Hagerty Barn Find Hunter, his first motorcycle-centric episode

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom Cotter visits a couple of East Coast collections, one is probably larger than any other you've seen. Lots of Japanese bikes from the 1960's & 1970's. Be sure to pay attention to see the Yamaha SC500, the most-fearsome production dirtbike Yamaha ever made. Their later YZ490 was a better bike but the SC500 was like the Maico 501, a bike not meant to be ridden by mere mortals. Just ask 'Super-Hunky' (you have to be 'of a certain age' to know that reference).

The 'most fearsome dirtbike Yamaha ever made' honor goes to the TZ750 4-cylinder two-stroke which made as-much power as a well-tuned Generation 1 VMax but it weighed half as-much. It was a bike for the mile flat track races, and it made Kenny Roberts famously say, "they don't pay me enough to ride this thing!" It looks like this:

Yamaha TZ750 flat tracker.01.png

Be sure to watch the video, and see everything from 1960's Hondas to the Hercules-Wankel, the Suzuki-Wankel (RE-5, styled by the famous Italian Giorgetto Giugiaro), and other oddities like Vincent Rapides painted red, with British Postal Service paint, from the Stevenage Hertfordshire factory.

Some other designs by Giugiaro: https://www.hotcars.com/most-beautiful-cars-designed-by-giorgetto-giugiaro/
I normally don't like Hot Cars as a website because their content is usually riddled with errors, but this is an impressive list of accomplishments, and it contains probably my favorite car, the deTomaso Mangusta.

Vincent Rapide.01.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back