Had my fill of new york

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsman30

Reaction score
I had my fill of New York I believe I need to relocate thinking about Florida Tampa area. I am a carpenter by trade anybody know how the construction industy is down there?

I know in the Orlando area they building new homes again plus renovation work on low prices / foreclosures has been real popular work for some contractors as well. I would imagine Tampa is in similar shape. CaptainKyle, SpecOps and others live over there and should be able to provide some insight.

Hopefully you can join us for year round riding in the sunshine state!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I would look into Texas as well. Both have no state income tax. + 1

From what I was told by my aunt in dallas. People are flocking to dallas fort worth area. Population is expected to triple

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

MAN dC 's always booming !!!! your hard earned money that you pay in taxes for overpaid gov't workers and gov't contractors There's always work around here cause most of them people can't turn a screw driver.. Who wants to ride in December anyway's ..wait I do ..

Construction in south FL is still slow, but it's better than it was in 2006. The inventory of short-sale houses is supposed to be depleted, and sellers who are not facing distress sales are able to get more $. The inventory of middle-income housing esp. single-family detached housing is low, even condos are starting to be planned, permitted, and built.

Wages in a 'right-to-work' state are lower than where the unions are stronger. My brother was a union carpenter here and eventually moved to CA where he is now, in the Bay Area.

If you want to move here, you should try to make plans for a job before you make the move. FL & NYS both have 19+ million people, both have large concentrations of urban corridors, and large areas of less-dense population where the wages are not good and the opportunities for jobs are likewise, unless you work for the county or state gov't. or the feds. As a general rule, the further south you go, the higher the cost of living, and the better the wages. Skilled workers always have an advantage over unskilled labor.

FL has a large # of people coming & going. Coming for what they perceive as 'better opportunity,' going because they didn't locate it. Look online at the classifieds for the papers in the urban areas for an idea of what the market is like. You can also look at the State of FL website for jobs database. https://www.employflorida.com/vosnet/Default.aspx

The issue you may face the further you "go south" is that if your geared towards new housing work that nearly all of the framing work is done by illegals, its one of many reasons housing is cheaper down here.
Its been years since I've seen a Caucasian concrete, drywall, framing or roofing crew.

If your more into a "craft" like finish work or cabinetry you'll still see Caucasian workers, working for third party specialty contractors that sub out to the builders.

The issue you may face the further you "go south" is that if your geared towards new housing work that nearly all of the framing work is done by illegals, its one of many reasons housing is cheaper down here.
Its been years since I've seen a Caucasian concrete, drywall, framing or roofing crew.

If your more into a "craft" like finish work or cabinetry you'll still see Caucasian workers, working for third party specialty contractors that sub out to the builders.

That practice is not limited to the south. See plenty of it up here in Pittsburgh.

Well New York is out of control with taxes and new laws being made by the day only a matter of time before you have to pay to take a shit... Never mind we do damm:bang head:. I am looking more at the supervisor and project managers jobs....Texas may be an option my only worry is as a northern man the heat will take some real getting use to:flamethrower:

I don't know anything about construction but I know a lot about New York.

It needs to be towed out into the ocean and sunk.

I don't know anything about construction but I know a lot about New York.

It needs to be towed out into the ocean and sunk.

NYC does if they became there own district NYS would be a much better state!

NYC does if they became there own district NYS would be a much better state!

The taxes ARE ridiculous. I'm paying 16K a year property tax on a home on 2/3 rds of an acre in the suburbs.

Have to disagree on NYC though......overall it's an amazing place. The greatest collection of restaurants, hotels, museums, theaters, hospitals and schools in the world. I love being close to it.....but it will be in my rear view mirror once I retire because I most likely won't be able to afford the house I live in.

Well New York is out of control with taxes and new laws being made by the day only a matter of time before you have to pay to take a shit... Never mind we do damm:bang head:. I am looking more at the supervisor and project managers jobs....Texas may be an option my only worry is as a northern man the heat will take some real getting use to:flamethrower:

The humidity will kick your ass. I've been in Florida all my life & I still can't get use to it

Having lived in both for considerable lengths of time, I much-prefer FL to NYS. Each has great parts, but to spend my time continuously in one or the other, I would choose FL. I like the Adirondacks, I like the Everglades, but I am more of a winter temps in the 70's than a winter temps in the single-digits Fahrenheit-person. Plus, the no-state taxes (income taxes). Plus, you can ride year-round here, where ya gonna find that in NYS? And, your cooling bills will always be far-less than your NYS heating bills. Daytona is twice a year, and it's probably farther from Buffalo to NYC than it is from Miami to Daytona Beach.

The taxes ARE ridiculous. I'm paying 16K a year property tax on a home on 2/3 rds of an acre in the suburbs.

Have to disagree on NYC though......overall it's an amazing place. The greatest collection of restaurants, hotels, museums, theaters, hospitals and schools in the world. I love being close to it.....but it will be in my rear view mirror once I retire because I most likely won't be able to afford the house I live in.

Nothing against it except all the laws, 90 tolls, and the other nonsense from there. It is a crazy place with amazing food. Been there 3 times but that's enough for me. I'm a country feller hell I hate living in my 500 pop village I'm from lol!

Start your own business here and you'll have it made lots of remodeling going on.
Houses are still pretty reasonable here. Would love to have you in the area.

Back