Had to dispatch a deer last night...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank5079

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife hit a young buck with her van last night, down a lonely country road, on the way home. The collision not only broke her right headlight assembly and bent up her hood, but it also broke his right antler, blinded him in his right eye and broke his right foreleg. He kept on flopping several times trying to get up. So I got back in my truck, grabbed my gun bag, and pulled my Smith & Wesson SD40VE, and popped him twice in back of the head, and put him out of his misery. If I could have loaded him onto my truck, I would have, but the best I could do was drag him onto the shoulder....

Shame you couldn't load him up, great way to get venison out of season! I hope the damage isnt too costly to the van.

[sarcasm]Guns. Guns! Those nasty guns! Couldn't you have talked it out with the young buck rather than pulling a gun on him? Senseless gun violence again. [/sarcasm]:biglaugh:

Seriously, how come you couldn't put him in the back of your truck? Against the law? Or simply too heavy for you to heft with no sharp knife available to slice him up?

My wife hit a young buck with her van last night, down a lonely country road, on the way home. The collision not only broke her right headlight assembly and bent up her hood, but it also broke his right antler, blinded him in his right eye and broke his right foreleg. He kept on flopping several times trying to get up. So I got back in my truck, grabbed my gun bag, and pulled my Smith & Wesson SD40VE, and popped him twice in back of the head, and put him out of his misery. If I could have loaded him onto my truck, I would have, but the best I could do was drag him onto the shoulder....

The most humane thing to do. Perhaps one of the most un-publicized advantages of legal carry?. One of God's creatures did not have to suffer any longer than needed.
In my area, it's suggested to report deer and moose road kills to the D.O.H. They will pick up, and often take the carcass to local zoos.
Maybe not required in your neck of the woods.
Cheers!

[sarcasm]Guns. Guns! Those nasty guns! Couldn't you have talked it out with the young buck rather than pulling a gun on him? Senseless gun violence again. [/sarcasm]:biglaugh:

Seriously, how come you couldn't put him in the back of your truck? Against the law? Or simply too heavy for you to heft with no sharp knife available to slice him up?

I have a Kabar Bowie knife, but the idea of trying to gut and clean him on a dark and narrow country road with only my headlights for illumination just wasn't my idea of fun...and yes he was probably about 200lbs, and I have to deal with a herniated disc in my lower back...

the idea of trying to gut and clean him on a dark and narrow country road with only my headlights for illumination just wasn't my idea of fun.

Good choice my man..
Or someone could have been posting on some weirdo Snuff Forum,,,, "I got a good one last night boyz, , I bagged him, while he was guttin, some road kill in the dark".. LOL

I have a Kabar Bowie knife, but the idea of trying to gut and clean him on a dark and narrow country road with only my headlights for illumination just wasn't my idea of fun...

Been there, done that. Your right, it wasn't any fun.

Anyone have experience with deer whistles on their bike, or car?

Yeah, I do! Smacked a beautiful 8 pointer with my truck when I had two of them mounted on the bumper....heard after they only work at 48 mph but can't verify it.

I used to always carry when I was tank testing....long, late hours in strange towns, animals on the road....etc. Heading downstate one morning to work at Sing Sing State Prison when I whacked a girl dear....no gun of course (they frowned mightily on that at the prisons)...poor deer was laying there wailing away when a guy, wife and two small children in the back pulled up. I mouthed the words..."do you have a gun"....(didn't want the kids to hear) he says 'no, but I have a knife'! I'm thinking that's all those kids need to see....some guy hacking the shit out of that poor deer!

Luckily she died soon after, I called a buddy to come get her put her in the freezer and motored on my way. Had deer whistles on that time too Steve-o come to think of it.

I remember reading a research done by some university in the past, and basicly, they could find no discernable proof of the air powered or electronic deer whistles making any difference.

On the other hand, I live in a high deer populated area and have several other bikes other than the Vmax. The only bike that I never see deer on is my old Shovelhead with open drag pipes. Loud pipes and slow bikes save lives LOL JK, It gets rode hard in my local twisties, the ole 82 shovel 1340 dual plugs, 11 to 1's ect, stripped down, is pretty quick up to about 100 and suprisingly agile for it's size.

Fun, but still don't match the smoothness, reliability and adrenaline factor of the Vmax.

Back