Handling

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan1

Reaction score
Hi,i'm still dithering about buying a Vmax.The main problem is I can't get to ride one.

I keep reading comments about the not so good handling of the Max,& because I can't ride one I have no point of reference.

I'm old always ride 2-up,& i'm definatley not Rossi,so R1 type handling's not a requirement.:biglaugh:

Anyone any ideas how a late model Vmax say 05-07 would compare to a new model Superglide say 07 onwards?.

Any comments welcome:git:

It will out handle about any other cruiser out there in my opinion. They only handle bad when compared to modern sportbikes which have the equivalent power. You can really make them handle well with the addition of aftermarket wheels and radial tires.

Sean

A properly maintained Vmax will handle well enough in the hands of a experianced rider. It is a faily heavy bike with a lot of power and needing better brakes if you try to go fast on a regular basis. All that being said, the Vmax motor will happily cruise you down the road with little effort and will handle 2 up no problem. You may want to upgrade the seat if you are doing more longer distance riding and you'll find the 4 gallon tank having you stop every 100 to 125 miles for more. One thing nice about the Vmax is that you can ride the wife along and be happy then when you ride alone with the boys and someone get a little racy you'll have that covered too.
As far as the comparison goes, it will be lighter, quicker handling and a whole lot faster.

Hi,i'm still dithering about buying a Vmax.The main problem is I can't get to ride one.

I keep reading comments about the not so good handling of the Max,& because I can't ride one I have no point of reference.

I'm old always ride 2-up,& i'm definatley not Rossi,so R1 type handling's not a requirement.:biglaugh:

Anyone any ideas how a late model Vmax say 05-07 would compare to a new model Superglide say 07 onwards?.

I'd say that the vmax will out handle the HD. Things like better springs up front, shocks out back and some EBC HH pads in the calipers with stainless lines REALLY helps the bike a lot. Going to radial makes a HUGE difference as well but isn't needed. The CG on the HD is VERY low so that's nice but it's also very low on the Vmax due to the fact that the gas is under the seat and the engine sits pretty low in the frame.

Personally I think you'll be amazed. Post '93 with the larger forks and brakes made a huge difference. A lot of the articles you read are from pre '93 bikes. Like "I saw Jesus so many times I started using him as a braking marker." lol

Chris

Superglide would compare more closely with a Royal Star , same basic motor w/o the heads & cams of a Max. Puts out a little more h.p than the surerglide , smoother and not as loud , easy 2 up riding , and can be customized for single riding if you so desire. I have both and enjoy both. V-max for showing up the h.d. ers , and the Royal Star for riding with 'em.

Attachments

• DSC00060.jpg
    DSC00060.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 27
"I saw Jesus so many times I started using him as a braking marker."

It makes me remember something :rofl_200:

Stopping to joke about it, cruising it something really easy with the max except if you're small, but the seat or the bike can be lowered for the stop at the red lights. Really a pleasure to ride.

If you ride it taught then you will start to feel why some are saying it doesn't handle well. Some upgrade will indeed make the bike more easy to ride ;)
Some affordable, some expensive IMO.

I'm not as experienced as many of the guys here, but still it's fine for me.

i have 2 complaints as far as handling goes.....to me the max feels "uncertain" when entering sharp turns.
and in a strong crosswind the max can be very SCARY!!! i have been litteraly blown off the road!! never never had a bike that had this caracteristic.

I'd say that the vmax will out handle the HD. Things like better springs up front, shocks out back and some EBC HH pads in the calipers with stainless lines REALLY helps the bike a lot. Going to radial makes a HUGE difference as well but isn't needed. The CG on the HD is VERY low so that's nice but it's also very low on the Vmax due to the fact that the gas is under the seat and the engine sits pretty low in the frame.

Personally I think you'll be amazed. Post '93 with the larger forks and brakes made a huge difference. A lot of the articles you read are from pre '93 bikes. Like "I saw Jesus so many times I started using him as a braking marker." lol

Chris

A Vmax will out do anything a HD can . Cruiser vs Muscle bike . As for to up most round here opt for a better seat . :punk:

Let me start by saying the Vmax is my first street bike period.

