Hairline Cracked Coils

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MONTREALMAX

Reaction score
How cracked does a coil have to be before you would recommend replacing it. When inspecting my coils I noticed a hairline crack in one that does not seem to go right through the casing but it is hard to tell. The ohm meter shows proper reading but I was having a sudden stall issue that seems to have cleared with a sync. Wonder if it is just a coincidence and the coil was damp etc causing the stall and the sync had nothing to do with the stall problem going away

I have since sealed the coil

just trying to save some unnecessary expenditures replacing a coil pack

When I removed my coils they all had small hairline cracks in them and the bike was running fine, rain or shine. It seems that this is a common occurance with the stock coils and nothing to be really worried about.

Thanks good to know

hey is that your bike in your avatar?

How do i get a bigger image of that ? It looks wicked !!

Click on his name and choose his album. Jim has a bunch of pictures of his awesome Vmax. Now, if your talking about the picture in his signature, step over here and i can get you high quality pictures .......or you can go to the post here with his pics in it.

Yep, that is my bike in my avatar and in the signature. There are pics of it in the Toronto Spring Show thread on the forum and I do believe that there are a couple in the "What I did to my Vmax today" thread as well. Will post some to my gallery soon, just keep forgetting to.

Fantastic looking bike

is there a list of all the mod's you have done posted somewhere?

Fantastic looking bike

is there a list of all the mod's you have done posted somewhere?

I believe that the Garage section has a fairly complete list of all my mods to SnowMax. Will go and make sure it is up to date and there are a couple more coming soon that will be listed as well.

When I removed my coils they all had small hairline cracks in them and the bike was running fine, rain or shine. It seems that this is a common occurance with the stock coils and nothing to be really worried about.

Same here Montreal, when I did the COP mod 3 out of 4 coils were cracked. This surprised me as the bike has led a sheltered life but, as Jim said, it appears to be quite common.

just for reference, the XJ guys will put an epoxy coating on cracked coils.
I did it to my XJ because of water shutting it down. I used plain ol' JB weld to seal 'em back up, and it worked great.

Back