Had to flat track the max the other day!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theemax

Reaction score
Riding to work the other day and coming through a small town,, a lady coming towards me turns left right in front of me!! I was running about 40, and did (out of instinct) something I have done a million times on dirt bikes. I knew Ireally never thought I could avoid her, but knew I needed to lock up both brakes, so in an instant I locked up the rear to kick it sideways so I could throw my left leg out and lock up the front.
With both tires locked I rode it far enough down to bend the shifter, but not get into the cases. Ithen started bringing it back up and staightening it out still locked up. As god is my witness, as it came upright I had to lean to my left so my shoulder did'nt knock her taillight out of her truck. I still can't figure out how her bumper didn't get my turn signal. Anyways, the bitch didn't stop, and the guy behind me was gonna run her down, but all it did was mangle my shifter, so I borrowed some pump pliers, and got it somewhat useable.. The whole thing took only maybe four seconds, but it seemed like an hour. I was stunned that I didn't hit her. For as shitty as the brakes seem, they really brought it down fast. I think my black marks will be there a long time, that front tire howls when you lock it up!:biglaugh:
The guy behind me was as stunned as I was that I didn't hit her, and all I did was pull about every muscle in my body. ( I'm just glad she didn't hit her brakes when she heard me lock up, or I would have hit her for sure. The dude behind me said he heard me yell "you stpid bitch" right before I locked up:rofl_200:

Wow! Glad to hear you squeaked through that one OK. An old lady in a Taurus did the same thing to me in 1999, but I didn't make out as well. I tried to go behind her as she crossed in front of me, but my crash bar hooked and I body-slammed her rear fender. Broke 3 ribs through and cracked 2 more. Wasn't much fun, spent 3 days in ICU, 3 more in another room before they let me go home. Had to sleep sitting up in a reclining chair for a couple of weeks. Totalled my '94 Magna, but I found another within a month. My wife switched to a trike after that, but I'm still on 2 wheels, have a 1985 Max and the Magna. Nice to have 2 V-4's to choose from.

glad ur ok man! how'd u hear the guy behind ya yell?

No, even though I don't remember yelling it, the guy behind me heard me yell it. I have done this same thing tons of times on dirt and trail bikes. One time I was racing a guy across a field and saw a sink-hole ahead, and did the same move. He said he saw a brake light, me going sideways, then I vanished.
I would have never guessed that move would have worked on a 650 lb bike on pavement!!!
I was just wanting to keep the tires on the pavement as long as possible, because I know when you you lay it down, all the way down, it seems like it speeds up, and I didn't want to go under the truck. I was was just hoping to come into the truck sideways, lift my right leg, and maybe just some broken ribs out of it. I have done the superman launch a few times years ago over car hoods:biglaugh:
By the way, I always wanted the chrome engine guards to use as highway pegs, but they may save your cases, but I think it would have flipped my bike the other way when it hit pavement, throwing me into the truck.:confused2:

Thank goodness for your dirt bike experience. That is what helped to save you.
I can say been there done that, not to that extremes as you. But I also was thankful that I had off road experience.

:rofl_200: Yeah, 8 times out of 10 the outcome would be different, and I hope I never get to try it again, on pavement anyway.:biglaugh: I would guess with just rear brake I would have either hit the extended cab portion of the truck, or the front of the bed.
One good thing came out of it, I got my helmet back out!! While on this subject, I have been searching for a kit for the max that allows for that flickering headlight thing like you see on some newer bikes, like the BMW's. Anyone with info on them? I know it really makes you take notice, although I don't think the bitch that turned in front of me would have seen a train light

:rofl_200: Yeah, 8 times out of 10 the outcome would be different, and I hope I never get to try it again, on pavement anyway.:biglaugh: I would guess with just rear brake I would have either the extended cab portion of the truck, or the front of the bed.
One good thing came out of it, I got my helmet back out!! While on this subject, I have been searching for a kit for the max that allows for that flickering headlight thing like you see on some newer bikes, like the BMW's. Anyone with info on them? I know it really makes you take notice, although I don't think the bitch that turned in front of me would have seen a train light

I just tap my start button, it flickers the headlight...........while engine is running.

Back