IF you drive responsibly - it will handle well.

It can also be made to handle a lot better, from what I gather.

I was worried about the handling too. I read all these stories about it.

I have no regrets.

Guys,thanks for the replies.

Rollie,I hadn't realised the Vmax was so connected to the Royal Star,which in turns makes it a decendent of the Venture,of the 80's,right?,which in turn makes me,a right Dick.(not for the first time).
I used a Venture in the states for about 4Kmiles,about 6 years ago,it was smooth & above 10mph was nice for such a big bike,but it was the top heaviest unwieldiest bike I have ever been on at low(parking lot speeds).
If the max resembles the Venture at low speed,i'm out,please tell me it's not balanced like the Venture.

Oh & i'm looking at the max because it's got the right riding position for me(old fashioned)I can't get used to the feet forward cruiser position,my Dyna is a standard mid peg position.

Remember the Vmax fuel tank is under the seat. So the total gas weight is right around 25 pounds.

The only similarity is the V-4 layout of the engine. Cams and heads are different.

The old Venture from the '80s is where this engine came from. A lot of guys transplant the 1300 from the later '80s ventures into the max for a slight increase in power.

It's NOT top heavy. I've driven a lot of bikes and it's VERY stable at slow speeds IMO.

Chris

Guys,thanks for the replies.

Rollie,I hadn't realised the Vmax was so connected to the Royal Star,which in turns makes it a decendent of the Venture,of the 80's,right?,which in turn makes me,a right Dick.(not for the first time).
I used a Venture in the states for about 4Kmiles,about 6 years ago,it was smooth & above 10mph was nice for such a big bike,but it was the top heaviest unwieldiest bike I have ever been on at low(parking lot speeds).
If the max resembles the Venture at low speed,i'm out,please tell me it's not balanced like the Venture.

Oh & i'm looking at the max because it's got the right riding position for me(old fashioned)I can't get used to the feet forward cruiser position,my Dyna is a standard mid peg position.

Dick, correct on the descendancy of the Venture motor of the 80s and 90s to the Max motor. Yes again, on the Venture being a little top heavy , as is the Royal Star. Max is easier to ride at lower speeds , but I don't know any Maxers that ride at lower speeds. LOL. However, unless you ride in parking lots like a lot of h.d. riders do, you don't notice it above 15 mph and you learn to appreciate the heavy bike at speed. Mine cruises very well at 80 with plenty left to pass or leave my h.d. friends. I would recommend either the Venture or Royal Star for 2 up comfortable cruising and the max for 2 up muscle cruising. You also get reliable and affordable service from either of the Yamahas vs. the h.d.

Thanks,Chris.Although I said the Venture was top heavy at low speed,once it got going it was a very nice big tourer,I thought it outrode my mates same year Goldwing by quite a margin.(So did He).:biglaugh:

Never ridden a superglide but I have spent a bit of time on a few HDs including a fatbob. The fatbob handles really well even at low speeds. I remember a lot of the reviews raved about the bob being the best handling harley in recent years. I would have to agree best handling one I was ever on.

Now my Vmax is lower and longer than stock so its a little sluggish at first. But honestly other than the little bit of front end wobble (which I know how and how not to make it do) I think the vmax handles better than I had expected going into it. I was like you and read all the crap around the internet saying how poorly it handles. It is by no means a sportbike but at the same time is very easy to adjust to and I dont feel like its top heavy or unbalanced at slow speeds.

In direct comparison I wont lie I think the bob was better handling but the overall package makes the vmax way more worth it.

My Max has stock suspension but I keep it tight. I put some super low bars on it and some round tires.Get used to the bike and shell treat you well. Youre ganna have a lot of weight and a lot of power. The Max rides 2 up like a dream and has plenty of power to do it. Ive NEVER met a Harley that could out-do my Max in ANY way other than the price tag.

