Hard Cold Starting with Carb Farts!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwood

Reaction score
I have been having a new issue that just started this riding season, when the bike is warm/hot no problems starting, when the bike is COLD from sitting a few hours to overnight, I put the choke on and my Odyssey battery turns the engine over at a great pace! the carbs (not sure which one(s) back fire (fart), let off the start button and do it again the bike starts right up; or it wont start and I get a LOUD BACK FIRE from the exhaust... I do smell gas when this occurs.. I believe the carbs are flooding, The next day I tried starting with the choke at about 25% open, no carb farts but the engine turned and turned for about 10 secs before firing up... Now today I tried starting it with no choke, the bike would not fire at all, I left the choke off and held the throttle open just a hair off idle, the bike started right up...

ANY IDEAS??? :bang head:

Pea shooter routine time? Probably have some junk in one or more idle circuits.

Easy to do. With airbox top removed, use N eye dropper to dribble seafoam down each of th paj inlets with the bike wrmed and running. Resync at the same time is a good idea too, if you have gauges.

Fresh plugs, gaped right, are never a waste of money. My bike does that with an excessive plug gap. I settled at .030 with COP coils.

That was going to be my first item to do.. I also run cops...

Sent by the Verizon 4G Data Network

That was going to be my first item to do.. I also run cops...

Changed out the plugs, they look great! Burning nicely... Not rich, not lean, just right...

Okay I found my problem, I went ahead and did a sync on the carburetors to make sure they were within spec, they were set perfectly, I went to put the small caps back on the sync ports and noticed two were cracked, I replaced them with new caps and the bike starts up just fine... so I am assuming that it was getting an air leak through the Sync Ports all working fine now!

Yeah in that case you were starting lean and choke would correct it by introducing more fuel.

Latest posts

Back