Handle bar/Direction lock system

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byle05

Reaction score
Hi all!

First of all to announce myself as this is my first post on the forum :)
I am byle from Spain but currently living on The Netherlands and I just bought a VMAX from 1997 to enjoy touring (whenever it doesn't rain :) )

So the aim of posting here is that I was trying to lock the handle of the motorbike as many others by using the key and moving it to the lock position.

But while doing this I found few things:

1- The key only has 3 positions: Contact ON, Contact OFF and an extra position (which normally is for locking)
2- In the extra position the handle bar does not get locked (it remains free)
3- In the extra position the rear light remains ON

Does this mean that this version of VMAX doesn't have blocking system for the direction?
I have investigated a bit by checking the workshop manuals so I could find which specific part is the one used for this and then be able to investigate whether is broken or not but couldn't find any handle bar or direction locking system...

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot in advance for the help! :)

Its actually a separate lock on the steering head itself, But I'm not near the bike to post a pic.

Welcome to the forum.

Oh yeah! Is covered by some kind of metal cover that needs to be removed.
Just saw it

But tried with the normal key and the suspension bar is just in front and not allowing to put it in... :(
Is the regular key being used there? Or is it supposed to use a different one?

Thanks a lot for showing me the way ;)

I THINK its the same key....but dont quote me on that. I dont ever use mine, but I think my key would only go in one way, so i had to turn the key over to get it to work. I think....

Yep, the cover on it, you just flip up out of the way.

If you turn the handle bars all the way to the right the key (same one used to start your Vmax) should go in without an issue.

Attachments

• Steering-lock.jpg
    Steering-lock.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 40
I think it is the same key, but if your bike is like mine the fork lock lost its battle vs the elements a long time ago. Due to its position I think it's prone to getting water in it causing the internals to rust and the lock to no longer function. Guess they should have put a rubber gasket on the metal door.

Perfect!!
I was able to find the way to fit the key but as you say is completely useless...
It goes in but doesn't make contact at all. May be rusted inside...
Will try with some oil or some antirust spray to see if there is any solution. Otherwise will have to think on whether is worth a replacement or not :)

Anyways, thanks a lot for the help!! :)

Regards!

Sometimes I have to wiggle the handle bars a little to get the key to turn.

It's not like a regular lock. When you put the key in push in till the bolt goes into the steering then turn the key to keep it locked.

When I was at work for Physical Services over 20 years ago, and the Kryptonite shackle was big for bicycles, I first saw the strength of these.
We were called to a wheelchair access ramp. A student had locked their bicycle to the pipe railing, blocking the access for wheelchairs. My coworker pulled out the small bolt cutters. I laughed and told him he'd need bigger IF that would even work. He didn't listen.
SNAP! He brock the pivot, and one jaw on the bolt cutters. He swore, returned to the truck and brought out the MONSTER bolt cutters. I thought he had a better chance this time. Again, SNAP! Broke the pivot and jaw on those too!
He cursed even louder and called back to the shop for another coworker to bring the torch.
He igniting the torch and had at the shackle. Ten minutes later, he had cut through it!
Kryptonite has strength, all I'm saying.

I wish the locking direction on the front wheel went the other direction to the left not the right when you lock it...

Yeah, I've pondered that off and on for the past 31 years now. Odd, isn't it?

I wish the locking direction on the front wheel went the other direction to the left not the right when you lock it...

Take the lock off and it will show you a half an inch hole where the piston slides into the stem. You can use that hole to drill mark the stem when the bike is leaning left. Then remove the triples and drill the marking with a drill just above piston diameter and then you got yourself double side locking positions

Supposedly it is easier to "right" the bike when the front wheel is pointed right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only rarely used the fork lock but it makes sense to me that the bars get turned to the right because that leans the bike to the left a bit more onto the kick stand.
If the bars turned left when locked it would be leaning slightly away from the kick stand.

Back