Hard Start when warm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcoop99

Reaction score
I was looking into the sticky about this and want to make sure this is the problem I have. My 89 always starts but at times (mostly when hot) it BARELY turns over. I have had bikes in the past that when you push down the start button it cranks multiple times very quickly and then starts, but with this, it will turn.....turn.....tur..START. Also, when idling in neutral, it also seems to barely stay started. This can be right after starting or after I have driven 50 miles. I seem to always have to be in the throttle at a stop sign/light. Thanks fellas!

OK, so I passed the initial steps. Now what? I seem to have suffient "juice". The bike runs great with the choke on and when Im at stop at stoplight, I have to keep on the throttle while in idle or clutch engaged. Is there a way to adjust the idle? Im confused because that won't fixt he hard/non start issue.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

There is an idle speed adjusting knob on the left side just under the carb cover. No tools required. A smigeon over 1000 rpm is about right. I'm not sure the idle speed is your issue though. I'd start with a sync, A/F adjustment, then an idle speed set. Also inspect the tank for rust, get a new fuel filter and plugs. There should be a good responce when turning in each A/F screw. Try to get someone to assist you from this forum if possible. I'm thinking an air leak from the rubber carb boots as an issue since the electrical stuff has been verified good, just a hunch.
Steve-o
Steve-o

i agree with steve-o......do a basic tune up then look for carb related issues. may be time for a good carb cleaning. when you say it runs good with the choke on...im inclined to think the pilot circuts are dirty.

OK, so I passed the initial steps. Now what? I seem to have suffient "juice". The bike runs great with the choke on and when Im at stop at stoplight, I have to keep on the throttle while in idle or clutch engaged. Is there a way to adjust the idle? Im confused because that won't fixt he hard/non start issue.

My 89's the same way. I've been through everything in the book and then some trying to make warm or hot starts go better. At times I wonder if the bike will catch and run. I have a later model 4 pole starter to go in which should solve the hard start when warm problem. Just need the time and energy to pull the old starter and install the newer one. Early starters are 2 pole and weaker. You need a starter in good shape from 90 or newer. I also have had an Odyssey Battery in for about 2 years, that battery holds 12.95 volts charge.

This Thread will help you understand some of what I've gone through...
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=15009&highlight=skullduggery

I really hesitate to mess with the carbs or any adjustments. I have Mark's (Maleko) old bike. I know he is a Carb guru and I haven't touched them since buying it almost 2 years ago.

Kyle, give me a call or shoot me a PM. I can come out and take a look and make any necessary adjustments.

The original 'hot start issue' sounds to me like it may be time to tune up the starter motor too. If the charging system is performing up to spec, and it still turns over slowly while cranking with a hot motor, then the brush plate locating tabs prolly need tweeked for a tighter fit/ground connection to the starter case. I'm sure Mark knows all the shortcuts to make starter removal and cleaning a quick, easy project too.

:biglaugh:
The original 'hot start issue' sounds to me like it may be time to tune up the starter motor too. If the charging system is performing up to spec, and it still turns over slowly while cranking with a hot motor, then the brush plate locating tabs prolly need tweeked for a tighter fit/ground connection to the starter case. I'm sure Mark knows all the shortcuts to make starter removal and cleaning a quick, easy project too.

i agree. clean and then bend them lil tabs up....the starter will thank you :biglaugh:

Had a friend help me check the battery when trying to start and it read 6.6.....pretty sure the battery is toast.

If the battery was that low, it would be difficult to spin the motor hot OR COLD. A brand-spanking new battery never hurts though. Lots of options out there. I did the battery box mod as shown here on the forum, and added a larger battery with more Cold Cranking Amps.

I really hesitate to mess with the carbs or any adjustments. I have Mark's (Maleko) old bike. I know he is a Carb guru and I haven't touched them since buying it almost 2 years ago.

At the very least you need a good sync! That's supposed to be done quite regularly according to the service schedule. I'm sure Mark'll sort it for ya if you ask :)

Provided your battery is still fully charged, and it's only doing this AFTER the motor is warmed up and/or completely hot, it is time you pulled that starter off and improved the brush plates' contact with the starter casing.

Back