Harbor Freight trailer review?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
Has anyone ever bought/used a Harbor Freight trailer?

I am looking here: http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/trailer-accessories.html

And in my mind it would work out great, but I would be a bit worried about long trips.

So any experence towing a vmax on one of these? I am not planning on buying in the real near future, but its just something to put on my "List"

Thanks.

buddy has the 4x8' and i asked for a quick blurb:

4x8
con under heigh weight (overloaded by 1k) the fenders hit the tires (fix just bend fenders up)
pro's tons of install hardware and fits a 4x8 playwood perfect
con - takes solid 3 hours to build
con comes with 1 7/8 ball but easily replaced with 2 inch for 20$
run dedicated ground lines

bottom line?

steal
for 250
comes with title!

Not sure which one of them we have but it worked well. Towed the blower bike out from California just fine.

Sean

Awesome.

It will be going on the "To buy list" when I get home. I have a LOT of stuff I need to buy/pay off first though lol.

It should be fine to carry a Vmax. I would prefer to have larger tires than 12" but would work ok; carry spare(s). I would hate to have to drive the trailer down the road with a flat tire or worse yet leave the Vmax on side of the road!
I have a 4x6 utility trailer from Tractor Supply that I used to carry my full sized quad around with but too small for a Vmax. The trailer had 13" wheels and was fine. I guess I got a deal on it as I paid $289 for it and now they are $450!!!! They have quite a few trailers that will carry the Vmax but they are not cheap: http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/search...Bhg2gEj&modaf=rn:cat2:trailerstowing_trailers

I had the most expensive one for years. Built an enclosure to protect the bike from damage. Worked fine. I would prefer larger tires for really long trips though. Added a spare tire and bracket and 2" ball receiver.

It should be fine to carry a Vmax. I would prefer to have larger tires than 12" but would work ok; carry spare(s). I would hate to have to drive the trailer down the road with a flat tire or worse yet leave the Vmax on side of the road!
I have a 4x6 utility trailer from Tractor Supply that I used to carry my full sized quad around with but too small for a Vmax. The trailer had 13" wheels and was fine. I guess I got a deal on it as I paid $289 for it and now they are $450!!!! They have quite a few trailers that will carry the Vmax but they are not cheap: http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/search...Bhg2gEj&modaf=rn:cat2:trailerstowing_trailers

The tires is really what concerns me. i.e. going down the interstate, trips over a day long ect ect.

But so far everyone seems to have positive feedback. I will deffently take a spare or two for it though. If I had the money, I would buy higher quality. But if it works it works so I am happy lol.

the ride will be bumpy with the small wheels, but at least it has leaf springs.

the ride will be bumpy with the small wheels, but at least it has leaf springs.

Not that bumpy with a heavy bike in it. I've hauled furniture, appliances, etc in addition to bikes of various sizes. Nothing longer that a couple hundred miles in one day though.

I just built this one a few weeks ago off of a frame that was given to me, I've got about $350 into everything but I couldn't buy one this nice for that much... It's a 6'by 8' and it towes great, I did put slightly bigger tires on it than the pics show because with 2 bikes I was pushing the envelope on weight but the new tires are rated at 1090lbs each so I don't have to worry anymore...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349216740553.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349216740553.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 22
  • uploadfromtaptalk1349216774335.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349216774335.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 22
  • uploadfromtaptalk1349216801242.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349216801242.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 21
  • uploadfromtaptalk1349216821381.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349216821381.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 21
  • uploadfromtaptalk1349216841598.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349216841598.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 25
I know this is more than likely more than you want to pay but what about a enclosed trailer. I picked up this one for $3000 brand new, it's a 6'x12 v nose trailer w/ 15" tires.
IMG_1625.jpg IMG_1621.jpg IMG_1631.jpg

I'm guessing that you could find a used one from Craiglist for half that. Here are some listings: Craigslist Seattle/ Tacoma
Losts of different options.

Here is said trailer with said vmax. Towed at speeds of 80mph and from Cali to Kansas with no issues at all. used to haul other things as well once it made it home.

Sean

Attachments

• downsized_1023001218.jpg
    downsized_1023001218.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 22
The HF trailer is a good cheap unit that you can improve if you wish. I never trailer anywhere w/o @ least 1 spare, & 2 if I am going > 50 miles 1-way. Also a floor jack, one of those small 14" lift ones. I saw on the Internet there were a lot of guys saying the HF is good enough to go the distance.

I just bought one of these used, w/a spare canopy, new. The guy sold his H-D & didn't need it so I bought it. I already have one & was going to buy another replacement canopy when I found this deal.
http://www.cycleshell.com/specs.html

These are good protection & made in the USA, Boulder CO. The VMax fits the 'Cruiser' model just fine. No worrying about the cover melting on the exhaust after a ride, the bike stays nice & dry in FL rain, so that's a good product!

The guy also had a 'trailer in a bag' for sale, he was asking $600, said it was $1200 new. Website:
http://shop.trailerinabag.com/product.php?productid=1&cat=1&page=1

The thing looked like new, but I already have a flatbed trailer w/low sides, works well for my uses.

I almost bought the HF trailer, but came upon a nice enclosed. The bigger the tire the better.
I sprung for 6 ply Carlile14" tires and don't regret it.
Steve-o

Perfect for around town and can't beat the price. Ball size is a non issue to me but to my wife, that may be a different story. We have them at work and they do sit a bit high off the ground. A piece of Diamond plate would be an awesome upgrade. I had my center stand go through the 3/8 ply maybe from sitting outside too long, maybe strapped down too hard? Don't forget you'll have to do something for a ramp.

Latest posts

Back