Handlebars

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 12424

Reaction score
I have pretty short arms and would like to get my handlebars closer. I tried the Rox Speed 2" risers, but there was not enough slack in the cables. I'm willing to do cables if needed. Any ideas?
Thanks

I have pretty short arms and would like to get my handlebars closer. I tried the Rox Speed 2" risers, but there was not enough slack in the cables. I'm willing to do cables if needed. Any ideas?
Thanks

Raising them probably didn't help much, you should look for a set with a greater "pullback" dimension.

I'll look around later when I get a chance.......you could even use 7/8" diameter bars with an adapter if you find a set you like.

I know the stock dimensions have been posted here by Sean Morley....I'd have to search for the post. He might also be able to help you find what you need.

Thanks much. How much pullback do you think I could do without replacing cables?

Thanks much. How much pullback do you think I could do without replacing cables?

That's a good question....my stock bars are long gone, the ones I have now have less pullback and are wider.

I guess the only way to know would be to take the controls off and do some measuring.....or purchase several bars with varying increased pullback and keep the ones that work.

I'm pretty sure that Flanders (handlebar manufacturer) will make custom sized bars to dimensions you provide as well.

I'll check Flanders out. There isn't much slack in the cables. Found that out when I tried to install the Rox Speed risers. Thinking I'm not going to be able to get around replacing cables. They are probably expensive, and installing them is way beyond my ability. I'm also skeptical about the local Yamaha dealer doing it.

Look at rental or tag dirt bike bars. The Honda or Yamaha Doug Henry bend are the tallest. They fit without issues.

Thanks
If you change cables, might as well go braided, lot more feel, and no fading , I run them with superbike bars on and gots lots of cable left over.

I went a bit on the extreme side both in rise & cost. I had a local Indy shop custom make a set or risers out of billet aluminum then I had them anodized black. Of course I had that shop extend the cables and wires. The risers are 8" high and 2" pull back. I can tell you that on hard acceleration handling is a little scary with your hands higher on the handlebars but for me the comfort in the new riding position is well worth it. I could never go back to the original low handlebars. Mine were quite expensive because they were a prototype. If you want to email me at [email protected]
I can give you the shops information.
Handlebars.JPG

The YAMA engineers spent a lot of time and money on every aspect of this Gen2, performance and safety,,I hope you have not shot yourself in the foot. :(

Pro Taper has a new set of bars called the "adventure". An 1 1/2" more ride than standard pro taper bars and a bit more pullback. They are 1 1/8 bars so adaptors are required. I have a set on my bike, which along with the added height of adapters are uber-comfy.

Attachments

• 15891566215348898885923968340938.jpg
    15891566215348898885923968340938.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 44
Devl Max you are so right. I'm 64 years old and I have been modifying bikes since I was 16. I had bike in the old Autorama shows years ago. I have Harley's that I have modified high performance after market engines that then required beefing up the transmission, clutch modifications, starter modifications, drive belt to chain conversions, etc., all to handle the engine modifications. And lets face it, I can tell you from first hand experience, those highly modified bikes are always more problematic than a stock bike. All motorcycle manufacturers spend extensive research & development for optimum safety & reliability. I guess I just can't leave thing alone. But then again it's not a bad hobby if you can afford it and you are realistic in the cost & outcome of any project.

In the case of my Vmax I also changed out the factory shocks to the Wilber shocks for a more comfortable ride. The handlebar risers were done back in 2012 & that along with the shocks have made my bike so much more comfortable on long rides. Not for everyone but I designed it for my personal preference. The risers that are on my bike now are a second set I had made because the first set did not provide the seating position I was after. At one point I changed out the handlebars to a bar that had my hands twisted inward in the hope for a more comfortable ride. The Vmax has such a hard pull that it was hard to keep my hands from sliding off so I went with a handlebar that is more of a straight drag bar style only 2 1/3" wider than stock. I have experimented with many modifications on several bikes over the years that the outcome was not what I expected so I started over until I got what I wanted. Some times an Idea in your head does not translate to a functional modification after it is designed & put in use. The fun of ownership is making it you own.

Pro Taper has a new set of bars called the "adventure". An 1 1/2" more ride than standard pro taper bars and a bit more pullback. They are 1 1/8 bars so adaptors are required. I have a set on my bike, which along with the added height of adapters are uber-comfy.

Same here but I used the Pro-Taper 'Adventure High' bars which give 7" of extra height (but fits the gen 2 risers). Very pleased with them - comfortable, suits my riding style and look good. On hard acceleration I just lean forward and for high speed I've got a fly screen so it all works fine. It looks a bit more like a sleepy cruiser so some are surprised when the vmax zips past them on country roads.

Vmaxstreetfighter thous handlebars look good but hard to see in your signature picture. Can you post a picture of the bike.

Back