison Vmax Mikes bike was dyno'ed and I think it made 121 hp ( not 100% sure ) and he ran 11.70 @ 117 mph with it. He is heavier than me by about 40-50 lbs, so that shows in the et also. He sported stage 7 carbs, dyna ignition, ufo pipes and a few other small things. Plus Damon dyno'ed it quite a bit.

And yes your going to get some setups that will make power and the exact same that wont. When I used to work at one of the race shops, we would dyno the Viper motors. They had to make within 10% of the advertised hp if I recall, which meant atleast 405 hp minimum. If it was a day that was very humid, numbers would be down. So some of the guys would fudge the numbers to raise the level so the motor didnt have to be gone through a second time.

Think of it this way, you find a happy dyno.... or someone that wants to inflate the dyno numbers because they worked on your bike.... so they up or down a few background variables that you won't see and then rerun your bike and magically it picks up 2-3 more hp.... of course your happy!

LOTS of dyno operators run like that. They will run it a little happy sided so that their customers aren't disappointed. If you own a dyno and your numbers are always low, word will get around and people wont come to you. So I hate to say it happens more than you think it would.

I ve seen it personally in the shop I worked in. :bang head:

I tell everyone make it sound the way you like it and make it look the way you like it and keep your money to ride the shit out of it. Unless you want to put big money in a gen 1 its not going to be much faster than stock. Come to Michigan and ride with us and you will see that its true.

I understand what your saying Mike, and just to clarify a little of what your saying. There are things you can do to make it faster, but honest bang for the buck, the Vmax is pretty well thought out as is from the factory. So saying make it the way you want and not expecting to have a 9 second gen 1 vmax by adding just an exhaust system has to be noted.

Tub thumping;
My 07 gen1 showed 113.2 RWHP before it was played with.
It's now overborbored to 1420 cc. Camshafts are higher lift and duration, valves are triple cut. Stage seven jetting, full race exhaust with V-Boost still active @6k rpm. Dyno shows a hair under 150 RWHP at a cost of over 6k. Runs fantastic, not a thought of selling it but I could buy a gen2 with more power for less. Also, it handles like a pig :(

Chris

Delkevic slip-on muffler's is best bang for the buck if you want a good looking good sounding exhaust. With the silencer in it sound's good and not to laud take it out and it's almost as laud as ufo full system.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181051863034?lpid=82&chn=ps

Best bang for the buck turn signal's and i think Sean Morley sell's them for like $40 or $50 for 4 signals. easy install on gen 1 vmax.

http://www.pythonmotorsports.com/vmax/blinker_wiring.html

led tail light license plate (Scooby style for less money) good price and looks way better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161457545936?lpid=82&chn=ps

Installed with led light in place of rear grab bar reflector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUZJC0PqNJc

You can do all this for around $500

About the only other thing that i would need if i did another gen 1 vmax is a rev-limiter.

With the dellevic slip-ons you should have around 116 to 118 hp. Lee has this exhaust without carb tune or dyno tune and he ran in the 11.60s .

Latest posts

Back