Hand scribed numbers on block.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde Porter IV

Reaction score
I did a very detailed detailing on my 07 and when I removed the crome cover plate from right side of Carbs I noticed these numbers etched in the block. They don't seem to me to be original from a factory worker. The numbers with the M are on the right side under front carb 20211218_200854.jpg20211218_201519.jpg

I did a very detailed detailing on my 07 and when I removed the crome cover plate from right side of Carbs I noticed these numbers etched in the block. They don't seem to me to be original from a factory worker. The numbers with the M are on the right side under front carb View attachment 81706View attachment 81707
I noted etched numbers referencing crank journal bearing sizes on my 85s block.
Back then I thought it was some machinist/builders note to self but I have since seen these etchings in the same place on other Vmax blocks.
I just tried and cant find my rebuild pics of the block with the etching.

I think they were on the front right corner of the lower half of the case.
Damn I wish I could find those pics just to see if you had the same other than the head marks shown in your pics.
Just curious.
Hey brother from another! My name's Porter, small world.

@one2dmax would know if anybody would. I would assume they were shop markings to designate which project (ticket) they were for. Example, your bike was being worked on under work order number 8890, so they engrave that on there in a line full of motors to make sure that exact motor matches up to the work order for that specific bike.

I noted etched numbers referencing crank journal bearing sizes on my 85s block.
Back then I thought it was some machinist/builders note to self but I have since seen these etchings in the same place on other Vmax blocks.
I just tried and cant find my rebuild pics of the block with the etching.

I think they were on the front right corner of the lower half of the case.
Damn I wish I could find those pics just to see if you had the same other than the head marks shown in your pics.
Just curious.
Hey brother from another! My name's Porter, small world.
Pretty Cool Name... I just did a heritage test waiting for results the lab states it'll be 26th. Have you ever wondered about it's origin? It wasn't sorely my last name that made me interested it's the 1st and last. Clyde is a River running right through Glasgow Scotland I'm Clyde to the 4th degree my boy is to the 5th and Porter is a Scottish Name deriving from the Castles of Scotland. Porters was the Gate Keepers. But one small hitch ya see everybody in my family and I mean everybody is of fair complication except me and my Pops. My mom's dad is 50% Sioux Indian so maybe that's the Olive color but he and I have very tan skin. Man humans are not to far flung from Animals really. Maybe the ice man or post man caught my grandmother at a bad time lol. Or good time I guess. Lmbo. Where are you from?

@one2dmax would know if anybody would. I would assume they were shop markings to designate which project (ticket) they were for. Example, your bike was being worked on under work order number 8890, so they engrave that on there in a line full of motors to make sure that exact motor matches up to the work order for that specific bike.
Yea that's kinda what I thought.... I'd like to know if the Heads/Block or internals have ever been reworked/replaced or ever exposed to Tom, Dick, or Harry's Hands

Yea that's kinda what I thought.... I'd like to know if the Heads/Block or internals have ever been reworked/replaced or ever exposed to Tom, Dick, or Harry's Hands
Even if it had, I doubt those markings would be from them. After all, what would be the odds of mixing up a V-4 with just about any other bike they have in the shop?

Pretty standard. If you look around other areas of the block you will see similar engravings. Some are used for shimming or bearing selections while others I surmise are simply the guy who did the assembly work.

Pretty standard. If you look around other areas of the block you will see similar engravings. Some are used for shimming or bearing selections while others I surmise are simply the guy who did the assembly work.
Thats it exactly, bearing and shim size and colors per the manual once I started reading LOL.
There was Brn or Grn color abbreviation etching that took a call to Yamaha of America to get the size/color info for, because wouldn't you know it some colors on my block weren't given in the manual.

Pretty Cool Name... I just did a heritage test waiting for results the lab states it'll be 26th. Have you ever wondered about it's origin? It wasn't sorely my last name that made me interested it's the 1st and last. Clyde is a River running right through Glasgow Scotland I'm Clyde to the 4th degree my boy is to the 5th and Porter is a Scottish Name deriving from the Castles of Scotland. Porters was the Gate Keepers. But one small hitch ya see everybody in my family and I mean everybody is of fair complication except me and my Pops. My mom's dad is 50% Sioux Indian so maybe that's the Olive color but he and I have very tan skin. Man humans are not to far flung from Animals really. Maybe the ice man or post man caught my grandmother at a bad time lol. Or good time I guess. Lmbo. Where are you from?
Gent(research that one LOL) is my first name, born and raised here in Denver, CO. But all my relatives, both mom and dad side are from good ole Luzianna, pronounced as I spelled it LOL. Lake Charles, Broussard was my moms maiden name.

Even if it had, I doubt those markings would be from them. After all, what would be the odds of mixing up a V-4 with just about any other bike they have in the shop?
What year did Yamaha introduce the 1900CC? and I did a simple quick check on the VIN# it says that bike has been ran on a stolen check 4 times

What year did Yamaha introduce the 1900CC? and I did a simple quick check on the VIN# it says that bike has been ran on a stolen check 4 times
No Vmax ever came with 1900cc though I think other V-Twin models do have that.

Where on earth do you get 1900 cc's from? Nobody ever mentioned it or even remotely suggested it.
Yeah I know that is just it I didn't come up with it that's why I asked I'm not saying who I heard it from they are not on here but could get laughed at at their work place.. I have known Vmax for years and never heard of it

Some car manufacturers install crank bearings based on final journal diameter. They have about 5 different bearings. If bearing gets replaced, mechanic is supposed to buy right bearing from a dealer.

Added pics to the other thread as well. You can either believe me when I say they are hand engraved assembly markings or not.

Attachments

• cylinder head markings 1.png
    cylinder head markings 1.png
    200.7 KB · Views: 19
  • cylinder head markings 3.png
    cylinder head markings 3.png
    165.2 KB · Views: 19
Gent(research that one LOL) is my first name, born and raised here in Denver, CO. But all my relatives, both mom and dad side are from good ole Luzianna, pronounced as I spelled it LOL. Lake Charles, Broussard was my moms maiden name.
Do they those in Lake Charles know any Johnsons or adshire?

Latest posts

Back