They handle differently than most other bikes,not harder to ride just different.Ive owned 2 Ventures and they do NOT handle like a V-Max at all, except for the passing cars with ease part.So take her out on a twisty road and get familiar. With some practice you will be scraping the pegs and the toes of your boots off like crazy.

heres a picture of the rubber missing from my boot from my last outing.(on stock shocks)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 18
Before I got my Max, I had the same concern. All I remembered reading about was the "point-and -shoot" description of the early VMax reviews. They talked about poor handling, shaft jacking, and other maladies. My other bike currently is a '94 (3rd generation) Honda Magna. It is a SWEET handling bike in the twisties, and I was really concerned that the max wouldn't measure up. Shouldn't have worried. The VMax's handling is very similar, even possibly a bit quicker responding to inputs. The major difference is the foot positioning. The Magna's foot position is several inches forward of the Max, but it is a transition that's easy to get used to. I switch from one to the other now with no problems. They're both great handling bikes, and twisting the throttle on the Max when exiting a turn is S-0-0-0 MUCH FUN!

and in a strong crosswind the max can be very SCARY!!! i have been litteraly blown off the road!!

I've been hit several times over the years by heavy crosswinds and every time Max automatically leaned into the wind and continued to track straight. Then the wind let up and Max straightened right up....no problems.....no input on my part.

I don't know if they do this over in England but I would just find a Yammy dealer with a used Max and act very interested in buying it and have them let you take it out for a test ride. They might even have it priced reasonable....:clapping::clapping:....it's possible...Otherwise up until the Gen II came out you could ride brand new ones free at major bike rallies.

I'm old always ride 2-up,& i'm definatley not Rossi,so R1 type handling's not a requirement.

I ride my Max a lot, 60 miles a day to and from work. At speeds over 85 it's unstable, and as speed increases it gets worse. Over 115 and I feel suicidal riding it so I keep it under 85.

I've heard that lowering the bike on the front forks and radials help, when I need a tire I'll check it out.

On Florida roads I can only judge turn handling at U turns and cloverleafs and in both cases the Max is pretty nimble.

It has plenty of power for two riders too.

Riding an HD is about the last thing I would want to do, but for sure it's much better in turns than any metric cruiser I have had.

i also went from magnas to the max, it responds much much better at slow speeds. i wish i took my license test on it instead.

going into a turn fast, your heart jumps as you feel the bike wanting to change its mind... but its all ok in the end.

its not necessarily worse.... its just different. the magna i could ride all day and do fast sweeping turns with one hand. my max over 45 mph, if i let go with one hand and hit even the smallest pebble on the rode, it wobbles BAD. but two hands on i never wobble. my bars arent slapping my tank or anything but they are moving back and forth fast enough to scare me a little.

p.s. these are with dry rotted tires, i swapped them out with new tires i dunno if it will do the wobble or not now.

i let my friend sit on it and put his feet up on the pegs, all he said was, "WOW... it IS a drag bike!, thats gonna take some getting used to!!" :rofl_200:

Hey Morgan, there is no comparison of slow speed handling with the Gen I Venture. You flat out just don't have to deal with the weight. The wet weight on a Gen 1 Venture is somewhere between 750-785bs (depending on whether it was the 1200cc or 1300cc model). Wet weight on a stock Vmax is about 625lbs. Key point is where the weight is located. On the Venture it is in the fairing, trunk, etc...thus making it top heavy and a bear to handle in a parking lot. And with the Max, its is all down low. Nice and flickable in comparison....

Of course, my personal comparison is a bit greater as my other bike is a Gen II Venture, otherwise known as the Royal Star Venture (on which it is based). Same engine as the Royal Star but it has bigger carbs and twice the airbox capacity, thus pumping out about 20 more horses...but it also has a wet weight of 870lbs. It handles like a stuffed pig in a parking lot, but like the orginal Venture, it is great once out on the open road. the handling difference between these 2 is like jumping from a Cadillac Escalade into a Corvette:biglaugh:

Back