Halp!! Oil level

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalArts

Reaction score
Heya! So

1) My sight glass is way too foggy to see through, so I dunno what the oil situation is.

2) I know it most likely needs an oil change, but I won't be able to do that for another week or so

3) I took off the oil cap (by right foot peg) and couldn't see any oil at all, could someone please send me a picture or tell me how much oil I should be able to see through that cap at proper oil levels? (with bike sitting straight up, ofc)

Thanks!!

Also, best oil? I was thinking Mobil 1 4t or deisel oil if I can find it (for the Zinc)

I'd fix the foggy window as that's about the only sure way to know the oil level. You should be able to at least shine a flashlight in there and see when the window gets darker with fluid. When the bike on it's side stand there should be no oil visible in the window. The window can also be replaced though getting it out will be the hardest part. I could maybe try to do it with a junk engine around here to get a good process. Reinstallation would be simple and done that a few times (taking them out with the engine apart from the inside is easy).

Sean

Is there a process for this anywhere? I'll be swapping mine at some point. I'll be able to get at it with the pan off, right?

It's just pressed in there much like the windows in the clutch/brake master cylinders. So, just knocking it out and getting all the rest of the small parts out is the tricky part when not able to hit from the inside out.

Sean

Tilt bike far over to the right so oil will wash off window, if it's still murky it's probably condensation, in any case I would change the oil, synthetic like Rotella T6 will clean the engine, maybe a small dose of Seafoam in the oil might help.

Are you riding in MD? If so, I hope its much warmer there than here in PA.

You can't see the oil by looking in the fill cap.

I would drain the oil, change the filter and put 3.75 quarts in and you should be good to go for a few thousand pending you aren't leaking or burning any.

I'd think removing the window would be a bad idea for a newbie unless you had the motor apart.

Maybe you should talk to sean about buying a clear clutch cover? Maybe that would enable you to see your oil level again.

Lots of oil debate on the forum but the overall consensus seems to be Shell Rotella T. Its the only oil I have used on my end after talking to people from the forum in person.

As for the glass being hard to see I am curious to know how the replacement goes. I can still see my oil level through mine but it is far from ideal.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421272619263.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421272619263.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 14
^ I agree, Shell Rotella T 15W40 works great in our Bike.

And for the amount to use see the attached page from the Owners Manual.

Attachments

• VMax_Oil_Type-Amount-US.jpg
    VMax_Oil_Type-Amount-US.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 29
Don't they make a cleaner agent that can be mixed and run with motor oil for a few minutes, or miles, and to be used right before an oil change? If so, perhaps one of those products would help you clean the inside of your sight glass.? I can't imagine it being so filthy in there as to completely block your view. Perhaps your oil level is so high, it obscures the entire window all at once, and what you're seeing is the dirty oil?

Ive run Amsoil 10-40 motorcycle oil...and Shell rotella 15/40. With the Amsoil....the bike just didnt feel right, and didnt feel like it shifted right. Ive stuck with the Rotella after that.

have you tried wiping the sight glass off with a rag. my oil glass 2 years ago was not clear. Mind was dirty on the out side. just a thought....

I think it's just a tiny bit more then 3 quarts is what we put in on a standard oil change with filter swap.

Don't they make a cleaner agent that can be mixed and run with motor oil for a few minutes, or miles, and to be used right before an oil change? If so, perhaps one of those products would help you clean the inside of your sight glass.? I can't imagine it being so filthy in there as to completely block your view. Perhaps your oil level is so high, it obscures the entire window all at once, and what you're seeing is the dirty oil?

Great idea, anyone have suggestions on this matter? I would like to try and get it cleared off on the inside..

I tried wiping it down and spraying it on the outside and nadda :/

I use Sea Foam in the oil according to the instructions on the can. I would not advise going for a ride with the stuff in there, though. It's about $7 a can at wally world and $10 at your favorite auto parts store. Should remove any moisture and grime from the crank case and trans. I would try and find a way to verify the oil level before running the engine. Seems like you should be able to tilt the bike one way or the other and see it in the sight glass. Sounds to me like it could be either too full OR too empty. A photo of the sight glass with the bike standing up right may help others help you.

i've had no issues with leaving the sea foam in the oil as long as it wasnt a huge amount

Is the just over 3 quarts measurement in addition to filling the fliter with oil prior to screwing it on?

I think my book says it's 3.6 quarts WITH a filter change. But unless you park your 85 in a "stoppie" position with the rear tire straight up in the air, you aren't going to be able to fill that OEM filter assy with oil before screwing it back up to the case w/o spilling a little. lol

That K&N filter is the unit I use with my 06 Max. They spin on easily, look well made and seat well. I'm pretty sure it is shared with Polaris Quads. Much like the fuel filter I've started using as well. Fits the rubber grommet on top of the petrol tank almost to a T.

Latest posts

Back